2024 Tewaaraton Watch List | Syracusefan.com

2024 Tewaaraton Watch List

Joey Spallina’s Tewaaraton odds are shaped by what you think of Syracuse: Do you think the Orange are back for a serious run? If so, and even with all the influx of transfers and face-off help and everything, Spallina is at the center of it all. He’s somehow the flashiest but most fundamental and unselfish player at the same time. If he carries Syracuse back to Championship Weekend, he’s an Orange legend.

1707957374760.png
1707957398443.png
1707957409598.png

Joey Spallina is ranked at number 8, fwiw (and it's worth just about nothing). CJ Kirst is the current leader in the clubhouse.

Joey Spallina is ranked at number 8, fwiw (and it's worth just about nothing). CJ Kirst is the current leader in the clubhouse.

Angelus at #7 seems like a bit of a stretch. He isn't even on the Tewaaraton list as far as I can see.

Eric Malever has been coming on a bit for the Terps, with 2g,3a against Princeton and 3g, 1a against Notre Dame.

US Lacrosse has Spallina sixth. They have O'Neil first (can't agree with that after his game against Penn) and Kirst fifth.

6. Joey Spallina, A, Syracuse (21 G, 26 A)
Spallina more than lived up to the advance billing — and being anointed as the Orange’s New 22 — while piling up 36 goals and 32 assists as a freshman. He’s already had a 10-point game and a pair of nine-point outings in Syracuse’s first seven contests.

If there’s anything to quibble about, it’s a 1-for-12 combined shooting performance in the Orange’s overtime losses to Maryland and Army. Spallina’s track record suggests he’ll figure out how to deal with extra attention from high-end opponents before long. But if a sophomore-season Tewaaraton is to be in the cards, that adjustment will have to happen in the next month or two.

Tough week for Stevens from US Lax, between this and using out of date RPI for his Bracktology. I don't think O'Neil is in the top 5, let alone the front runner. For me, at this point it's between Shellenberger, Malone and Brandau. I think Brandau should get some extra credit for guiding the offense without his two attack running mates in Lyons and Johnson. Nice to see Spallina listed at 4th. Kind of crazy he lists 12 players and they are all attackmen.

4. Joey Spallina, A, Syracuse (24 G, 38 A)
The sophomore leads Division I in assists and points, and he’s an important part of the Orange’s surge into the top five nationally. Like Shellenberger, he’s adjusted well to substantial attention, even if his scoring hasn’t remained at the same level; he’s shot 3 of 23 over the last four games (all Syracuse wins), but also averaged three assists in that span.

Spallina has already surpassed his assists total from last season (32) and is closing in on his points total from his rookie year (68). If the Orange keep winning, there’s a good chance he’ll be on the invite list for the Tewaaraton ceremony.

He would never win because of his age, but the guy 4th in ppg in the country being in the final 25 is not shocking.
I'm always happy to see a Cuse player recognized but he is not a game changer or dominant force IMO which I think the Tewaaraton is or should be all about.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom