3.7 | Syracusefan.com

Nick44

All Conference
3.7 millon per year for 8 years is what Louisville signed to keep Coach Strong. Plus 2.65 million in additional incentives. Places him#7 among D-1 coaches per ESPN.

The million dollar question...What would Syracuse pay?

(This is not intended to be a "We shouldve paid DM more" blah blah post). Just thought it was interesting that a non-SEC school is paying that type of money. I remember when Phil Fulmer's 2m per year made national news.

I think this question is mightily important because to me, it is indicitive of a schools commitment to its program.

(after reading the thread title, my first thought was Shamarko just clicked off a new record number in the 40...)

Props to Louisville for having that kind of money in their athletic department. However, Syracuse couldn't match that...nor should they try and match that.

I'm sure Strong is building a solid program, but that's a helluva lot to pay for a college coach that hadn't delivered any hardware to the university (and he hadn't won the Sugar Bowl when this deal was signed)

3.7 millon per year for 8 years is what Louisville signed to keep Coach Strong. Plus 2.65 million in additional incentives. Places him#7 among D-1 coaches per ESPN.

(This is not intended to be a "We shouldve paid DM more" blah blah post). Just thought it was interesting that a non-SEC school is paying that type of money. I remember when Phil Fulmer's 2m per year made national news.

I think this question is mightily important because to me, it is indicitive of a schools commitment to its program.

I don't think it's just indicative of a commitment to it's program - it's also an indication of financial health. Some schools just can't pay that kind of money. I don't know about Syracuse - but UL has pretty deep pockets.

This is just Jurich putting his (state's) money where his mouth is. TJ promised to pay whatever it took to keep Charlie Strong at Louisville and it looks like he was good to his word.

I don't think it's just indicative of a commitment to it's program - it's also an indication of financial health. Some schools just can't pay that kind of money. I don't know about Syracuse - but UL has pretty deep pockets.
I'll tell you what...if Peyton and Papa John keep giving away free pizzas, the well might run dry!

TV money is exploding upwards in all sports. For example:

Basketball:

http://basketball.realgm.com/wiretap/225743/Average_NBA_Team_Valuation_Increases_By_30_Percent
The average NBA team is worth approximately $509 million, representing a 30 percent increase over last year.
The increase is due to higher revenue from television...

Baseball:

http://www.latimes.com/business/la-fi-ct-dodgers-tv-20130123,0,6585724.story

Time Warner Cable could pay the Dodgers $7 billion to $8 billion over the 20-year deal.

Football:

http://www.forbes.com/sites/mikeoza...-cowboys-lead-nfl-with-2-1-billion-valuation/

Evenly shared national television money has grown at a compound rate of 12% since the NFL merger in 1970, from $47 million annually to an average of $4 billion a year in the current deals the league has with NBC, Fox, CBS, ESPN and DircTV. The bounty will continue to grow. The long-term television deals that the league signed with NBC, Fox, CBS, and ESPN last year will average $5 billion a year combined beginning with the 2014 season. On top of that, the deal with DirecTV pays the NFL $1 billion a year from 2011 through 2014. Thus, the league’s total average annual television revenue will increase 50%, to $6 billion, assuming there is no change in the DirecTV fee after 2014.

At least Strong seems to be worth it. They went 11-2 and were ranked in the top 10 most of the year. Then kicked the crap out of the vaunted Florida Gators in a BCS bowl game.

We won't know what Syracuse would do unless we have a coach that duplicates what Strong has done.

pretty crazy to see the differences in Coaches salaries from just the last 10 years.

No way SU pays that kind of money for any coach. Could SU afford to, yes I believe they could but there not raiding there endowment to pay that kind of money.

That should be our budget for recruits.

That's a better deal than what Marrone received from the Bills - a far better deal.

I remember when Bud Poliquin referred to Pasqualoni's salary - up to $700,000 per year - in almost every column.

He did so, in my opinion at least, to get the fans all riled up.

"The guy makes gobs of money and we're only 6-6!"

And I think it worked a bit.

To the average Joe $700,000 was a lot of money.

But even back then Pasqualoni was making beans compared to what his contemporaries were making and the constant references to his salary reflected, in my opinion, a completely misguided assessment of the problems with the Football Program by the community's lead columnist/opinion leader.

A school's gotta do what it can. Schools generally have to pay the University at large for the cost of the athletic scholarships they award. How much does it cost to go to Louisville? SU? You can want to be committed to your program, but raw economics do place some restrictions on what you can do. Fact of life that private schools have to deal with.

For the record, I would be happy if SU paid Nick Saban $3.7 million to coach. Charlie Strong, not so much.

IMHO, Strong is someone that Louisville could not afford to lose, and they knew it. The last time they had a big name coach leave, they were on top of the football world, so to speak, and ended up crashing and burning with Kragthorpe. Jurich is a smart guy and wasn't about to go through that mess again, especially now. Pay for it now, or pay for it later. They paid dearly under Krags. I think we can all agree that Louisville overpaid, but it was a smart move nonetheless for where that program is at right now. If they have the means, have at it. There are worse ways they could have spent that money.

Strong is a natural fit for them, and unless he has NFL teams beating down his door in the next two years, he's not going anywhere. He's making SEC level money in the BE/ACC. He is locked up. Again, smart move by Jurich.

At least Strong seems to be worth it. They went 11-2 and were ranked in the top 10 most of the year. Then kicked the crap out of the vaunted Florida Gators in a BCS bowl game.

We won't know what Syracuse would do unless we have a coach that duplicates what Strong has done.

As "good" as LVille was last year, we put the bolts to them. So we were really "good".

is the 2.65 million$$$ incentive if he beats syracuse again?

Im putting money their QB wins the heisman and is number 1 pick next year.

I think so too. Hope that they're playing some top teams in the non-conference. Otherwise, competition level could play against him.

Congress should pass legislation for a maximum wage cap. Once you hit 7 figures income becomes irrelevant.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
newmom4503

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom