2024 Tewaaraton | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

2024 Tewaaraton

Can't argue with it but I would have voted for Entenmann personally, as I wrote earlier in this thread.

Can't argue with it but I would have voted for Entenmann personally, as I wrote earlier in this thread.
Pat Kavanagh is fully deserving of it - he is immensely talented to go along with his emotional leadership and game-changing dominance. Entenmann doesn't come close to Kavanagh IMO. Entenmann had a great D in front of him while Kavanagh simply created magical plays and terrorized opponents in the ride. I would argue that Kavanagh was the MVP over the past 2 seasons.

Is Chris Kavanaugh the clubhouse favorite going into next year? Over Kirst? It’s an interesting debate & I’m pretty high so I’m probably forgetting an obvious name or 3.

Is Chris Kavanaugh the clubhouse favorite going into next year? Over Kirst? It’s an interesting debate & I’m pretty high so I’m probably forgetting an obvious name or 3.

I'd still say that Kirst is the frontrunner, but Kavanagh has certainly narrowed the gap. Should be pretty wide open next year, especially compared to this year when Shellenberger, Pat Kavanagh and O'Neil were pretty much guaranteed to be finalists. It's basically an attackman of the year award at this point - and Kirst is the only returning attackman from the First or Second AA lists.

I think early favorites for the award should probably include Joey Spallina (Syracuse), Sam King (Harvard), Colter Mackesy, McCabe Millon (UVA), Andrew McAdory (Duke), Jack Fracyon (PSU), Emmet Carrol (Penn) and Evan Plunkett (Army). Spallina I think should be in the next tier after Kirst and Kavanagh, but really, after that it's wide open.

Pat Kavanagh is fully deserving of it - he is immensely talented to go along with his emotional leadership and game-changing dominance. Entenmann doesn't come close to Kavanagh IMO. Entenmann had a great D in front of him while Kavanagh simply created magical plays and terrorized opponents in the ride. I would argue that Kavanagh was the MVP over the past 2 seasons.
As I said I can't argue with him winning it, but you're wildly underrating Entenmann.

As I said I can't argue with him winning it, but you're wildly underrating Entenmann.
I guess my difference is that I don't feel that I can assess how good or not Entenmann is given the strength of his defence for his career and the fact that he hasn't faced the consistent high quality of shots that goalies like Mark have faced. It's obvious that he is a good goalie but he also benefits from playing on a back to back championship team with a great culture and great coaching. It's easier to maintain a high confidence level when you play on a team that has no weaknesses. I don't want to overrate him or underrate him. I can hazard a guess that he would have had less success playing for a team like Cuse which had multiple defensive lapses and lacked the talent of ND.

I guess my difference is that I don't feel that I can assess how good or not Entenmann is given the strength of his defence for his career and the fact that he hasn't faced the consistent high quality of shots that goalies like Mark have faced. It's obvious that he is a good goalie but he also benefits from playing on a back to back championship team with a great culture and great coaching. It's easier to maintain a high confidence level when you play on a team that has no weaknesses. I don't want to overrate him or underrate him. I can hazard a guess that he would have had less success playing for a team like Cuse which had multiple defensive lapses and lacked the talent of ND.
Go look at his highlights from last year and this year (I'm not posting them here - they are available on Youtube) - but what you are saying is completely incongruous with reality. There have only been two other goalies who were finalists and he's the first since 2011.

Go look at his highlights from last year and this year (I'm not posting them here - they are available on Youtube) - but what you are saying is completely incongruous with reality. There have only been two other goalies who were finalists and he's the first since 2011.
Incongruous with reality - I like that. I could characterize your position as superficial and subject to groupthink - but I won't :cool:
I understand that my opinion isn't the flavor of the day but I stand by it. As a parent of 2 former college goalies, I perhaps have a different perspective on it. Playing on a strong winning team with great D reflects much more positively than playing on a mediocre or weaker team. I saw how perceptions changed when the same goalie experienced both and how it can affect a goalie's confidence.

I watched many of Entenmann's games over the past couple of years, am well aware of his highlights and agree that he is talented - just untested relative to many other good goalies on weaker teams.
As for the popularity contest of being a Tewaaraton Finalist, my argument holds up well - most if not all finalists are on top 3-4 teams - winning in team sports enhances the perception of individual players.

A lot of people go to Taylor Swift concerts and think she's great - that doesn't mean that she's a great musician and certainly doesn't mean she has a great voice. But I digress...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tucker

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom