2023 Bowl Projections thread | Page 7 | Syracusefan.com

2023 Bowl Projections thread

The entire point of FBS football is bowl games, it’s literally in the name. I get that some people aren’t interested in them, but I’m not sure why they seem to be so vocal and seemingly even against them.

Nothing like bowl games, gives us something to look forward to around Christmas and extends the entire college football season for a month. We went to our first bowl game last year and had a blast even though we lost .

The fact that our AD has set it as the goal, as well as many (admittedly not all) players looking forward to them proves they are not only not meaningless, but in indeed very meaningful.

David - I’m saying this in the most respectful way, seriously. So if there’s any hint I’m being a jerk, I absolutely am not.

I completely get what you are saying and for you, it makes sense. You’ve been an SU fan for like 2 years. Your sense of a bowl is very different than mine. I’m 45 (I think, I’d have to do the math) and definitely not as old as some of the people on here but I’ve been an SU fan since about 1990 and my greatest memories were around the McNabb time frame. Back then, bowls meant far more than they do now. For many reasons I’m not going into. But if your team made a bowl it was literally like a Super Bowl.

That is gone in college now. It feels more like a spring game. What you know of bowls is how it is now, you never experienced what the bowl season really was like, especially for an SU fan that didn’t go bowling every year. I went to the Pinstripe bowls, except the last one. They felt that same way too.

But with the portal, even greater coaching turnover now than before and it happens before bowls are even played, and players sitting out bowl games. That Super Bowl feeling is not there anymore. I don’t think I’m alone in feeling that. And honestly it makes me really really sad because this has been part of who I am every weekend even though we’ve sucked a large % of my life. I’m still there every weekend watching. So to have that carrot and Super Bowl type game reduced to a spring game, it’s a struggle to continue caring about the sport each year.

David - I’m saying this in the most respectful way, seriously. So if there’s any hint I’m being a jerk, I absolutely am not.

I completely get what you are saying and for you, it makes sense. You’ve been an SU fan for like 2 years. Your sense of a bowl is very different than mine. I’m 45 (I think, I’d have to do the math) and definitely not as old as some of the people on here but I’ve been an SU fan since about 1990 and my greatest memories were around the McNabb time frame. Back then, bowls meant far more than they do now. For many reasons I’m not going into. But if your team made a bowl it was literally like a Super Bowl.

That is gone in college now. It feels more like a spring game. What you know of bowls is how it is now, you never experienced what the bowl season really was like, especially for an SU fan that didn’t go bowling every year. I went to the Pinstripe bowls, except the last one. They felt that same way too.

But with the portal, even greater coaching turnover now than before and it happens before bowls are even played, and players sitting out bowl games. That Super Bowl feeling is not there anymore. I don’t think I’m alone in feeling that. And honestly it makes me really really sad because this has been part of who I am every weekend even though we’ve sucked a large % of my life. I’m still there every weekend watching. So to have that carrot and Super Bowl type game reduced to a spring game, it’s a struggle to continue caring about the sport each year.
I get what you’re saying, and our two very different experiences probably do shape our perceptions a lot. Also I do respect that you’ve been an SU fan for a lot longer than me.

Birmingham Bowl
Dec. 23
Birmingham, AL

Syracuse vs Troy (-11)

He has GT in a bowl as well. So assumes GT beats us this weekend, and then we beat Wake.

That spread, lol.

Guess it would be good to go somewhere new and play someone new. We've been to 7 bowls this century, in only 4 different stadiums against only 4 different opponents.

wish action network had an app that actually worked for what its supposed to do,

ESPN dot com
IMG_8893.jpeg
IMG_8892.jpeg

Agreed. The bowls are awful aside from the playoff and its sad because when i was younger (im 53) they were so much fun to watch and seemed to mean way more. Between players sitting out, half empty stadiums and barely .500 teams playing each other in sometimes baseball stadiums its lost its luster. Maybe its just me. Get off my lawn

Agreed. The bowls are awful aside from the playoff and its sad because when i was younger (im 53) they were so much fun to watch and seemed to mean way more. Between players sitting out, half empty stadiums and barely .500 teams playing each other in sometimes baseball stadiums its lost its luster. Maybe its just me. Get off my lawn
Marsh, I’m 52, I can remember getting that Independence Bowl bid in ‘79 vs Mc Neese St. It was the greatest because I never saw Syracuse in a Bowl before. I do agree with you, Bowls except for the playoffs are so different than the “old days”, you never know who is playing in the game and what the “want” to be there is.

I get what you’re saying, and our two very different experiences probably do shape our perceptions a lot. Also I do respect that you’ve been an SU fan for a lot longer than me.

I’m not saying in of that to make it seem like that makes me a better fan in any way. So I hope you realize that.

You said it perfectly, we’ve had different experiences with the same team. I think it’s awesome you’ve found the team and getting enjoyment out of being part of all of this.

I've never heard of the Action Network. Sounds like a place where Frozen, Christy Canyon and Amber Lynn would hang out.
Brett has bounced around a lot, I remember him at the now defunct Tampa Bay Times, he's been with Yahoo, Stadium and now Action Network. He might have even had stints with CBS Sports online and ESPN. I've been reading him for years, does his homework and does a solid job. I think he's always been real fair when reporting about Syracuse too. He's pretty accurate too with his bowl projections.

Last edited:
It's like those old scrambled tv programs at 2 am... LOL aka, the Spice channel
There was a scrambled adult channel when we first had cable on Long Island in like 1980, it was called Action Plus. With that stache, there is no doubt McMurphy was in a few Action Plus movies and he definitely named his site after that channel

Marsh, I’m 52, I can remember getting that Independence Bowl bid in ‘79 vs Mc Neese St. It was the greatest because I never saw Syracuse in a Bowl before. I do agree with you, Bowls except for the playoffs are so different than the “old days”, you never know who is playing in the game and what the “want” to be there is.
Agreed. Lovee that 79 team

Why are some complaining about what/if any bowl Cuse could make.
I agree 100% that reaching a bowl now is no where like it was in the past. But college football is no where what it used to be either.

I like to watch SU play football as long as I can regardless of what crappy bowl. Football season goes by so fast.
It gives 15 more days of practice that you don’t get if you can’t reach 6 wins. ( maybe the other half of fbs teams should get 20 days to help them improve).

Just beat Gtech and move on.

Man, you guys are so old (I'm 50).

The NY6 and playoff bowls are still fun to watch. The rest are basically previews of next year. I don't watch nearly as many as I used to. I would watch any SU game of course, it was fun to see what Allen could do last year. But I wouldn't spend the money to attend any of the games we're under consideration for, with the exception of Military in Annapolis (45 minutes away).

I actually think a the largest part of the "SUPER BOWL" aspect being gone among the reasons you mentioned is Conf Realigment.

You'd basically played the SAME teams every year. You'd play a couple OOC games, your general rivals (either eastern indies or later Big East for us), and if you got to a bowl, it'd feel like what I imagine the early AFC vs NFC game felt like.

I remember watching us play LSU in the HOF game and it'd feel like we were playing a team from outer space. Now? Everyone is on TV every week.

Agreed. Lovee that 79 team
did it 100% on the road, home games at Giants Stadium, Rich Stadium, Schoelkopf at Cornell, I think they may have played a home game at Andy Kerr at Colgate, I can’t remember where else (did they play one in Rochester too? Shea?) A pretty good accomplishment.

did it 100% on the road, home games at Giants Stadium, Rich Stadium, Schoelkopf at Cornell, I think they may have played a home game at Andy Kerr at Colgate, I can’t remember where else (did they play one in Rochester too? Shea?) A pretty good accomplishment.
They only had 5 ‘home’ games that season.

Two at Rich Stadoim.

Two at Giants Stadium.

And one in Ithaca.

Pretty impressive to win 6 with that schedule and the talent on that team.

Man, this is the ultimate conundrum, I think Dino needs to go, but I love going to Bowl Games I try to make every one Syracuse plays in, but I don’t think Syracuse pulls the trigger if Dino makes a bowl with that schedule next year I would be shocked.

whats funny is just 2 years ago? maybe 3, maybe 1...all we talked about was getting bowl eligible.

now even that is not good enough for this Board.

SMH

He has GT in a bowl as well. So assumes GT beats us this weekend, and then we beat Wake.

That spread, lol.

Guess it would be good to go somewhere new and play someone new. We've been to 7 bowls this century, in only 4 different stadiums against only 4 different opponents.
Dude we got a score to settle with Minnesota

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseEagle8

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom