3-point shooting fouls | Syracusefan.com

3-point shooting fouls

B

Brooky03

When there is incidental hand/arm contact after the ball has clearly left the shooter's hand, why is that a shooting foul? This technically applies to all shots, but refs always seem like they love calling this on 3's and I've never quite figured out why. Body contact after the ball leaves or sliding a foot or leg under a shooter make sense as fouls, but rubbing your arm hair against the shooter's arm hair seems like it should be a play-on situation.

When there is incidental hand/arm contact after the ball has clearly left the shooter's hand, why is that a shooting foul? This technically applies to all shots, but refs always seem like they love calling this on 3's and I've never quite figured out why. Body contact after the ball leaves or sliding a foot or leg under a shooter make sense as fouls, but rubbing your arm hair against the shooter's arm hair seems like it should be a play-on situation.

It’s ludicrous. I don’t know when this started being thought of as fouls. It has nothing to do with the play and usually any contact is incidental and not dangerous. Actually, the majority of the time, the only dangerous thing is the “Kobe” when the shooter kicks his leg out to get the foul and is more apt to hurt himself. I would bet 95% of the calls should be no call.

seems crazy. once the ball leaves the hand a little incidental contact in no way effects the shot.

It affects the shot if it impedes the shooters follow through. Aside from that, contact should be called just like any off the ball foul.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CarlsbergMD

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom