3 big-time misses yesterday | Syracusefan.com

3 big-time misses yesterday

Dcuse

All Conference
The missed slant to Broyld- easy 6 missed

Great play by Reddish but can't juke 400 lb lineman-2nd easy 6 missed for Reddish in 2 seasons(Cincy)

Dropped screen pass on last drive for Gulley- looked like it was gonna go for big gain.

Gotta agree with Go about Morris. Gulley has earned his stripes here and it would be a tough call to make but I think point blank-Morris is better.

It was hard for me to see personnel from where I was sitting, did Morris get many touches on offense??

Sent from my HTC6435LVW using Tapatalk 2

The Penn St. defensive front totally out played and out muscled our O line. Thus no running game. It wasn't the backs.

Yup. Their DL outplayed our OL. Our DL outplayed their OL. A couple of big plays for them were the difference.

It was hard for me to see personnel from where I was sitting, did Morris get many touches on offense??

Sent from my HTC6435LVW using Tapatalk 2

He had one carry for 4 yards. Looked quick and ran hard with no hesitation on it, and got as much as he could.

It's hard to tell much from 1 carry. Gulley was very good last year, but yesterday(even though there weren't many holes at all) was not one of his better showings.

He had one carry for 4 yards. Looked quick and ran hard with no hesitation on it, and got as much as he could.

It's hard to tell much from 1 carry. Gulley was very good last year, but yesterday(even though there weren't many holes at all) was not one of his better showings.

Somehow, I did get a lot from Morris' one carry. I thought he hit the hole much quicker and better than the other 2, and made max gain after contact. That and the open-field skill he showed on the two KO returns makes me think he deserves more touches.

I never thought gulley was very good Morris is significantly better. Not sure why he isn't at least the second option at RB.

I just want Broyld to get the ball more, everytime he touches the ball he looks like the most athletic imposing figure running the field.

We need to run more offensive plays. Period. We need to get first downs. We need to move the chains. The staff has to figure out if the best way to do this is by huddle or no huddle. By balanced attack or run heavy. The OC needs to establish an offensive identity. So far I've see suggestions like Broyld needs 10-15 touches. Rome needs 20-25. When you only run a little over 70 plays (it looks like 74) those touches become limited. Rome had 73 yards on 16 touches. We ran the football ok but didn't stick with it. We have to run this year. Gulley should be involved. Hell, run the diamond formation half the time with Broyld at QB. Now that would be exciting- Rome, PTG, GMII, Broyld all in the backfield. Won't happen but I can dream. I'm hoping the staff realizes our strength is using the run to set up the pass (including passes to the TE). Not running reverses with Flemming.

Not running reverses with Flemming.
I don't get this. Why does it seem that the last few years whenever we try a reverse it's with one of our slowest recievers. Last year it was Lemon, when we had Broyld, Clark, and Kobena. It needs to be Broyld or Estime on those plays this year. Or why not get crazy and line Morris up in the slot with Smith in a one back set. We could hand it to Smith, giving him the option to keep it or flip it to Morris coming the opposite way. If Morris has decent hands we could even use him on bubble screens. We need to get the ball to playmakers.

The missed slant to Broyld- easy 6 missed

Great play by Reddish but can't juke 400 lb lineman-2nd easy 6 missed for Reddish in 2 seasons(Cincy)

Dropped screen pass on last drive for Gulley- looked like it was gonna go for big gain.

Gotta agree with Go about Morris. Gulley has earned his stripes here and it would be a tough call to make but I think point blank-Morris is better.
I think you can add the missed field goal as well. It's makes the last drive much easier...attaining FG position as opposed to having to get into the end zone.