Alrighty sports fans, who's going to be the other starting guard | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

Alrighty sports fans, who's going to be the other starting guard

Who starts alongside JJ at guard?

• Total voters
It seems that the biggest part of being a good defender is having the mindset that you're going to play it hard.
Can that be taught?
Maybe...if "taught" includes the idea of learning what you have to do from experience.

Would love to see the Orange become a great defensive team again...like say 2009-10.
Tough D wins games.

It should be Carlos. I want JJ to focus on scoring - he will have the ball in his hands plenty and run the point at times, but ultimately having a pure PG out there with Bell and JJ will give us the most offensive success.

Not having a true PG hurt us last year - and Red finally has one.

I’m happy to hear that Taylor looks like the best defender in practice because Carlos was on the all defensive team 2 years in a row in the CAA.

I’m not in practice so I trust Red to make the right decision - if he goes with Taylor I’ll definitely give him the benefit of the doubt.

I like Moore IDK why he isn't a selection hes a high enough ranked recruit.

It’ll be Carlos. I think the third guard will be situational. Choppa if we need shooting, Taylor if we need defense and Cuffe will get his opportunities.

That Georgia state game showed Taylor’s ability to switch properly. He was playing defense against bigger guys - that won’t be the case here. Not surprised the staff likes his defense.

I will echo what Dasher said about Chance. A true wild card…and I think his minutes will be more at the 3, than the backcourt…but he’s going to have to earn his minutes.

We have depth and options in the back court.

I do not think JJ is a completely lost cause on defense, but you cannot blame his faults on D last year on Mintz.

I watched every minute of every game last year, and I just don't get the absolute hate for JJ's defense on here. So many others were so obviously worse last year, it's not even debatable.

It should be Carlos. I want JJ to focus on scoring - he will have the ball in his hands plenty and run the point at times, but ultimately having a pure PG out there with Bell and JJ will give us the most offensive success.

Not having a true PG hurt us last year - and Red finally has one.

I’m happy to hear that Taylor looks like the best defender in practice because Carlos was on the all defensive team 2 years in a row in the CAA.

I’m not in practice so I trust Red to make the right decision - if he goes with Taylor I’ll definitely give him the benefit of the doubt.

I think he's going to start more of a shooter, let JJ get some run as the game-opening PG, and then Carlos will likely be the first guard off the bench. That's how I see it, anyway.

I think Moore will get more time as he settles in. He has good size and a very nice shot.

Cuffe is going to have a hard time with all these guys, but I really like Cuffe running the break. He made better decisions than Judah by a mile.

I think he's going to start more of a shooter, let JJ get some run as the game-opening PG, and then Carlos will likely be the first guard off the bench. That's how I see it, anyway.

I think Moore will get more time as he settles in. He has good size and a very nice shot.

Cuffe is going to have a hard time with all these guys, but I really like Cuffe running the break. He made better decisions than Judah by a mile.
Moore has a skill we don't have a lot of. If that skill translates to this level, I think he will see more time than some think. As the game has evolved, shooting, and 3pt shooting in particular, has become much more of a critical factor to team success. Maybe some of the players with more experience will fill that shooting need. If not, Moore has the potential to fill that role situationally.

Moore has a skill we don't have a lot of. If that skill translates to this level, I think he will see more time than some think. As the game has evolved, shooting, and 3pt shooting in particular, has become much more of a critical factor to team success. Maybe some of the players with more experience will fill that shooting need. If not, Moore has the potential to fill that role situationally.
We won't be desperate for shooting this season.

In addition to Bell and his elite shooting, we will have Starling, Taylor, Carlos, Freeman, Davis and Cuffe in our rotation that all are capable of hitting a three at an acceptable rate. We will never have a lineup with less than 3 three point shooters, and will have an elite shooter out there most of the game.

At this point, only McLeod and Lampkin are guys you absolutely don't want shooting an open three (and apparently it's a debate for Lampkin.)

Majstorovic and Westry are mysteries at this point, but probably only get the green light if left completely alone.

If Moore isn't doing more on offense and defense than shooting threes, he doesn't need to be out there. He might surprise us, though, and surpass some of the more experienced guards. Especially as the season progresses.

We won't be desperate for shooting this season.

In addition to Bell and his elite shooting, we will have Starling, Taylor, Carlos, Freeman, Davis and Cuffe in our rotation that all are capable of hitting a three at an acceptable rate. We will never have a lineup with less than 3 three point shooters, and will have an elite shooter out there most of the game.

At this point, only McLeod and Lampkin are guys you absolutely don't want shooting an open three (and apparently it's a debate for Lampkin.)

Majstorovic and Westry are mysteries at this point, but probably only get the green light if left completely alone.

If Moore isn't doing more on offense and defense than shooting threes, he doesn't need to be out there. He might surprise us, though, and surpass some of the more experienced guards. Especially as the season progresses.
I for one look forward to Lampkin hucking it up once in a while.

I watched every minute of every game last year, and I just don't get the absolute hate for JJ's defense on here. So many others were so obviously worse last year, it's not even debatable.
Probably better than Bell's.

Probably better than Bell's.
And Judah, and MacLeod, who had a lot of difficulty moving around, and Benny, who was never where he was supposed to be.

So, by that count, JJ was only the 5th worst defender on last year's team. And at least I saw effort from him, not so much complaining to the refs about calls while the other team ran a fast break against us.

Copeland could be very good, but also made some really stupid plays at times. I would say they were a toss up - Copeland and JJ.

And Judah, and MacLeod, who had a lot of difficulty moving around, and Benny, who was never where he was supposed to be.

So, by that count, JJ was only the 5th worst defender on last year's team. And at least I saw effort from him, not so much complaining to the refs about calls while the other team ran a fast break against us.

Copeland could be very good, but also made some really stupid plays at times. I would say they were a toss up - Copeland and JJ.
Chasing your guy doesn’t equate to efficient effort.

I get ripped for criticizing him, but just about every analytic site had JJ as one of the worst 5 defenders in the ACC last year. Bell was better than him. It’s not a coincidence that opposing guards routinely torched us last year. I agree others were bad, but he was the worst of the bad.

I get ripped for criticizing him, but just about every analytic site had JJ as one of the worst 5 defenders in the ACC last year. Bell was better than him. It’s not a coincidence that opposing guards routinely torched us last year. I agree others were bad, but he was the worst of the bad.
Matt’s very scientific eye test says otherwise.