27 Months Waived? 'Cuse and Pitt Free To Go? | Syracusefan.com

27 Months Waived? 'Cuse and Pitt Free To Go?

hobbit88

Walk On
I don't see this posted on any other thread, it was just put up on the InsideCarolina board a couple of hours ago.

I've put question marks in the thread title as I know nothing about the blog that's reported this; but if this report is true, then Big East leadership just voted to waive the 27-months rule. Thus Pitt and
Syracuse are free to join the ACC.

Link: http://www.leatherhelmetblog.com/2011-articles/october/source-eers-are-in.html

Would be good for all parties involved, IMO. Coaches can tell recruits that they'll play their entire careers in one conference, eliminate the lame-duck status, let the BE move on and invite other schools (UCF SMU Army Navy Temple etc to join immediately)

very interesting developments, if true. Louisville's and Cincinnati's phones would be non-stop to B12 offices.

It was already posted on the football board.

Andy Katz has something similar this morning. In his article he mentions that the league would waive the 27 month waiting period for WVU, however he didn't say anything about the effect on SU and Pitt.

I don't see this posted on any other thread, it was just put up on the InsideCarolina board a couple of hours ago.

I've put question marks in the thread title as I know nothing about the blog that's reported this; but if this report is true, then Big East leadership just voted to waive the 27-months rule. Thus Pitt and
Syracuse are free to join the ACC.

Link: http://www.leatherhelmetblog.com/2011-articles/october/source-eers-are-in.html
If that's what happened at the meeting yesterday (waiving of 27-month rule, no increase in exit fee), the fractures in the BE are huge, and it may not last past this season.

whoa...if true congrats to a brothers and sisters at WVU...and a tear once more for Uconn and Rutgirls...if this is true...does anybody still think we should have stayed in the BE?

The will wave the 27 month thing for SU and Pitt one way or another because its just stupid to have them in the BE another season. It doesn't help the BE in their effert to move on.

WVU? Where have I been? where are they going? I know there was a BE meeting this weekend with rumors re: Temple, Navy, Army,and the Air Force. I also heard a rumor re: Louisville to B12 ... But everything was just conjecture. I don't doubt that they discussed the 27-month waiver. I also heard that they are kicking up the price to get out of the BE ... so we may see a lot of moves before that is enforced. It wouldn't benefit anyone to force the 27-month hold and if the foootball teamis allowed to go as per above than the basketball team has to be allowed to go as well.

Word is the SEC if they can get Missouri also. So A&m, Mizzou, and WVU

If that happens, the SEC will stick at 15 teams? Is that doable? I suppose it it but isnt 16 better with two divisions?

No they will move to 16. That team is undecided yet. They wanted Tech but Beamer was completely against it and VT has ties to UVA so it won't happen. the 16th team isnt determined yet. I'd imagine they'd love to get FSU but the 20 million dollar buyout is quite the hurdle

No they will move to 16. That team is undecided yet. They wanted Tech but Beamer was completely against it and VT has ties to UVA so it won't happen. the 16th team isnt determined yet. I'd imagine they'd love to get FSU but the 20 million dollar buyout is quite the hurdle
You would think VT would realize they can compete for a BCS bowl every season in the ACC while in the SEC they'd be the 8th best team

I thought that the SEC has already said "No" to WVU. And I have read where the SEC says it is happy at 15 (Of coursethey would probably be happier at 16.)

I thought that the SEC has already said "No" to WVU. And I have read where the SEC says it is happy at 15 (Of coursethey would probably be happier at 16.)

they are at 13 right now

Just curious, this isn't the first time I've read about supposed "ties" that bind VT to UVA. What is the nature of these ties? Virginia Tech is a recent entry to the ACC whereas UVA has been a member as long as I can remember (back to the early/mid 70s).

Just curious, this isn't the first time I've read about supposed "ties" that bind VT to UVA. What is the nature of these ties? Virginia Tech is a recent entry to the ACC whereas UVA has been a member as long as I can remember (back to the early/mid 70s).
My understanding is ACC wanted somebody else last time but UVA and state of VA politics argued for it to be VA Tech instead as the 3rd with Miami and BC.

So that probably holds true on VA Tech exodus from ACC too.

Not all states view this the same way, As with Virginia, Oklahoma and Okie St seemed to be tied as do KU and K-state. In SEC however, Florida does not want FSU, Miami or USF, Georgia does not want GA Tech, South Carolina does not want Clemson, UK does not want UL, etc. Not sure how A&M feels about another team from Texas as long as it is not in Austin.

With respect to the potential waiver of 27 month rule, maybe they figured out that Cuse and Pitt, though you can not invite them to a private meeting at Georgetown, would still have a vote if they were members the next 27 month. So at present, with 8 Bball only schools already outnumbering remaining 7 including TCU, six until they officially arrive next year, could be a problem.

The BE may also not want Cuse and Pitt privy to their future plans.

I "heard" (rumor,rumor, rumor) that in 2003 when SU submitted app to ACC the Gov of Virginia told UVA that he felt strongly about VT coming to ACC ... so that both Virginia teams could be in ACC

I "heard" (rumor,rumor, rumor) that in 2003 when SU submitted app to ACC the Gov of Virginia told UVA that he felt strongly about VT coming to ACC ... so that both Virginia teams could be in ACC

NOT ONLY DID HE FEEL STRONGLY -- He threatened UVA with a suspension of state funding if VaTech wasn't included. Va was the fith vote in a nine team league looking at expansion.

Basically they got it. The Virginia government got involved and once they did it was pretty much a wrap. Syracuse was actually the team I think they were leaning towards adding until the government stepped in. Im pretty sure UVA was iffy on it but once they were threaten with what Rossco said, they caved about as quickly as possible. It has worked out for Tech and the ACC so I guess it makes sense.

Oliver Luck at WVU has pretty much sold the SEC on WVU and that they could compete with that Pittsburgh market against PITT and that brings another whole dimension to where those SEC teams can recruit. They already pach some of the big boys from the northeast but it will help them out with Pennsylvania, Ohio, and Maryland. (West VA doesn't have too much talent in terms of football minus a few prospects here and there) If the SEC does successfully poach WVU, the Big East is pretty much done and then I can see some more dominos fall because Notre Dame is going to want to do something with those other teams of theirs. It kinda plays into the ACC's hand.

As much as Oliver Luck is a dbag, I will be very impressed if he gets WVU in the SEC because that was no easy task. I do know that some LSU fans that went to the WVU game had signs saying "We Welcome You To The SEC" but thats just fans so take it with a grain of salt

Thanks for all the input in answer to my question about the "ties" between UVA and Va Tech.

Pressure from the governor's office is not to be ignored, especially if he has the Power of the Purse. Something sounds kind of, well, questionable if not downright illegal, that a governor could force his will on a major athletic conference that way, through putting a pistol to the head of a public university's leadership.

Makes you wonder what might have happened if John Swofford had said, "that's okay guys, we don't want Virginia Tech OR Virginia: we'll go with 'Cuse, Pitt and UConn. Don't let the door hit you on the backside".

LOL. I think Swofford's a little too cool to get that hot-blooded/fired-up about it, but if I had been in his place that would have really gotten me steamed ...

WV like Uconn have no pro teams they only have college ball to live for.. Of course you can say the same of Vermont Maine and Rhode Island.

My understanding is ACC wanted somebody else last time but UVA and state of VA politics argued for it to be VA Tech instead as the 3rd with Miami and BC.

Yeah, it was SU

SU was all set to go and then VA politics got involved and there weren't enough votes. SU was also considered in 1990 when the ACC took FSU

WV like Uconn have no pro teams they only have college ball to live for.. Of course you can say the same of Vermont Maine and Rhode Island.
Rhode Island has pro teams, they just all happen to play in Boston (or Foxborough).