2023-24 Coaching Carousel | Page 13 | Syracusefan.com

2023-24 Coaching Carousel

Arkansas has more NIL money than Kentucky. Kentucky isn’t exactly top tierNIL program, because they didn’t have to be. They were fueled and funded by cal and his gang and boosters. A fat Nil cupboard on top of his “people” following him is a bigger bag than he’s ever had.

I’ve seen some people say they don’t see much potential dominoes with players because they’ll follow everyone/their coaches. I’m not so sure about that. Obviously some will follow cal because the bag. But this is a chain reaction, and not every player from every team will end up at their old school or with their old coach.

Cal to Arkansas, where do all the Kentucky guys end up? Where are the remaining Arkansas guys that don’t follow muss going?

Oates/Hurley/drew/etc to Kentucky, where do all those guys who don’t follow go?

Whoever replaces that huge job of alabama, uconn, Baylor, etc where will those players go who don’t follow?

My point is it goes ON AND ON AND ON. It started with the usc job and now we’re here, with more to follow. Players will continue to open up.

Arkansas has more NIL money than Kentucky. Kentucky isn’t exactly top tierNIL program, because they didn’t have to be. They were fueled and funded by cal and his gang and boosters. A fat Nil cupboard on top of his “people” following him is a bigger bag than he’s ever had.

I’ve seen some people say they don’t see much potential dominoes with players because they’ll follow everyone/their coaches. I’m not so sure about that. Obviously some will follow cal because the bag. But this is a chain reaction, and not every player from every team will end up at their old school or with their old coach.

Cal to Arkansas, where do all the Kentucky guys end up? Where are the remaining Arkansas guys that don’t follow muss going?

Oates/Hurley/drew/etc to Kentucky, where do all those guys who don’t follow go?

Whoever replaces that huge job of alabama, uconn, Baylor, etc where will those players go who don’t follow?

My point is it goes ON AND ON AND ON. It started with the usc job and now we’re here, with more to follow. Players will continue to open up.
That’s why there’s only one guy to fix UK.

Danny Hurley.

College Basketball Sport GIF by NCAA March Madness

College basketball has gotten old, but we're also entering the fourth and final year of having 5th year covid seniors. I think guys like Cal need to mix a couple senior transfers in with his HS lotto picks, but I do wonder if after this year the age difference won't be as dramatic. The portal is making teams older anyway because teams focus on transfers instead of HS recruits, so it will still be important to be old, but there might be a big of a fall off and maybe Cal's system doesn't need a complete rebuild, but instead just a tweak by supplementing with one or two old guys.

That’s the guy who’s made up headlines in the past.
Don't doubt it. I'm sure there will be a lot of rumors swirling now...although the potential candidate lists being thrown around is only a handful of coaches and Hurley is on that list.

It will be interesting if Cal decides to keep riding the large, highly rated recruiting classes to fill his roster with young players or if he will change & go all in on the portal (NIL$) to create the best transfer roster possible at Arkansas.

People also think Dan Hurley has always dominated. It took him several years of building to get to this point. He did the same at Rhode Island. UK doesn’t have the patience for building.

Oats may be the best bet to hit the ground running. He can recruit and does well with the portal. But even he is not perfect and has had a couple mediocre seasons.

Assuming UConn wins tonight, what else can he do at UConn? Back to back titles. Still in a mid major conference. He’s not a UConn alum. UConn has a cute little northeastern fan base, but UK is national and absolutely rabid, especially if he’s successful.

He’d make 3x the money and turn UK into something UConn could never be.

His ego is real

People also think Dan Hurley has always dominated. It took him several years of building to get to this point. He did the same at Rhode Island. UK doesn’t have the patience for building.

Oats may be the best bet to hit the ground running. He can recruit and does well with the portal. But even he is not perfect and has had a couple mediocre seasons.
UK fans have come around - they didn’t like the way Cal was doing it lately

It will be interesting if Cal decides to keep riding the large, highly rated recruiting classes to fill his roster with young players or if he will change & go all in on the portal (NIL$) to create the best transfer roster possible at Arkansas.

Cal is just as likely to change as Jim Boeheim was. It will never happen. He is old school. His way or else.

UK fans have come around - they didn’t like the way Cal was doing it lately
They just didn’t like the results. He was still killing it in recruiting. Had 10/11 NBA players in the last 4yrs with one tournament victory. He was never a great in game coach. But he got really bad these past few seasons.
Winning cures all ills. But unfortunately for Cal he wasn’t getting it done when it counted.

They just didn’t like the results. He was still killing it in recruiting. Had 10/11 NBA players in the last 4yrs with one tournament victory. He was never a great in game coach. But he got really bad these past few seasons.
Winning cures all ills. But unfortunately for Cal he wasn’t getting it done when it counted.
Roster construction has been one of, if not his biggest flaw at Kentucky.

Yes, exactly. They were tired of the constant churning of players when they don’t win.