29-30 and counting... | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

29-30 and counting...

Serious question, what has our overall record been since the loss against BC in those hideous jerseys?

Since that game, 75-53 overall. That includes postseason play.

Thats pretty darn good considering we've been on probation the whole time such a big scholarship reduction.

Serious question, what has our overall record been since the loss against BC in those hideous jerseys?

I won't include our overall record since many of those have come against those December "cupcakes." However, here is our ACC record...

SU's ACC record since joining the league for the 2013-2014 is currently 43-33, with zero ACC tournament wins. Now, you can take that record on its face or from the time the league shortly thereafter figured out how to play the Orange. As we all recall, we started that inaugural season with a 12-0 conference record, 25-0 overall, along with that Johnny Manziel mantra how we were "going to wreck this league." Afterwards, we went on to lose 6 of our last 9 games. Since that aforementioned 25-0; 12-0 ACC start, our present ACC record is 31-37! Oh yeah, and again, we have still yet to win a single ACC tournament game.

I won't include our overall record since many of those have come against those December "cupcakes." However, here is our ACC record...

SU's ACC record since joining the league for the 2013-2014 is currently 43-33, with zero ACC tournament wins. Now, you can take that record on its face or from the time the league shortly thereafter figured out how to play the Orange. As we all recall, we started that inaugural season with a 12-0 conference record, 25-0 overall, along with that Johnny Manziel mantra how we were "going to wreck this league." Afterwards, we went on to lose 6 of our last 9 games. Since that aforementioned 25-0; 12-0 ACC start, our present ACC record is 31-37! Oh yeah, and again, we have still yet to win a single ACC tournament game.

Conference tournaments are overrated. We didn’t fair well in the 2010 or 2012 BE tournaments with two of our best teams ever. And every time we won the BET, we didn’t see the second weekend of the NCAA’s.

At least football beat a top-tier team and was competitive with the best until their most significant player was hurt.

This team is marginally competitive with the best teams in the league, without major injuries to their top players.

Advantage: Football.
lol seriously? We were in the final four just two years ago. We beat three top teams last year. Football is waaaaay behind basketball. Maybe you missed our last three football games.

Conference tournaments are overrated. We didn’t fair well in the 2010 or 2012 BE tournaments with two of our best teams ever. And every time we won the BET, we didn’t see the second weekend of the NCAA’s.

I don't necessarily disagree that conference tournaments are overrated, although certainly that's one's opinion. Yes, we didn't fair well as you allude in those two years relative to the BET, however, it was two of our best teams ever or certainly up there. Therefore, we knew we had bigger fish to fry in the upcoming 'Dance,' and knowing we had an excellent team, makes all the difference. Currently, if we don't win the ACC tournament, we likely will miss the dance...yet again.

Therefore, moreover, not winning one single ACC tournament game to this point, just magnifies our current reality with fans, media, etc. This is our 5th year in the ACC. I would've lost my entire 401K if someone said to me that 5 years in, SU would have zero ACC tournament wins. I think a lot would be in that same boat.

lol seriously? We were in the final four just two years ago. We beat three top teams last year. Football is waaaaay behind basketball. Maybe you missed our last three football games.

A fact. However, this reminds me of that sales rep who got a multi-million dollar gift referral from the heavens...but, otherwise, in last 3 out of 4 years hasn't sold a frigging thing. :)

I don't necessarily disagree that conference tournaments are overrated, although certainly that's one's opinion. Yes, we didn't fair well as you allude in those two years relative to the BET, however, it was two of our best teams ever or certainly up there. Therefore, we knew we had bigger fish to fry in the upcoming 'Dance,' and knowing we had an excellent team, makes all the difference. Currently, if we don't win the ACC tournament, we likely will miss the dance...yet again.

Therefore, moreover, not winning one single ACC tournament game to this point, just magnifies our current reality with fans, media, etc. This is our 5th year in the ACC. I would've lost my entire 401K if someone said to me that 5 years in, SU would have zero ACC tournament wins. I think a lot would be in that same boat.

We’re 0-3. Couldn’t play in it one year. Played against teams that were basically equal to us two of the years and lost close, tough games.

Only real slip up was that first year.

We’re 0-3. Couldn’t play in it one year. Played against teams that were basically equal to us two of the years and lost close, tough games.

Only real slip up was that first year.

The reality is, we were a borderline tournament team the year we couldn't play, and just as likely that we would've bowled a gutter ball in that particular ACC tourney as well. Who knows. But, I'd be curious to see who we would've been playing had we not banned ourselves?

The reality is, we were a borderline tournament team the year we couldn't play, and just as likely that we would've bowled a gutter ball in that particular ACC tourney as well. Who knows. But, I'd be curious to see who we would've been playing had we not banned ourselves?

Not sure, but based on our record it probably would’ve been someone with a similar record to us. I remember people getting restless about our BET performance when we had last won it in ‘92 and last been in the finals in ‘93(I think). Then all of a sudden we won it in back to back years in ‘05-‘06 after we had mostly done nothing in it for years(often with good teams).

A fact. However, this reminds me of that sales rep who got a multi-million dollar gift referral from the heavens...but, otherwise, in last 3 out of 4 years hasn't sold a frigging thing. :)
Guys on the outside always say that the guy got a gift referral from the heavens, that is called jealousy. The guy must have done a great job with the client to get a referral like that. Just like going to a final four.

Guys on the outside always say that the guy got a gift referral from the heavens, that is called jealousy. The guy must have done a great job with the client to get a referral like that. Just like going to a final four.

Interesting response. It was really all in good jest, hence the 'heavens' reference, but whatever. For what it's worth, I've never been in sales, so I don't know what it's like to be "on the outside," maybe you do and know first hand of this jealousy you allege? I don't know. And, by the way, the guy that did a great job with the client to get a referral like that...was his mistresses mother, so he did a bang up job. ;):)

Hate to bring data into this discussion, but since we joined the ACC (four full seasons) we are fifth in conference wins - would have been fourth if we had beaten Notre Dame. And we've done that battling NCAA sanctions and uncertainty over our head coach's retirement for much of that time. Not quite as dire as it seems.

Virginia 56
NC 52
Duke 50
Notre Dame 43
Syr 42
Miami 40
FSU 37
Clemson 34
Pitt 32
NC State 28
G Tech 25
Va Tech 24
Wake 22
BC 10

I figured we would become a perennial 3rd - 5th place team in the ACC. It's been much worse than that. I get that the sanctions have contributed to our fall ... but still it's tremendously disappointing. I doubt the basketball program will ever consistently achieve the level of success in did in the Big East and the ACC impact on our recruiting and visibility is a big part of that.

Hate to bring data into this discussion, but since we joined the ACC (four full seasons) we are fifth in conference wins - would have been fourth if we had beaten Notre Dame. And we've done that battling NCAA sanctions and uncertainty over our head coach's retirement for much of that time. Not quite as dire as it seems.

Virginia 56
NC 52
Duke 50
Notre Dame 43
Syr 42
Miami 40
FSU 37
Clemson 34
Pitt 32
NC State 28
G Tech 25
Va Tech 24
Wake 22
BC 10

I intentionally took out the 2013-14’ season out of play because IMO our slide started the next season. But sure, include it to make your point.

Thats pretty darn good considering we've been on probation the whole time such a big scholarship reduction.
And the kicker is UNC had violations 100x worse then ours and goes off thumbing there nose at us.

I intentionally took out the 2013-14’ season out of play because IMO our slide started the next season. But sure, include it to make your point.

Or exclude it to make yours. Thought the full four year period was more statistically significant but let's just say we are the worst performing ACC basketball program since the start of 2018.

Virginia 56
NC 52
Duke 50
Notre Dame 43
Syr 42
Miami 40
FSU 37
Clemson 34
Pitt 32
NC State 28
G Tech 25
Va Tech 24
Wake 22
BC 10

That's OK, and a fair way to look at it. But those rankings show some clear divisions in the league: the top teams (UVa/Duke/UNC), the muddled middle (SU, Notre Dame, UM, FSY, Clemson, Pitt), the mediocre teams (NCSU, the Techs, and Wake), and the dog-poop team (BC).

I'm glad we're near the top of the middle, but all of us are accustomed to Syracuse being the best program in our league. This transition will take some getting used to.

That's OK, and a fair way to look at it. But those rankings show some clear divisions in the league: the top teams (UVa/Duke/UNC), the muddled middle (SU, Notre Dame, UM, FSY, Clemson, Pitt), the mediocre teams (NCSU, the Techs, and Wake), and the dog-poop team (BC).

I'm glad we're near the top of the middle, but all of us are accustomed to Syracuse being the best program in our league. This transition will take some getting used to.

Agree with that assessment completely. It's a different world now and the teams we are trailing are two of the four or five most successful teams in college basketball history and a program that is enjoying the strongest run in its history. No shame in that and if we can say we are at the "top of the middle" in what has been a bit of a down period given our history I'm not uncomfortable. Particularly considering that the sanctions are largely behind us, our head coaching situation has stabilized at least for the near future and the recruiting outlook has markedly improved. I still think there is work to do to move into that upper crust but I see more reasons for hope than despair.

Agree with that assessment completely. It's a different world now and the teams we are trailing are two of the four or five most successful teams in college basketball history and a program that is enjoying the strongest run in its history. No shame in that and if we can say we are at the "top of the middle" in what has been a bit of a down period given our history I'm not uncomfortable. Particularly considering that the sanctions are largely behind us, our head coaching situation has stabilized at least for the near future and the recruiting outlook has markedly improved. I still think there is work to do to move into that upper crust but I see more reasons for hope than despair.

I think going forward we should be able to get in the “bottom of the top” group.

At least football beat a top-tier team and was competitive with the best until their most significant player was hurt.

This team is marginally competitive with the best teams in the league, without major injuries to their top players.

Advantage: Football.
the team is 50-73 the past 10 seasons. 11-30 in the acc . that makes you happy ? that's loser talk.

Last edited: