2024 Schedule | Page 6 | Syracusefan.com

2024 Schedule

Says the person who thinks this isn't a rebuild. With an easier schedule, improved talent, and a non rebuild, going 6-6 is a step in the right direction? And why are you two negative nellies concentrating on the bad? The schedule is setup for 8-4. Why assume that won't be the case?
There’s a solid core to start with, that’s why it’s not a rebuild. If he closes this class with how he has started the roster will be better than what he picked up. That’s step one.

After that who knows. Talks of red flags is unfounded at the moment

The SU game will not be Ohio's Super Bowl. Not by a long shot. That will be at Kentucky 3 weeks later. Ohio will not be impressed by Syracuse, they play P5 teams every year and beat Iowa St this season. I'm also not sure how good they will be as the QB, RB and stud LB are in the portal. But they will still likely be one of the better MAC teams that you can lose to if you don't play well.
We beat them by 20 last time we played them with our 2021 team that wasn't very good

Meh-AC

The SU game will not be Ohio's Super Bowl. Not by a long shot. That will be at Kentucky 3 weeks later. Ohio will not be impressed by Syracuse, they play P5 teams every year and beat Iowa St this season. I'm also not sure how good they will be as the QB, RB and stud LB are in the portal. But they will still likely be one of the better MAC teams that you can lose to if you don't play well.

Ok, well you took that pretty literally. But I just meant that MAC teams look at these games as enormous opportunities. They only get 1 or 2 of these a year, then spend the last half of the season playing on week nights.

They beat Iowa State this year, so this won't be like playing Kent State (pre and post Sean Lewis).

So I had some outpatient surgery this morning and am still recovering from anesthesia brain. Would the KU game be in Syracuse or KU? Sounds like a home game for us, but since Lawrence is less than an hour from me, I want to make sure.

So I had some outpatient surgery this morning and am still recovering from anesthesia brain. Would the KU game be in Syracuse or KU? Sounds like a home game for us, but since Lawrence is less than an hour from me, I want to make sure.
From what everyone is saying looks like in Cuse. KU is 4 hours from me so a return game sometime would be great.

Ok, well you took that pretty literally. But I just meant that MAC teams look at these games as enormous opportunities. They only get 1 or 2 of these a year, then spend the last half of the season playing on week nights.

They beat Iowa State this year, so this won't be like playing Kent State (pre and post Sean Lewis).
I probably took it literally just because I am an Ohio grad so it was literal to me! You are absolutley right about the 2 P5 opportunities every year. Ohio wins one of those every 3-4 years and is usually at least competitive, which is better than when I went there and we'd lose 65-3 to WVU or Minnesota.

Didn't the backup QB get some good PT when the starter was hurt in the opening game? Ohio, Toledo, NoIll are MAC teams I wouldn't schedule as a P5. Miami either as long as Martin is there. Just asking for a tough early game and possible loss.

Didn't the backup QB get some good PT when the starter was hurt in the opening game? Ohio, Toledo, NoIll are MAC teams I wouldn't schedule as a P5. Miami either as long as Martin is there. Just asking for a tough early game and possible loss.
Yes. That same backup (CJ Harris) played last year beat BG, lost the MAC championship game to Toledo then beat Wyoming in the bowl game. Alas both backup QB's are 5th SR's. Ohio hung its hat on defense this year as it led the MAC. They had 7 Grad Students and 1 5th yr SR starting this year. OU is a great spot for a P5 backup to come get playing time and that's what I'd expect to see. With todays portal you never know who they'll be able to bring to "Harvard on the Hocking!"

Yes. That same backup (CJ Harris) played last year beat BG, lost the MAC championship game to Toledo then beat Wyoming in the bowl game. Alas both backup QB's are 5th SR's. Ohio hung its hat on defense this year as it led the MAC. They had 7 Grad Students and 1 5th yr SR starting this year. OU is a great spot for a P5 backup to come get playing time and that's what I'd expect to see. With todays portal you never know who they'll be able to bring to "Harvard on the Hocking!"
So next year could be a step back sounds like. That's good, i thought they were going to be returning a lot from a 9-3 team.

Interesting history with Kansas.

One of the board historians may correct me, but didn’t Gale Sayers come into Archbold in the 1960s?

And then SU returned the favor by unleashing Joe Morris in Lawrence circa 1977/78. Joe ran wild, something like 240 yards, in a big Orange win.

One of the board historians may correct me, but didn’t Gale Sayers come into Archbold in the 1960s?

And then SU returned the favor by unleashing Joe Morris in Lawrence circa 1977/78. Joe ran wild, something like 240 yards, in a big Orange win.

Date​
Opponent (record)ResultScore
10/4/1980​
Kansas (4-5-2)L
8-23​
10/6/1979​
at Kansas (3-8)W
45-27​
9/26/1970​
Kansas (5-6)L
14-31​
9/27/1969​
at Kansas (1-9)L
0-13​
9/26/1964​
Kansas (6-4)W
38-6​
9/28/1963​
at Kansas (5-5)L
0-10​
10/1/1960​
at Kansas (7-2-1)W
14-7​
9/26/1959​
Kansas (5-5)W
35-21​

Date​
10/4/1980​
Kansas (4-5-2)L
8-23​
10/6/1979​
at Kansas (3-8)W
45-27​
9/26/1970​
Kansas (5-6)L
14-31​
9/27/1969​
at Kansas (1-9)L
0-13​
9/26/1964​
Kansas (6-4)W
38-6​
9/28/1963​
at Kansas (5-5)L
0-10​
10/1/1960​
at Kansas (7-2-1)W
14-7​
9/26/1959​
Kansas (5-5)W
35-21​
Thanks. Indeed it was the 1979 game - a little later than I thought - that was a major breakthrough game for Joe. That was a very good offensive team.

From what everyone is saying looks like in Cuse. KU is 4 hours from me so a return game sometime would be great.
Good call. It looks like KU is dealing with a pretty tight stadium renovation deadline similar to what we did with the Dome, so I bet they won't mind playing some road game this season to give time to deal with that.

Not sure how I feel about this. On one hand, a seventh home game is always obviously awesome, on the other hand, we went from practically a gimme to a tough game.

Also I really wanted to see SU at West Point. Overall SU did a solid job recovering the situation though.

Not sure how I feel about this. On one hand, a seventh home game is always obviously awesome, on the other hand, we went from practically a gimme to a tough game.

Also I really wanted to see SU at West Point. Overall SU did a solid job recovering the situation though.

We'll get a road game with Army at some point.

We'll get a road game with Army at some point.

Really wish the Eastern G5s would go Indy and have a scheduling alliance. Is it really better to be in the new AAC? Or if they could petition the NCAA to allow a Football only conference so their champ can get into the CFB Playoff.

UConn (Big East)
UMass (A10)
Temple (A10)
Army (Patriot)
Navy (Patriot)
Delaware (Colonial)
James Madison (Colonial)
Maybe Marshall (?)

Date​
10/4/1980​
Kansas (4-5-2)L
8-23​
10/6/1979​
at Kansas (3-8)W
45-27​
9/26/1970​
Kansas (5-6)L
14-31​
9/27/1969​
at Kansas (1-9)L
0-13​
9/26/1964​
Kansas (6-4)W
38-6​
9/28/1963​
at Kansas (5-5)L
0-10​
10/1/1960​
at Kansas (7-2-1)W
14-7​
9/26/1959​
Kansas (5-5)W
35-21​

Settling this 4-4 tie is long overdue.

Weird that we haven't crossed paths at all in the last 43 years. But played their in state rival 3 times in bowl games.

Really wish the Eastern G5s would go Indy and have a scheduling alliance. Is it really better to be in the new AAC? Or if they could petition the NCAA to allow a Football only conference so their champ can get into the CFB Playoff.

UConn (Big East)
UMass (A10)
Temple (A10)
Army (Patriot)
Navy (Patriot)
Delaware (Colonial)
James Madison (Colonial)
Maybe Marshall (?)

Nothing about that conference screams "playoff AQ".

Might as well give CUSA and the Sun Belt an AQ also.

Maybe when the playoff expands to 24.

Nothing about that conference screams "playoff AQ".

Might as well give CUSA and the Sun Belt an AQ also.

Maybe when the playoff expands to 24.

Neither does the AAC scream AQ. That conference would have a chance, heck Liberty would have don it this year.

Think the 59;team was led by John Hadl.

Date​
10/4/1980​
Kansas (4-5-2)L
8-23​
10/6/1979​
at Kansas (3-8)W
45-27​
9/26/1970​
Kansas (5-6)L
14-31​
9/27/1969​
at Kansas (1-9)L
0-13​
9/26/1964​
Kansas (6-4)W
38-6​
9/28/1963​
at Kansas (5-5)L
0-10​
10/1/1960​
at Kansas (7-2-1)W
14-7​
9/26/1959​
Kansas (5-5)W
35-21​

The 1969 Syracuse team had an interesting year. Lost to Kansas for the Jayhawks only win, played eventual undefeated “national Champion” Penn State tough losing 15-14, finished at 5-5. Thank God social media didn’t exist back then, that kind of inconsistency today leads to epic meltdowns that are fun to gawk at, but not fun to be part of.

The money's not worth it.

Your Bobcats looked like they have some nice replacements already in place for next season. Navarro and Hunt looked great in the bowl game.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoachDiddi

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom