3+5(5) can become 2+6(6) | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

3+5(5) can become 2+6(6)

Basketball season is not during baseball season.

If football season is still going on in NYC then Syracuse basketball doesn’t matter at all.
When we play in those thanksgiving tournaments in NYC the city doesn’t care. Our alums go the games.

College football is not going to matter in New York City on a consistent basis. It will be a segment. No college football team could carry an entire show on radio or TV in NYC.

You don’t get this.

In Philly Penn State doesn’t matter as much as the Eagles.
In Pittsburgh the Steelers matter more than Pitt Panthers + WVU + Penn State combined.

College football outside of the south for the most part is about alumni caring. We have a good portion of non alumni fans which helps but most interest in college sports is from locals to the area the College is located in or alumni.

Pro sports don’t rely on alumni as their primary fans.

The Northeast is overwhelmingly more interested pro sports than college sports.

In the SEC it’s not the same. There are other outliers in other college fanbases but it’s not like the SEC for the most part.
If Syracuse football was as good as Clemson football, they would have endless fans in the metro New York region. People love winners.

Dino won’t play Syracuse home games in NYC/MetLife.

If we play neutral site game there every once in a while it’s fine. Our home games should be played in Syracuse.

If MetLife were smart they would bring back the old Kickoff Classic pay 2 schools like the Chick-Fil-A guys does down in Atlanta and have a big time week 1 neutral site game.

Mix in Penn State/Miami/Syracuse/West Virginia types and play a game every year.
they shouldnt have to give up a home game unless they have at least 6 still at the Dome.

a savy guy could go 7-4-1.

dont care now, just want to 1, see games and 2, see fans at games.

they shouldnt have to give up a home game unless they have at least 6 still at the Dome.

a savy guy could go 7-4-1.

dont care now, just want to 1, see games and 2, see fans at games.
Syracuse will never be able to scheicle 7-4-1.

We can’t buy home games like SEC/Big Ten teams.

We can get one or two buy games a decade it seems. Like Middle Tenn St.

We can get 7-5 schedules.

Where we play 3 nonconference games at home and 1 on the road.

We are averaging 6.5 though.

The ACC Mandates we play 1 nonconference game against a P5 team.
Thus getting 7-4-1 is impossible every year.

Throwing a neutral site game once every 3-4 years is okay.

NYC isn’t our home.

If Syracuse football was as good as Clemson football, they would have endless fans in the metro New York region. People love winners.
metro NY fans don’t care about college football for any certain team.
They care about Yankees/Mets/Giants/Jets/Knicks/Rangers.
If we moved our campus to NYC and then won 2-3 NCs maybe the locals would care a little more.
Syracuse is only 50 miles closer to NYC than it is Boston. You don’t get that.

They use saturdays to just gamble.

College football outside of the south for the most part is about alumni caring. We have a good portion of non alumni fans which helps but most interest in college sports is from locals to the area the College is located in or alumni.

That is really the gist of it right there. NYC is such a big city, that there are enough Cuse alumni to get a decent turnout for a game at Metlife or Yankee stadium.

It's like that for everything in NYC. If you are a fan of a certain college or pro team, there is a very good chance you can find a bar with like minded fans. That's the beauty of living in a place with 10 million people

To think the average NYC resident will care about a certain college team (i.e. Cuse), that's a big stretch.

Syracuse will never be able to scheicle 7-4-1.

We can’t buy home games like SEC/Big Ten teams.

We can get one or two buy games a decade it seems. Like Middle Tenn St.

We can get 7-5 schedules.

Where we play 3 nonconference games at home and 1 on the road.

We are averaging 6.5 though.

The ACC Mandates we play 1 nonconference game against a P5 team.
Thus getting 7-4-1 is impossible every year.

Throwing a neutral site game once every 3-4 years is okay.

NYC isn’t our home.
they can do 7-4-1, it will just be a gauntlet.

it will mean 2 P5 teams.

the program is a long way from having to play clemson, fla st, 1 or 2 ACC power du jours, and 2 P5s, with 1 of them being the caliber of a OSU or Michigan in NYC and coming out with a good bowl.

Giants Stadium is a pain to get to??

and what the hell does this mean...Who wants to drive and not get a hotel and the subway?

yes, millions upon millions of football fans take the 'subway' to games every weekend all over America...

im guessing youve never been to a live football game before.

Syracuse should play in the NYC area again, but Giants Stadium is certainly too big for a 4-8 team and even if the Orange are good, 60k looks empty in there...its why Yankee is preferable, nicer on the eyes with a less than 40k capacity for football.

id like either (and im expecting it) for it will be fun to watch the board lose their minds again over it.

might be a few years, but the Orange will play NYC again.

Giants Stadium is a pain to get to. And where the Jets play is even worse.

k
Syracuse basketball is very popular there, which derails you theory. People are capable of being fans of pro and college teams. Look at Pa., people there are huge fans of the pro teams, but they seem to support PSU just as well. If you win big games and win often, you have fans.
If NYC is anything like Boston? Then no. They aren't allowed to speak about college sports on Boston radio, because no one cares. It wouldn't surprise me, if NYC was similar. (other than alumni)

The last time most people in Boston saw part of a BC game, is likely when Flutie threw the hail mary. No one cared when they were ranked #2 in 2007. I actually just found out about that, right now.

Last edited:
k
If NYC is anything like Boston? Then no. They aren't allowed to speak about college sports on Boston radio, because no one cares. It wouldn't surprise me, if NYC was similar. (other than alumni)

The last time most people in Boston saw part of a BC game, is likely when Flutie threw the hail mary. No one cared when they were ranked #2 in 2007. I actually just found out about that, right now.

The #2 ranking is third behind BC beating ND a week after ND beat FSU and was #1 in the country. THAT got people's attention in Boston. Coughlin had the team moving into relevancy around Boston.

BC beating Syracuse in the dome that year too was a massive victory too. Syracuse was top 5 entering the season and was like 12 i think entering that game.

That entire 93 season I argue BC was a top 10 team. Opened with Miami at BC. A game i "attended". I told my parents my buddy from home (who was at BC) was taking me to the game to show me around campus. When i get to his dorm, he looked at me and was like, "we're not going to the game, we're partying in the Mods all day!". Never saw a second of the game.

k

No one cares about BC in Boston because everyone there is a Notre Dame fan. That is the Irish catholic and catholic in general standard bearer.In addition, BC is an elitist school which doesn't warm the hearts of your typical college football fan.

No one cares about BC in Boston because everyone there is a Notre Dame fan. That is the Irish catholic and catholic in general standard bearer.In addition, BC is an elitist school which doesn't warm the hearts of your typical college football fan.
No they aren’t ND fans.
My god.
Nobody in Boston cares about BC because they aren’t the Bruins/Celtics/Patriots.

Notre Dame doesn’t get talked about either.
You think it’s the 1960s.

No they aren’t ND fans.
My god.
Nobody in Boston cares about BC because they aren’t the Bruins/Celtics/Patriots.

Aren't you from Mass? You said your family are ND fans, are they the only ones there?

No they aren’t ND fans.
My god.

This. No one freaking cares. There's like 100 colleges. Its like caring about your triple AAA baseball team. I'm a 40 year , diehard Boston fan, and I've never heard anyone that knows or watches BC football. The last I heard, is that there are 12 of us that watch college sports... lol

Christian Fauria is a sports show host, that also does a national College football show. On the radio, he jokes, "If I was allowed to talk about college football, I would say this...., but I'm not allowed to, so I won't ". They are NOT ALLOWED to talk about college sports, because literally, no one cares. I have to wonder if NYC shares the sentiment.

Last edited:
Aren't you from Mass? You said your family are ND fans, are they the only ones there?
My family ARE ALUMS.
They wouldn’t care about ND if they didn’t go there.

Go to Scituate, Swampscott, Quincy, Dorchester they don’t care about ND football.
It’s Patriots, Bruins, Celtics, Hell College hockey (out of spite I won’t include the Steven Murphy employing Red Sox) before college football.

This. No one freaking cares. There's like 100 colleges. Its like caring about your triple AAA baseball team. I'm a 40 year , diehard Boston fan, and I've never heard anyone that knows or watches BC football. The last I heard, is that there are 12 of us that watch college sports... lol

Christian Fauria is a sports show host, that also does a national College football show. On the radio, he jokes, "If I was allowed to talk about college football, I would say this..., but I'm not allowed to, so I won't ". They are NOT ALLOWED to talk about college sports, because literally, no one cares. I have to wonder if NYC shares the sentiment.
Hence the reason UMass addition to any conference is a negative. Massachusetts does not care one iota about college sports.

Christian Fauria is a sports show host, that also does a national College football show. On the radio, he jokes, "If I was allowed to talk about college football, I would say this..., but I'm not allowed to, so I won't ". They are NOT ALLOWED to talk about college sports, because literally, no one cares. I have to wonder if NYC shares the sentiment.
Do you think there are a lot of Northwestern fans in Chicago?

Do you think there are a lot of Northwestern fans in Chicago?
No but Chicago is a Big Ten hub city for all the other teams alums.
Hence it’s a good team for the conference.
Lots of Wisconsin/Michigan/Iowa/Illinois alums live in Chicago.

Therefore Northwestern gives their fans a game.

There aren’t tons of ACC alumni in Boston.
You are comparing apples to bananas.

No but Chicago is a Big Ten hub city for all the other teams alums.
Hence it’s a good team for the conference.
Lots of Wisconsin/Michigan/Iowa/Illinois alums live in Chicago.

Therefore Northwestern gives their fans a game.

There aren’t tons of ACC alumni in Boston.
You are comparing apples to bananas.
When you have an elite private school, your not going to have many fans. The more you make your argument, the more it seem that BC should be asked to leave the ACC. Give their spot to a place that cares about college sports.

My family ARE ALUMS.

Go to Scituate, Swampscott, Quincy, Dorchester they don’t care about ND football.
It’s Patriots, Bruins, Celtics, Hell College hockey (out of spite I won’t include the Steven Murphy employing Red Sox) before college football.
They will BRIEFLY speak of the Bean Pot. (Boston only college Hockey tournament. BC, BU, Northeastern, Harvard) Thats it.
Why would NYC be different? If you wanna argue that the population is more diverse? OK. May be more die hard Alums from where folks care about college sports.

Last edited:
Yankee Stadium would be better IMO. That was a good event even if we played like crap. Sight lines were fine. Guarantees a late season game.

Definitely something to offer for them to chose us.

They’d definitely be ok with SU in NY and Miami annually on campus under that format.

But I bet Texas comes with them and kills the Big 12. OU would still schedule them they have no choice as Houston would just become the replacement.
Yankee Stadium is a terrible football venue. I would rather not play there ever again. MetLife is a thousand times better but I do not want to play there very often either.

My family ARE ALUMS.

Oh god. Holidays must be a treat. :cool:

USC had more fans at Metlife than SU when they played and USC is a West Coast school. There's tons alums of every big time college program in NYC, they're not going to care about SU football.

USC had more fans at Metlife than SU when they played and USC is a West Coast school. There's tons alums of every big time college program in NYC, they're not going to care about SU football.
Very few people anywhere care about a team that has had 4 winning seasons in the last 15 to 20 years.

Oh god. Holidays must be a treat. :cool:
I actually agree with you about NYC (no offense to CousCuse). It's a pro sports town. However, I think Cous has a point that if SU wins more consistently ... we'd have as good a following there as any college team. ND's a national brand, and PedSt is popular as you approach the NY-PA border ... (not sure about NYC - doubtful). But for the other directionals, the heat maps show that SU is popular all across the state, north to the Canadian border, east to Albany, West into Erie county (the Bills take over there). But down near NYC .. it's the Yankees, Mets, etc ...

I actually agree with you about NYC (no offense to CousCuse). It's a pro sports town. However, I think Cous has a point that if SU wins more consistently ... we'd have as good a following there as any college team. ND's a national brand, and PedSt is popular as you approach the NY-PA border ... (not sure about NYC - doubtful). But for the other directionals, the heat maps show that SU is popular all across the state, north to the Canadian border, east to Albany, West into Erie county (the Bills take over there). But down near NYC .. it's the Yankees, Mets, etc ...
Penn St is HUGE in NYC.

its a lot of NJ's safety school when they cant afford Syracuse.

so it plays well with the younger crowd on Saturdays, but NYC in general is just a pro town.

theres no time to get to all 9 pro teams and throw in some college.

Mike used to do a real nice job with college hoop in november and whenever a big name team came to the Garden hed get the Coach then too, then listening to him watch the big Tourny was one of lifes great radio moments of any year. when him and Dog used to flipflop weeks of vacation in August, he would also fill some time with big time college football coaches...hes had Dino on. but once the season started, its irrelevant till the now F4. i dont think Joe & Evan care, hell Joe & Evan dont care to do Yankees & Giants as it is!

to say NYC is not a college town on a Saturday afternoon is just nuts, but it doesnt get any time over the air or much in print.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom