27% from three so far | Syracusefan.com

27% from three so far

2-3zone

2nd String
Outside shooting was the biggest concern coming into the season in my mind and nothing from the first two games have changed my mind

27% would have gotten us into the sweat 16 last year.
Yep at least we have guys who want to shoot from behind the arc and have a decent stroke this year. Last yr it was pretty much TC, TE and MG, w many games it only being Trevor. More options this year at least. But doesnt mean anything unless they knock em down

Small sample size.

I'm not saying it's not an issue. But I'll wait a few more games before considering it to be a problem.

I think there are some reasons to think that 3 point shooting will be better. last year our second and third best shooters were cj and ennis, both who stunk. maybe Patterson, Johnson, joseph and then the off chance from Roberson makes us a little better.

BJ seems to have a shot. If he and at least one other guy can show a shot, should open up Cooney for some more decent looks. Too early to tell on any phase of outside shooting.

If Roberson, Joseph, MG, CMac can hit the ten to fifteen foot shot, that will still open up the floor for interior damage by the bigs.

We have way more willing jump shooters this year who look like they expect to make them. That in itself is a good sign. Also Chris, Kaleb and Tyler have shown range just inside the arc that they are comfortable with. I think over all we have more jump shooters than last year although we are a work in progress and some obviously prefer the 16' range to 3's.

yeah, but that's deceiving not just because of small sample size but because Patterson, G and TR are a combined 2 for 11. The two true three point threats, Cooney & BJ, are a combined 7 for 20, a respectable-enough 35%. hell, just toss out Buss alone (because he won't see much action in real games) and the team average is 32% . . . national average for teams is 32.5

I think its a matter of mechanics for these guys. Remember they are all Spot up shooters from outside except maybe BJ who can lean alittle. Recieving the ball right in their hands, and being squared up with a perfect feel to the mechanics is a big part of spot up shooters games(especially at the college level).

Ron for example has rushed alot of shots offbalence with offset mechanics, probably because he wants to play badly. He could use a calm down and only take perfect mechanical shots pep talk.

I feel like we should give BJ Johnson a shot as the starting 3. He can shoot.

Roberson looks like a Ryan Blackwell tweener type. Given that our 2G is one dimensional and our PG is not a 3 point shooter, I think we need the pure SF who can shoot the 3 in the lineup here. We don't have a dynamic perimeter scorer, and thus the tweener SF/PF at the 3 might not be the best fit.

Roberson can backup both PF and C(with McCullough sliding to C when Rak is out). Not really seeing the SF skills from him.

Gbinje stays as the backup 1/2/3, with Patterson the 8th man.

Roberson looks like a Ryan Blackwell tweener type. Given that our 2G is one dimensional and our PG is not a 3 point shooter, I think we need the pure SF who can shoot the 3 in the lineup here. We don't have a dynamic perimeter scorer, and thus the tweener SF/PF at the 3 might not be the best fit.

Roberson can backup both PF and C(with McCullough sliding to C when Rak is out). Not really seeing the SF skills from him.

We all know how JB operates...he loves the dynamic scorer off the bench (BJ). And it doesn't really matter who starts in his system...it's the number of minutes that counts (and who finishes the game).

We all know how JB operates...he loves the dynamic scorer off the bench (BJ). And it doesn't really matter who starts in his system...it's the number of minutes that counts (and who finishes the game).

As long as the "dynamic scorer" gets the chance to be just that.

I'm hoping for a Preston Shumpert sophomore year rather than a Demetris Nichols sophomore year out of Johnson.

they'll both get plenty of run, no reason to choose one over the other. BJ could end up having an impact like Kris Joseph did on the 2010 team

I also feel that Roberson and Johnson both have a place for minutes on this team.

Of note on BJ he has 14 rebounds in two games which is a surprising bonus IMO. Although he isn't a banger he seems to have a knack for swooping in and grabbing rebounds quickly especially on the defensive glass which is a good skill to have in the zone.

Other than that he is doing exactly what you want a bench scorer to do, shoot and score at a high rate:

Per 40min numbers for Johnson: (rounded to nearest tenth)(52min 27p, 14r, 4a)
Rebounds: 10.8
Assists: 3.1
Shooting percentages:
Field Goal: 50%
3 Pointers: 36%
Free Throw: 100%

Although he isn't a banger he seems to have a knack for swooping in and grabbing rebounds quickly especially on the defensive glass which is a good skill to have in the zone.
good pick up, jordoo. Roberson is no slouch there, either. Cooney & Joseph have given good help on the defensive glass in the first two games, too. If the four of them can continue that work, it will be huge. SU is never going to be great on the defensive boards, it's a fact of life with the zone, but if the perimeter guys can pick up enough to make the Orange just average on the d glass, that will both make the defense better & also create more transition opportunities on the other end.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SYRtoBOS

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom