2023 Tewaaraton Watchlist Announced | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

2023 Tewaaraton Watchlist Announced

Watching the UVA game this past weekend, it looked like Xander Dickson should be on this list.

Watching the UVA game this past weekend, it looked like Xander Dickson should be on this list.

Since the list was announced Dickson has 17 points in two games, and is over 50 goals. Not great work by the selection committee.

Would be ridiculous if he's not on that list and in the running. The kid is having a phenomenal yr.

Since the list was announced Dickson has 17 points in two games, and is over 50 goals. Not great work by the selection committee.
There are obvious omissions every year. There are also usually one or two guys who end up on the final list who are riding on past credentials i.e. Sam Handley, Ross Scott ???

Dickson got held down today by Notre Dame, just having 4 goals and an assist.

Men’s 2023 Tewaaraton Finalists:

Tucker Dordevic, Georgetown – Grad. Student, Attack
Pat Kavanagh, Notre Dame – Sr., Attack
CJ Kirst, Cornell – Jr., Attack
Brennan O’Neill, Duke – Jr., Attack
Connor Shellenberger, Virginia – Sr., Attack

Choosing the winner will be very interesting this year. There isn't a clear number 1 in my opinion but if I had to bet, I would put my money on O'Neill.

Choosing the winner will be very interesting this year. There isn't a clear number 1 in my opinion but if I had to bet, I would put my money on O'Neill.

I think O'Neil and Kirst are the favorite but this is mostly a post-season award.

Raw numbers aren't everything, but its interesting that Dickson is averaging more points than Shellenberger 5.29 to 4.77, 4th to 12th), and yet Dickson didn't even make the top 25. Shellenberger has obviously been guarded by the top defender each game, and Dickson mostly the third, or even fourth, but still doesn't add up to me. Shellenberger could very easily go on a massive run in the tournament, but not sure he's one of the top five players in the country right now.

Feels like Kirst and Adler probably split the vote being teammates but kind of feels like Adler should have made the top five. Of course Cornell didn't play an ACC team this year so that perhaps hurt his candidacy as well.

Dordevic is having a great season but still only 14th in Points Per Game. I would think someone like Adler, or Dickson, could be nominated over someone like him as well.

I think O'Neil and Kirst are the favorite but this is mostly a post-season award.

Raw numbers aren't everything, but its interesting that Dickson is averaging more points than Shellenberger 5.29 to 4.77, 4th to 12th), and yet Dickson didn't even make the top 25. Shellenberger has obviously been guarded by the top defender each game, and Dickson mostly the third, or even fourth, but still doesn't add up to me. Shellenberger could very easily go on a massive run in the tournament, but not sure he's one of the top five players in the country right now.

Feels like Kirst and Adler probably split the vote being teammates but kind of feels like Adler should have made the top five. Of course Cornell didn't play an ACC team this year so that perhaps hurt his candidacy as well.

Dordevic is having a great season but still only 14th in Points Per Game. I would think someone like Adler, or Dickson, could be nominated over someone like him as well.
I think Shellenberger has lost the big outside shot that he showed us when he was a freshman. He is still an outstanding player, athough not quite as dangerous.

Shelly still has the outside shot, he's just not usually in the position to use it these days because he's the quarterback. When he was a freshman, he had more step down opportunities because he ran out of the midfield for much of the season, and UVA could run the offense through other guys like Matt Moore.

As for his production, it's pretty clear that Shellenberger has been playing hurt this year. I think he's just as much of a game changer as Kirst and O'Neill, but he hasn't been 100% and thus hasn't had the season that they have had.

Is usually starts with popularity contest. They say year before doesn’t have much weight for incoming year but it does. Some names on the list at first had big seasons last year but dropped off bit this year. Sometimes it’s just who’s the bigger name for team. Always some bias for everything sadly. Not saying most of them arnt deserving but as stated someone like dickson or even joey got left out. It is what it is.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom