3 Point Shooting | Syracusefan.com

3 Point Shooting

pfister1

2023-24 Iggy Winner ACC & OOC Record
Lots of discussion about how important 3 point shooting is in today's game. In our history we've had 9 guys complete seasons shooting greater than 40% from the 3 point arc for the season. I know it's early but we have 3 guys in our starting lineup that are currently over 40% and a fourth that is within a short hot streak of being there.

Lydon .435
Battle .434
White .404
Gillon .378

Lydon and Battle's percentages if maintained would place them 3rd and 4th in SU history for all time best single season 3 point percentage. Again, it's early and these percentages could very well suffer as we continue through the ACC meat grinder, but shouldn't we be able to put together a more proficient/consistent offense with that kind of shooting ability?

This is amazing actually. How other SU teams in recent memory could've used this kind of shooting like 2013. We should be playing like Villanova but don't have enough multiple good ballhandlers and speed. Those 3pt percentages are all null and void now, sigh.

Lots of discussion about how important 3 point shooting is in today's game. In our history we've had 9 guys complete seasons shooting greater than 40% from the 3 point arc for the season. I know it's early but we have 3 guys in our starting lineup that are currently over 40% and a fourth that is within a short hot streak of being there.

Lydon .435
Battle .434
White .404
Gillon .378

Lydon and Battle's percentages if maintained would place them 3rd and 4th in SU history for all time best single season 3 point percentage. Again, it's early and these percentages could very well suffer as we continue through the ACC meat grinder, but shouldn't we be able to put together a more proficient/consistent offense with that kind of shooting ability?

Gillon won't finish that high. I think the rest of the guys may. Point Guard holds this team back. They are shooting about 25% against P5 teams. Thats why we stink. It's not hard to figure out. PG's can't score and keep turning it over.

Lydon .435
Battle .434
White .404
Gillon .378

Balance is more important than shooting. Some see the current college and NBA trend towards shooters and think you're dead in the water if you can't put 4 guys on the court who can shoot. Well, it doesn't quite work like that. You need some shooters, but if you don't have post scoring to go along with it, you're probably going to suck.

Would take Paul Harris over White and Gillon, and he didn't quite shoot that well...White scores in the paint hardly ever and Gillon is inconsistent, especially against high-level competition.

Gillon won't finish that high. I think the rest of the guys may. Point Guard holds this team back. They are shooting about 25% against P5 teams. Thats why we stink. It's not hard to figure out. PG's can't score and keep turning it over.

This! We were within what 3-7 point 3 times in the 2nd half against a top ten team on the road when we must have given up 30pts on offensive rebounds and 15 on turnovers. We were in the game because of the excellent shooting that White, Lydon and Battle bring to the table. Its the PG play that kills us and doesn't allow us to have a dynamic offense that can overcome poor rebounding and interior defense.

upload_2017-1-18_14-5-24.png

Young and Artis lead the league in scoring...team is in last place...stats are overrated. Bye

Would take Paul Harris over White and Gillon, and he didn't quite shoot that well...White scores in the paint hardly ever and Gillon is inconsistent, especially against high-level competition.

Ugh. Nothing personal against the guy, but I wouldn't take PH over anybody really.

Lydon .435
Battle .434
White .404
Gillon .378

Our offense is actually not that bad; in conference player we are 3rd in offensive efficiency (partly as a result of who we have played, of course), but also because we have three great shooters and are shooting so well from the FT line:

In conference play, those 3 pt. percentages are:

Lydon .412
Battle .429
White .465
Gillon .300

Gillon is also shooting .240 from 2 in conference play, while Howard is .333 from 2 and .000 from 3. Why can't we put together a more proficient offense? Because PG play is sand in the gears

Lydon .435
Battle .434
White .404
Gillon .378

I love the post. I like when people put thought and time into something. However, I have to say winning is more important than 3 point shooting percentage. Sorry, I'm really grumpy about this team. I really thought we would have a better record.

Lydon .435
Battle .434
White .404
Gillon .378

Rumors of our terrible offense are greatly exaggerated... yes it can look like we don't even practice or have a plan at times but we have plenty of shooting. It's the D that has doomed this team most of the losses.

Edit: And yes for sure the sub-MAC level PG play... but hey at least we have SOMETHING we're good at to hang our hat this year.

Last edited:
Rumors of our terrible offense are greatly exaggerated... yes it can look like we don't even practice or have a plan at times but we have plenty of shooting. It's the D that has doomed this team most of the losses.

Edit: And yes for sure the sub-MAC level PG play... but hey at least we have SOMETHING we're good at to hang our hat this year.
It's an excellent 3-point shooting offense but this team does not score very well in any other way and does not do much on the offensive glass.

It's an excellent 3-point shooting offense but this team does not score very well in any other way and does not do much on the offensive glass.

It is a strange bunch. The post players all seem fairly adept passing as well on the high/low which isn't always the case - Thompson can extend a D, Coleman could extend a D when healthy.

We have a bunch of shooters from long range, some decent mid-range people.

Alas, one of our better ballhandlers off the bounce may be Roberson. Battle has to be first as he seems to be the best at dribbling when nobody is near him. After that, maybe Gillon then probably Howard, but both do struggle even when unguarded at times. Then maybe Roberson? Maybe White. Maybe Thompson. Hard to say they're all so damn awful trying to dribble at times. Exaggerating a bit for effect, but nevertheless, sad. Plus, the defense is awful except for like one combination that sorta-kinda works.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseEagle8

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom