2023 MLB Playoffs Thread | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

2023 MLB Playoffs Thread

Hey let’s leave a guy with a 6.00 ERA in to give up 4 bombs in 1 inning.

This is stupid. I hate sports.
I feel your pain after watching Snitzker tonight

Justin Turner, Kenley Jansen, Corey Seager, Cody Bellinger….most of the guys I liked that were there for basically our whole run and WS title are gone anyway. Playing good for somebody else.

While we’re getting boatraced by the scrubby ass DBacks. SMH.

Format is idiotic. Play 162, win division, 5 game series.

Winning the division barely matters

Eric, I’m pretty sure that the 2nd HR was off of a curve. Would love to hear O’Flaherty’s take on whether crowds/home field impact the outcome of a game.

Homer Joe Simpson is disgusted by the throat slash gesture! Wonder how he feels about Marcell Ozuna, or the Tomahawk Chop?

Eric, I’m pretty sure that the 2nd HR was off of a curve. Would love to hear O’Flaherty’s take on whether crowds/home field impact the outcome of a game.

yeah that's such a dumb tweet. What Harper did last night was unbelievable. Him staring down the SS was all part of it. That's what makes a story, most home runs are hit because the pitcher puts the ball in a favorable place for the hitter. Just so dumb

It's the playoffs it feeds off emotion, that's what makes it fun. We get it, the pitches were better no home runs. Who knew?

If defense was better there would be no touchdowns, no dunks etc. How far you want to take it Eric? Trying to hard to look smart

Justin Turner, Kenley Jansen, Corey Seager, Cody Bellinger….most of the guys I liked that were there for basically our whole run and WS title are gone anyway. Playing good for somebody else.

While we’re getting boatraced by the scrubby ass DBacks. SMH.
I heard Dave Roberts getting criticized this morning but tbh I don't know how they won as many games as they did. The bottom of that batting order is straight trash and the pitching staff - understand it's depleted - is awful. Roberts should be manager of the year.

I heard Dave Roberts getting criticized this morning but tbh I don't know how they won as many games as they did. The bottom of that batting order is straight trash and the pitching staff - understand it's depleted - is awful. Roberts should be manager of the year.
Staff was decimated and the 3 actual starters that we did have were horrific this series.

Throw in Betts and Freeman doing absolutely nothing(1-21 combined in this series), and there’s not a lot Roberts could do. The right guys were in there, they just sucked.

Probably could’ve pulled Lynn sooner, but with Kershaw not making it out of the first and Miller not getting out of the 3rd, the pen was already taxed.

Didn't think anyone would be able to hold the Braves offense down over a series like the Phillies have, but kudos to their pitching. And the Phils were the ones hitting all the homers. $$$ happens over a 5 game series sometimes.

Why does TBS have the little in game info box in the upper left hand corner instead of the lower right as god intended?

Why does TBS have the little in game info box in the upper left hand corner instead of the lower right as god intended?
You must not watch any major football soccer games. :)

The best regular season teams are going down like flies. The Phillies’ series MVP, Nick Castellanos was asked why and said, “What I’ve found out is that the regular season and the post season are two different things.” Two years ago the Giants won a great race for the NL West title the Dodgers, 107-55 over 106-56. It meant nothing. Both were in the playoffs and the pennant was World Series were won by the 88-73 Braves. Last year the Braves and the Mets tied for the NL East title, 101-61. Again, both made the playoffs and neither made the World Series. The 87-75 Phillies, 14 games behind both in the same division, did. This year the Phillies again finished 14 games behind the 104-58 Braves but beat them and the 100-62 Dodgers finished 16 ahead of the 84-78 Diamondbacks, who will play the Phillies to see who gets in the World Series. They won’t play the 101-61 Orioles. Instead, they’ll play either the Astros or Rangers, both 90-72.

This is either a good thing or a bad thing.

I’ll just point out that baseball’s regular season is twice as long in games as basketball and hockey and ten times as football and baseball is the sport where an upset is most likely because 1) you don’t always have your best pitcher on the mound or your best batter at the plate, 2) physical contact between the teams, always minimal, has been virtually eliminated so you can’t overpower your opponent and make them lose and 3), the core skills of the game, throwing a moving round ball to a particular spot and hitting it with a round bat, are inherently unpredictable. Thus, the potential to have an inferior team win a series or even the championship is much higher than the other sports. Put that with the fact that we don’t have pennant races anymore, but we do have November baseball and I have to conclude that expanding baseball playoffs beyond the old four division set up with the division winners going right into the league championship series was a bad idea. I’d like to see two expansion teams and four 8 team divisions, just like we had from 1901-60 with two leagues. We never had a team in the World Series with a record less than 90-72. And the series should be played in mid-October weather, which is usually fine.

The best regular season teams are going down like flies. The Phillies’ series MVP, Nick Castellanos was asked why and said, “What I’ve found out is that the regular season and the post season are two different things.” Two years ago the Giants won a great race for the NL West title the Dodgers, 107-55 over 106-56. It meant nothing. Both were in the playoffs and the pennant was World Series were won by the 88-73 Braves. Last year the Braves and the Mets tied for the NL East title, 101-61. Again, both made the playoffs and neither made the World Series. The 87-75 Phillies, 14 games behind both in the same division, did. This year the Phillies again finished 14 games behind the 104-58 Braves but beat them and the 100-62 Dodgers finished 16 ahead of the 84-78 Diamondbacks, who will play the Phillies to see who gets in the World Series. They won’t play the 101-61 Orioles. Instead, they’ll play either the Astros or Rangers, both 90-72.

This is either a good thing or a bad thing.

I’ll just point out that baseball’s regular season is twice as long in games as basketball and hockey and ten times as football and baseball is the sport where an upset is most likely because 1) you don’t always have your best pitcher on the mound or your best batter at the plate, 2) physical contact between the teams, always minimal, has been virtually eliminated so you can’t overpower your opponent and make them lose and 3), the core skills of the game, throwing a moving round ball to a particular spot and hitting it with a round bat, are inherently unpredictable. Thus, the potential to have an inferior team win a series or even the championship is much higher than the other sports. Put that with the fact that we don’t have pennant races anymore, but we do have November baseball and I have to conclude that expanding baseball playoffs beyond the old four division set up with the division winners going right into the league championship series was a bad idea. I’d like to see two expansion teams and four 8 team divisions, just like we had from 1901-60 with two leagues. We never had a team in the World Series with a record less than 90-72. And the series should be played in mid-October weather, which is usually fine.

My feeling is that a team with 2 or if lucky 3 very good pitchers can beat a team with 5 solid.

If I were in charge of baseball I'd put an even 6 in the playoffs for each league and play a round robin of 10 games and then have the 2 best teams play a 7 game series to go to the WS.

Harper is the best leader in baseball. That team feeds off his confidence, toughness and clutch ability. The rest of those guys feed off him and up their game.

Doesn't hurt that they had better and deeper pitching.

Ya Harper is definitely a strike against the analytics crowd who insisted he was overrated when the Phillies signed him. What a player.

The way they use that inverted bullpen is the opposite though. Didn't Bill James say like 30yrs ago the 3 outs in the 7th are just as important as the 9th.

Props to Spencer Strider, lax name notwithstanding

Spencer is a stand up guy. You should see him talking to the press after his rare bad starts. He doesn't hold back being critical of himself. Also has a really good sense of humor when that's appropriate.

Spencer is a stand up guy. You should see him talking to the press after his rare bad starts. He doesn't hold back being critical of himself. Also has a really good sense of humor when that's appropriate.
He has bad starts? His stuff is electric

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vegasnick

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom