2nd and 2 from our 38 yd line | Syracusefan.com

2nd and 2 from our 38 yd line

CusefanATL

2018 Iggy Post Season Record NCAA Winner
I believe it was the 1st drive of the 2nd Q. right after a missed kick. and it was a short 2.

we run bailey up the gut for yardish. 3rd and very short 1 from our 39.

we run a wheel route to Bailey. A wheel route! those are meant for huge gains and you run those with Reggie Bush. It is not the easiest catch for a rb, but it gets him either wide open or 1 on 1 with a LB.

4th and 1/2 yard. no thought, punt.

why in the world did we run a wheel route to the tailback, if we werent even going to think about going for it on 4th and 1/2 yard?

i apologize... just saw another thread of this.

but im going to keep this here to prove how bad of a playcall it was.

i apologize... just saw another thread of this.

but im going to keep this here to prove how bad of a playcall it was.

I was one of Hackett's brain farts. Not the only one by far.

The play was also to the short side of the field! Even if he did catch it, he had little room to manuever. Although it was a strange call, I place this turnover on Nassib. Because Bailey was hemmed in by the sideline I dont think Nassib had the space to get enough loft on the ball so Bailey could catch it inbounds. A bad play call compounded by poor execution.

A bad play call compounded by poor execution.

That seemed to be the theme of the day yesterday. You have to put the players in a position to succeed.

they called the play based on what they thought was coming and where there were on the field and got exactly the coverage they wanted.. tough throw, but there was room and he probably gains 20-30 yds.. I also thought that play meant going for it on 4th down was coming

they called the play based on what they thought was coming and where there were on the field and got exactly the coverage they wanted.. tough throw, but there was room and he probably gains 20-30 yds.. I also thought that play meant going for it on 4th down was coming

The staff knew that if they got defensive pressure from the outside, Bailey would get out of the backfield uncovered. Had he made the catch, the play could have gone all the way. However, it's still 4th down on your own 37 early in the 2nd quarter. IMO not the spot to go for it on 4th.

It certainly wasn't boring and predictable.

and i think its highlights what the staff sees as issues. simple running plays still dont work.. we end up with toss sweeps to gain rushing yds.. we cant run off tackle without some mis direction or draws..

so we end up passing on running downs. so many drives are ending because we cant run in short yardage or we make a self inflicted mistake, drop a ball, take a penalty that the play calling is getting skewed.

we stopped 5 drives our selves with TOs we missed 2 kicks and we have at least 3 drives end because of penalties. if we score the 30+ pts we were in position to score just by taking away the last fumble and the 1 RZ INT and make the kicks most of this discussion goes away.

is anyone really even talking about the slant play if its not deflected? we are talking about finally using our big rcvrs in good spots around the endzone not the bad call.. that play is a TD 60% of the time and a INT 5%.

Chewie also had trouble getting seperation from the corners. They can't keep running "go" routes all day long hoping that eventually Chew will come down with a jump ball. The staff looked for creative ways to get our playmakers the ball.

Sometimes it doesn't work out.

You two should find a room together and talk about how good this staff is.

A wheel route on 3rd and 1? There's "not boring and predictable", and then there's "why don't you run THAT play on 2nd and 1, then run the ball on 3rd and 1?".

Makes a heckuva lot more sense to me to run it on 2nd and 1. Then again, you guys are the "experts" so I'll leave it to you.

You two should find a room together and talk about how good this staff is.

A wheel route on 3rd and 1? There's "not boring and predictable", and then there's "why don't you run THAT play on 2nd and 1, then run the ball on 3rd and 1?".

Makes a heckuva lot more sense to me to run it on 2nd and 1. Then again, you guys are the "experts" so I'll leave it to you.

The play only works if Rutgers is in the right defense.

The staff spends hours watching game films studying defensive tendencies so they know what defense to expect in certain situations, and they work on certain plays to exploit an advantage.

Like you said, it doesn't make any sense to you.

The staff spends hours watching game films studying defensive tendencies so they know what defense to expect in certain situations, and they work on certain plays to exploit an advantage.

jake and i were screaming when they ran that play. not so much that they decided to pass on 3rd and 1 or even that they went to bailey. i would have preferred a swing pass to bailey where bailey catches the ball just behind the los. the wheel route or whatever necessitated the pass to go over, around and between several ol, dl and lb to a guy that stands 5'6 with cleats on. to me it made zero sense.

Well then I think they have deficiencies in what they see and how they choose to exploit things. This offense clearly is not working against D1 teams, and more specifically BIG EAST teams. This includes last season, when we had a RB that is currently seeing a ton of time in the NFL.

Let's face it -- this team has limitations, regardless of playcalling. I happen to think it has a lot to do with #12 and his limitations, others have chosen to pinpoint our WR's. Whatever. I can see it both ways.

But a number of the calls on Saturday were questionable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DizzyNY

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom