2023 college football playoffs | Page 14 | Syracusefan.com

2023 college football playoffs

I’m saying in general. They’re ranking is higher than it should be based on their schedule.

Gotcha.

Obviously, I interpreted it more literally - i.e., you were questioning about why they shifted to #1.

Well except for the fact the ACC has a winning record against the SEC and B10 in OOC games this year. But other than that statistic.
The injury to Jordan Travis really hurt the Noles chances of making the playoffs. Did anyone who watched last night's ACC championship game think FSU could win it all? Playing the 55th toughest schedule is a statistic that didn't help Florida State.

BC like Auburn is 6-6. Bama beat Auburn only because a guy slipped and fell down fielding a punt.
I’m not defending the snub of FSU, to be clear, I am saying that you can point at the BC game as a bad look, even though there wasn’t a bad coaching decision/dude falling down as part of it

The injury to Jordan Travis really hurt the Noles chances of making the playoffs. Did anyone who watched last night's ACC championship game think FSU could win it all? Playing the 55th toughest schedule is a statistic that didn't help Florida State.

I don't understand this mindset. Why can't they win with defense? Why do people only look at offense? Why can't they win with a running game and strong defense? Their defense took a top-20 offense and held them to 6 points. Why couldn't they do the same in the playoffs? That is a terrible argument.

They don't want to give FSU a chance because a 9-6 defensive game doesn't impress the TV people.

Just once I would have liked to have seen the SEC not get the benefit of the doubt. Instead, the committee used their typical amorphous and convenient standards to hand a playoff berth to the most entitled fanbase in the country. Winning on the field means nothing, because you're not part of the golden conference. A shameful decision was made, not that anyone involved with decision making in college football gives a damn. Much like boxing, the sport is hopelessly corrupt.

This can’t help FSUs prospects for getting an invite to the SEC huh? They’ll probably get laughed at if they think they can pay the buyout and join.
Their lawyers just got extra $ to circumvent the mighty GOR

Your point is irrelevant. Hypothetical "what ifs" don't matter. It's what is produced on the field in competition. FSU's resume earned the right for them to play in the playoff. Who is to say that FSU's defense and offense wouldn't propel them to win? Adversity is often listed as a characteristic of a championship team. I guess we might as well have Georgia/Alabama/Ohio State/Michigan rotate playing for the championship every year if the "look test" is all that matters (SMH).

I don't understand this mindset. Why can't they win with defense? Why do people only look at offense? Why can't they win with a running game and strong defense? Their defense took a top-20 offense and held them to 6 points. Why couldn't they do the same in the playoffs? That is a terrible argument.

They don't want to give FSU a chance because a 9-6 defensive game doesn't impress the TV people.
Also... what anyone "thinks" would happen should be irrelevant in a world where outcomes matter, but today I learned that they don't.

The conference is weak, and doomed. This is still pretty crazy but we have a trash conference
Trash conference that basically rigs games against us for these top schools. Every time we had Clemson or FSU on the ropes at their place the refs step in to save them. Good riddance FSU had no shot without Travis against any of these teams what good does making it to get blown out do them?

Methinks Damien took too many shots to the noggin.

“They” absolutely did NOT get it right.
I was forced to root for that Hornet for 4 years. But when he was done I thankfully could go back to hating FM. LOL

Your point is irrelevant. Hypothetical "what ifs" don't matter. It's what is produced on the field in competition. FSU's resume earned the right for them to play in the playoff. Who is to say that FSU's defense and offense wouldn't propel them to win? Adversity is often listed as a characteristic of a championship team. I guess we might as well have Georgia/Alabama/Ohio State/Michigan rotate playing for the championship every year if the "look test" is all that matters (SMH).
The only way to show the TV executives that the Big and SEC aren't all that matter is in the pocketbook.
They get the big money because they believe that's all people want to see.
There is a good way to show them they are wrong, and unwittingly, they have given fans of the ACC, Big 12, the Former Pac 12, and all the little conferences, the opportunity.
On 1/1 watch all the other news years day games, and at 5 when Michigan and Alabama play, turn your TV to something else.

I don't get the gnashing of teeth or "shocked, shocked I tell ya" reactions from some quarters.
FSU did not get in due to the conventional ACC narrative, & the injury to Travis. Much as I might've wanted them to, or they deserved it, it's not a bad decision for a competitive CFP.
Georgia is the team that really got screwed, IMO. They lost by 3 to Bama after winning 29 sec games in a row? Alabama is frankly not that impressive to me. Texas deserved it, they look good- and Mich is overrated and will likely lose to Bama, just like they would've lost to Georgia.
The angst cfb fans are going through is the stark realization that the sport itself is a giant clusterfkc.
Also, I shed no tears for FSU, those arrogant pr*cks. They were dealt the short hand and bad luck timing, but injuries are part of the game. Call it karma for all the preening they've done these last few months. And no, how this "affects" the ACC is beside the point. The narrative is that our conference is "less than". It'll remain that way until we can get sustained winning from more than one program not named Clemson or FSU. And that includes us as well. JMHO

Last edited:
Why is it so assumed that Michigan should be a lock and #1? Best wins were Pedo, Iowa and Ohio State. They also cheated. The rest of their schedule was a joke and Iowa is a joke.

OSU needed a miracle to beat ND. Which by the way was their best OOC win. LVille smoked ND. So on and so forth.

FSU went 2-0 against the SEC. Throttled #5 ranked LSU. So on and so forth.

It’s sucks that it’s all fixed.
These are great points. Forgot the ND-OSU game.
The show announcers did mention the ACC's 6-4 record against the SEC this year at least.
Which should matter. one would think.

Seems the faster they rush to a 40 team AFC/NFC type college football world the better they all think.
And the $$$ pie will be every growing, just like the NFL.

Maybe. Or college football becomes Nascar, something of regional interest.
The Boston. DC and NYC markets are already largely disinterested.

The impressive thing to me is that the five best teams, if we're going by current level - basically, who would Vegas favor, are probably Georgia, Michigan, Ohio State, Washington, Texas. Bama would be sixth at best, but they're leap frogging two better teams to be in. If we go by resume (which is how it should be done), it's gotta be Michigan, Washington, Florida State, then argue about Texas/Georgia/Ohio State. But we didn't get that either.

It's pretty clear that Michigan and Washington were both in. Then they worked backwards. They decided the SEC absolutely had to get a team in... And they couldn't pick Georgia over Bama, so Bama was in. Then they had to decide between FSU and Texas, and Texas won at Tuscaloosa so if you leave them out it's insane. Leaving FSU out is also insane, but you get the injury argument to fall back on. But the bottom line is, they were never going to have zero SEC teams, and they worked backwards from there.

The next time they revise the system it'll be to remove the auto bye and home game for winning your conference, and the top four will always be SEC/B1G.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom