3-0 and what remains | Syracusefan.com

3-0 and what remains

swish7

All Conference
Being permanently scarred by last year's start (6-0) and slide (1-6), and being generally a realist, I wanted to look at what's ahead now that we got two patsies out of the way and that one good great win.

When entering the title, this year old post from SWC popped up. Its relevant, so sharing here: 3-0

What's Next
  1. Army - 2-1 with a bloated scoring margin due to one 57-0 blowout. All patsies. Easy W.
  2. Clemson - 2-1, blown out at Duke, and wins against 2 patsies. Always a tough game, and they will be coming off a drubbing by FSU. It would be a shocking slide, if they were 2-3 after playing us. Having a hard time calling this a W, and am predicting an L, but would be great to send them to 2-3. Unless we see someone emerge on the receiving corps, this has to be an L.
  3. @ UNC - 3-0, all against solid teams. They shouldn't take us lightly, given we will either be 4-1 or 5-0, so unfortunately, this is an L.
  4. @ FSU - 3-0, including an absolute shellacking of the #5 team in the country. They beat us by 35 last year. Likely happens again. L.
  5. @ VT - 1-2, including getting handled at Rutgers and losing to Purdue by a TD. Closer than we would like W.
  6. BC - 1-2, with most notably a 2 point loss to the #4 team in the country. Always a challenge to play a rival like BC. Unfortunately, we let this one slip away from us. Close L.
  7. Pitt - 1-2, with the win against a patsy, and the losses, both real close, to WVU and Cincy. Close W.
  8. @ GT - 1-2, with a good win against Louisville, but a doubled-up by Ole Miss. Close W.
  9. Wake - 3-0 with the best win against Vandy I guess. They always play us tight, but I predict Shredder will want to light it up on senior night. They will be coming off a drubbing at ND and playing us at home. Huge W.
8-4 would be decent, given some of the predictions at the start of the season, and all the injuries (so far).

As always, this could be better or worse. With more injuries, it gets a lot worse. With someone new emerging and Shredder staying healthy, it could be 8-4 or maybe a little better.

Being permanently scarred by last year's start (6-0) and slide (1-6), and being generally a realist, I wanted to look at what's ahead now that we got two patsies out of the way and that one good great win.

When entering the title, this year old post from SWC popped up. Its relevant, so sharing here: 3-0

What's Next
  1. Army - 2-1 with a bloated scoring margin due to one 57-0 blowout. All patsies. Easy W.
  2. Clemson - 2-1, blown out at Duke, and wins against 2 patsies. Always a tough game, and they will be coming off a drubbing by FSU. It would be a shocking slide, if they were 2-3 after playing us. Having a hard time calling this a W, and am predicting an L, but would be great to send them to 2-3. Unless we see someone emerge on the receiving corps, this has to be an L.
  3. @ UNC - 3-0, all against solid teams. They shouldn't take us lightly, given we will either be 4-1 or 5-0, so unfortunately, this is an L.
  4. @ FSU - 3-0, including an absolute shellacking of the #5 team in the country. They beat us by 35 last year. Likely happens again. L.
  5. @ VT - 1-2, including getting handled at Rutgers and losing to Purdue by a TD. Closer than we would like W.
  6. BC - 1-2, with most notably a 2 point loss to the #4 team in the country. Always a challenge to play a rival like BC. Unfortunately, we let this one slip away from us. Close L.
  7. Pitt - 1-2, with the win against a patsy, and the losses, both real close, to WVU and Cincy. Close W.
  8. @ GT - 1-2, with a good win against Louisville, but a doubled-up by Ole Miss. Close W.
  9. Wake - 3-0 with the best win against Vandy I guess. They always play us tight, but I predict Shredder will want to light it up on senior night. They will be coming off a drubbing at ND and playing us at home. Huge W.
8-4 would be decent, given some of the predictions at the start of the season, and all the injuries (so far).

As always, this could be better or worse. With more injuries, it gets a lot worse. With someone new emerging and Shredder staying healthy, it could be 8-4 or maybe a little better.
We're not losing to BC. Their game against Free Shoes U said a lot more about FSU than it did about BC. Keep their running QB under control and it's an easy win.

yeah I don't disagree with 8-4 but I just don't see the loss to BC

This is where I am, too. This past week was BC's super bowl and FSU looked like walking zombies.

I think 8 wins is probably right assuming no more major injuries, but I think BC is in the win column. Personally, it wouldn't surprise me if we nip Clemson or UNC and then trip up against a VT/Pitt/GT later in the year.

This is where I am, too. This past week was BC's super bowl and FSU looked like walking zombies.

I think 8 wins is probably right assuming no more major injuries, but I think BC is in the win column. Personally, it wouldn't surprise me if we nip Clemson or UNC and then trip up against a VT/Pitt/GT later in the year.

We always find a way to lose to Pitt. But Pitt and VT are garbage this year. GT could improve though.

You don't think BC is a rival?
Not at all. What makes them a rival? They are within 5 hours? We just happen to play tight against them because we tend to be middling teams? I would put Pitt above them.

Why do you think they are a rival?

BC looked great against FSU, but is was their red bandanna game, and it’s entirely possible FSU was in there sleep walking at the noon start on the road. The NIU loss and Holy Cross scare are what stand out more so to me. I think we handle them at home.

The UTSA team Army beat is actually a pretty good squad. I was surprised they handled them like they did.

Last thing we want is Clemson off of a drubbing. I think Clemson wins vs FSU though.

Also GT didnt beat Louisville, FWIW.

Agree - I think we name the score vs BC but that Thursday night game @ VT worries me.

The UTSA team Army beat is actually a pretty good squad. I was surprised they handled them like they did.

Last thing we want is Clemson off of a drubbing. I think Clemson wins vs FSU though.

Also GT didnt beat Louisville, FWIW.
UTSAs starting QB was out. Their backup played well though, don’t remember how many yards but had 3 scores.

Not at all. What makes them a rival? They are within 5 hours? We just happen to play tight against them because we tend to be middling teams? I would put Pitt above them.

Why do you think they are a rival?

And we're Pitt's 3rd biggest rival. Maybe?

You know how I know BC is a rival? Because I enjoy when they lose to bad teams. Looking bad for the conference goes out the window for BC and I can laugh when they lose to NIU or UConn. That's a rival.

Though we don't really have a football rival. It's too bad we don't share a conference with Rutgers anymore, because that was turning into the fun kind of hate.

You know how I know BC is a rival? Because I enjoy when they lose to bad teams. Looking bad for the conference goes out the window for BC and I can laugh when they lose to NIU or UConn. That's a rival.

Though we don't really have a football rival. It's too bad we don't share a conference with Rutgers anymore, because that was turning into the fun kind of hate.
If you say so. I’ve never once found myself caring about BC outside of game week. Maybe we’re just different.

Have a good feeling about the Clemson game assuming the Mob and friends take care of the Cadets this weekend.

It seems to me that the Orange have developed the “it” factor while Clemson may be working on the “what” factor (as in what’s going on here).

IMO, Injuries, or the lack of them, will determine if this turns out to be a good or a great season. The team we saw at Purdue can beat anyone on their schedule in any venue. Feels good to say that.

We're rival-less. We have long time skirmishes and i'd put BC and Pitt in that category. I think some games have risen to "rival" and they are gone from our schedule: Rutgers, VA-Tech, WVU, Penn St, and for about 5 years Miami (at least for us).

BC is definitely considered a rival nationally due to our proximity, history, and similar makeup as private universities playing northeast football.

It sux WVU isn't a permanent OOC game.

Have a good feeling about the Clemson game assuming the Mob and friends take care of the Cadets this weekend.

It seems to me that the Orange have developed the “it” factor while Clemson may be working on the “what” factor (as in what’s going on here).

IMO, Injuries, or the lack of them, will determine if this turns out to be a good or a great season. The team we saw at Purdue can beat anyone on their schedule in any venue. Feels good to say that.

If Clemson gets buried by FSU the writing is on the wall for a dud of a season. That I figure can only help us. They haven't shown anything to say they are a team we can't get a lead and hold it this time around.

I think we are 4-3 and win the rest with at Va Tech and home to WF being the only games I'm nervous about.

Caveat - GS is still standing.

Remaining teams in order of difficulty

FSU
UNC
Clemson
Wake
GT
Pitt
BC
Army
VT

Floor is still 7 wins. Definitely three tiers

Need to sweep the bottom three, min acceptable is 2-4 of the remaining six. Likely is 3-3, but certainly better is achievable.

Remaining teams in order of difficulty

FSU
UNC
Clemson
Wake
GT
Pitt
BC
Army
VT

Floor is still 7 wins. Definitely three tiers

Need to sweep the bottom three, min acceptable is 2-4 of the remaining six. Likely is 3-3, but certainly better is achievable.

How is GT that high??

Wake clearly isn't the same now that Hartman's 7 years are over (there).
But I do agree, they're prolly still 4th on the list.

I do concur with your top 3 tho.
What's borderline amazing now is - none of them seems like a guaranteed L anymore.
All of those teams have some warts, and have put up some stinker results, even in W's.

We do recruit against them. And, it pains BC fans deeply when we beat them.
But does it pain them because Syracuse is Syracuse or because Syracuse has been a fellow bottom feeder?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cusethunder

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom