246+1's Projected Top 25 2019 Defensive Players | Syracusefan.com

246+1's Projected Top 25 2019 Defensive Players

gocraz4dasu

All Conference
Well, what do ya know? Our very own Alton Robinson comes in at #17 here. Andre Cisco is in the just missing the cut section (listed as a CB, not Safety???) and no Kendall Coleman (which I think is fair).

It's almost unfathomable to believe we almost had 2 guys on a list like this, 5 or so years ago this would have seemed like an impossibility. Dino has done a great job adding talent on both sides of the ball but the defensive talent improvement has been a pleasant surprise, in my opinion, as I kind of expected him to get some talent on offense. Can't wait for 2019 already!

Projecting college football's 25 best defensive players in 2019

Just missing the cut goes to about #40. I think if we go top 50, Coleman is on it. 3 in the top 50.

Also, only Bryce Hall at UVA is ranked higher in the ACC. Could we have the best single defensive player in the ACC???

I was listening to The First Team show on ESPNU radio this morning. they are doing their early top 25. Greg McElroy(who had us 18th in his poll, his sidekick had us a bit outside it, putting us 23rd in their combined poll) was saying how high he was on our defense, and how we have some really high end guys at each level. He even mentioned the less obvious Shy(we hope) and Armstrong at LB. So, people are noticing that a Dino Babers team isn't just about offense, not by a longshot.

Well, what do ya know? Our very own Alton Robinson comes in at #17 here. Andre Cisco is in the just missing the cut section (listed as a CB, not Safety???) and no Kendall Coleman (which I think is fair).

It's almost unfathomable to believe we almost had 2 guys on a list like this, 5 or so years ago this would have seemed like an impossibility. Dino has done a great job adding talent on both sides of the ball but the defensive talent improvement has been a pleasant surprise, in my opinion, as I kind of expected him to get some talent on offense. Can't wait for 2019 already!

Projecting college football's 25 best defensive players in 2019

Lol @ 5 years ago.

Did you not read the board two years ago?

This is a HUGE turn of events lol. Brian Ward deserved a ton of crap in year 1 and year 2 - but I think we all understand he had a system, and didn't have guys to fit it just yet. Having edge rushers makes EVERYONE'S Jobs easier.

Love this!

Also, only Bryce Hall at UVA is ranked higher in the ACC. Could we have the best single defensive player in the ACC???
We don't just have the best in the ACC, we have the best DE tandem in the ACC. Not my word. Clemson's.

Lol @ 5 years ago.

Did you not read the board two years ago?

This is a HUGE turn of events lol. Brian Ward deserved a ton of crap in year 1 and year 2 - but I think we all understand he had a system, and didn't have guys to fit it just yet. Having edge rushers makes EVERYONE'S Jobs easier.

Love this!
but but but...the Tampa 2 can't work in college!

We don't just have the best in the ACC, we have the best DE tandem in the ACC. Not my word. Clemson's.
Without a doubt. Also think he said they were best tandem all season including Nd bama and whoever else they played. Big statement. They will be tops in the country bye year end. Mark my words.

Knew Paddy Fisher's dad. Awesome dude. Paddy was a beast in youth football and then in HS football as well. If you've never seen him play, his motor is non-stop.

I'm such a Cuse fan - worried that Cisco isn't a legit star.
It is possible that he was a statistical anomaly.

If that's the case, he should still be growing and improving as a player, so if the accolades outpaced his ability, he has time for the ability to catch up.

Taking Alton was a risk at the time that has paid off big time. We wouldn't be where we are w/o him.

Colt Brennan. That decision IMO set the program back significantly. Sometimes you have to do your due diligence, and take a chance.

Although having PC Queen as our chancellor pretty much killed him ever coming on campus and I bet it would have been the same for Alton too had she still been chancellor.

Colt Brennan. That decision IMO set the program back significantly. Sometimes you have to do your due diligence, and take a chance.

Although having PC Queen as our chancellor pretty much killed him ever coming on campus and I bet it would have been the same for Alton too had she still been chancellor.

Take your childish insults off this forum

Yeah can’t believe the “PC Queen” didn’t want a guy who wandered into a girl’s room and starting pleasuring himself. And I am sure Brennan would have been a great success with that awesome coaching and talent he would have had at SU. Robinson being the worst coach ever set the program back

As I have said before, Alton is a bit more dynamic than Coleman in a pass rush sense but feel Coleman is better in run defense which isn’t so sexy. They will be close to the best ends by end of year. These guys are talented and extremely well coached.

Yeah can’t believe the “PC Queen” didn’t want a guy who wandered into a girl’s room and starting pleasuring himself. And I am sure Brennan would have been a great success with that awesome coaching and talent he would have had at SU. Robinson being the worst coach ever set the program back

He passed for 14k yards and 130+ TD's in 3 years at Hawaii. Didn't get in trouble either. I'm pretty confident he would have had a positive impact here.

You do realize that Alton Robinson was accused of domestic assault before the witness decided not to cooperate? I think he's a great redemption story but is there really some major moral divide between a drunk pervert and a domestic abuser? They're both kids that made dumb mistakes at a young age, got booted, went JUCO and got a second chance. And coaching staffs should have the levity to do their due diligence and make judgement calls, especially if they don't have a track record of bringing criminals to campus.

Last edited:
He passed for 14k yards and 130+ TD's in 3 years at Hawaii. Didn't get in trouble either. I'm pretty confident he would have had a positive impact here.

You do realize that Alton Robinson was accused of domestic assault before the witness decided not to cooperate? I think he's a great redemption story but is there really some major moral divide between a drunk pervert and a domestic abuser? They're both kids that made dumb mistakes at a young age, got booted, went JUCO and got a second chance. And coaching staffs should have the levity to do their due diligence and make judgement calls, especially if they don't have a track record of bringing criminals to campus.

You make a fair point regarding Robinson. Regarding Brennan, that was at Hawaii with June Jones, he wouldn’t have come remotely close to that at SU. Either way, fine with me if you don’t like Cantor but it is hardly PC to be concerned about a perv.