3 of the top 10 teams to not win a national championship in the last 10 years | Syracusefan.com

3 of the top 10 teams to not win a national championship in the last 10 years

played in the 2003 tournament. And we beat 2 of them.

IMO, an awful awful list... but nice to see us get such (albeit unmentioned in any of the blurbs) respect

http://www.answers.com/article/1180...medium=referral&utm_content=ssde-all#slide=35

In my opinion (I know this won't be popular) the best team in the past 10 years to not win a title is 2006 UConn that lost to George Mason in the Elite 8. The best team of my lifetime to not win a title I think is 1999 Duke (Avery, Langdon, Carrawell, Battier, Brand, Maggette, etc.) that lost to UConn.

In my opinion (I know this won't be popular) the best team in the past 10 years to not win a title is 2006 UConn that lost to George Mason in the Elite 8. The best team of my lifetime to not win a title I think is 1999 Duke (Avery, Langdon, Carrawell, Battier, Brand, Maggette, etc.) that lost to UConn.

That 2006 UConn team was impressive. What made George Mason's upset even more incredible is that UConn didn't play all that poorly. GMU played almost flawless basketball. That was one of the best non-SU basketball games I have ever seen.

That 2006 UConn team was impressive. What made George Mason's upset even more incredible is that UConn didn't play all that poorly. GMU played almost flawless basketball. That was one of the best non-SU basketball games I have ever seen.

The most flawless game ever was the villanova vs. Georgetown for the national championship. 79% from the field against the best defense of that era?

Insane.

^^ our 09-10 team should be on that list.

The problem with that team was that it was a ton of "good players"

Almost all 10 of these teams had an NBA superstar on it (sans wichita state)

Would have gone w 2008 Memphis...if it existed.

That UConn team was missing something. The "not ten games" team beat them in the BET quarters, and generally outplayed the Pups that day.

The most flawless game ever was the villanova vs. Georgetown for the national championship. 79% from the field against the best defense of that era?

Insane.

Yeah, that was some game. Three seniors. It was really amazing to watch. I just could not believe my eyes!

The problem with that team was that it was a ton of "good players"

Almost all 10 of these teams had an NBA superstar on it (sans wichita state)

No question the '09-10 team should be on there.
Definitely one of the top 10 teams of this century not to win it all.
Just for example, they were better than this year's Wichita State team...and that's taking nothing away from WSU.

But I'd also have to find a way to include the '03 UConn team.

That UConn team was missing something. The "not ten games" team beat them in the BET quarters, and generally outplayed the Pups that day.
Gerry was not gonna let us lose that tournament; it didn't matter who we played.

Gerry was not gonna let us lose that tournament; it didn't matter who we played.
I think a "real" #1 would have beat the Orange. And, G Mason further exposed the Huskies.

Yes they were, that team was losing in the 2nd half against 16th seeded albany, and they should have lost to washington in the sweet 16.

Yes they were, that team was losing in the 2nd half against 16th seeded albany, and they should have lost to washington in the sweet 16.
I think that was the 2nd round; wasn't Brandon Roy on that team?

It was a flawed team because despite all the talent it had, it really only had one ball handler.

Almost the opposite of the Kemba/Shabazz championship teams.

It was a flawed team because despite all the talent it had, it really only had one ball handler.

Almost the opposite of the Kemba/Shabazz championship teams.

I remember calhoun always talking about how frustrating it was to coach that team, and how hard he worked to try to get them to play hard on a consistent basis.