#3 | Syracusefan.com

MSU, no question. They have beaten two top 10 teams. Their only loss is to UNC.

Wichita State, the only other candidate, has beaten nobody. Not one ranked team. They are already over rated.

State could lose this week. I don't think Illinois is that good a team -- a bubble level team. But they still pose a solid challenge on their home floor against Michigan St.

So let's say Michigan St loses. I would strongly consider keeping Wisconsin #3 on my fake ballot. But in the AP poll, Nova would move up to #3. Nova has 1289 vs Wichita St at 1300. I think some voters may cap Wichita St for a little while, and that may give a chance for Nova to gain those votes and squeak by. Wisconsin would be close to them as well, but they fall because that is what AP writers do.

MSU, no question. They have beaten two top 10 teams. Their only loss is to UNC.

Wichita State, the only other candidate, has beaten nobody. Not one ranked team. They are already over rated.

Not saying WSU is a top-5 team, but they beat St. Louis who is very good and ranked in the AP.

For whatever its worth (and I am sure little to most other than a good kick to my scrotum), KP's new #3 after last night is Villanova.

Current rankings after tonight
1. Arizona
2. Syracuse
3. Villanova
4. Wisconsin

Seems pretty normal up to that point...

5. Iowa
6. Creighton
7. Ohio St
8. Pitt
9. Kansas
10. Michigan St

14. Wichita St

Not saying WSU is a top-5 team, but they beat St. Louis who is very good and ranked in the AP.

True. St Louis, from the Atlantic 10, is a solid team, although barely ranked, but still that was a decent win. I am just prejudiced against the Missouri Valley Conference as a bunch of happy farm boys. A lifetime ago, Indiana State made a splash, but nothing out of there since then - that I can recall.

I would say give it to Wichita State for the time being. They won't be a 1 seed come March, but rankings are irrelevant for the most part and if they help Wichita State's recruiting and get them more high profile games in the future a la Gonzaga reward the little guy in the regular season. The regular season rankings aren't important for the big boys, but they help mid-majors I wouldn't have a problem if Wichita State was #1 in the regular season because their is no BCS in college basketball.

I think if we lose, it will be us. Zona and Sparty 1-2.
Lowest we drop with a loss is to #4.

Since i think we will win, I am going to say Sparty will be #3.

True. St Louis, from the Atlantic 10, is a solid team, although barely ranked, but still that was a decent win. I am just prejudiced against the Missouri Valley Conference as a bunch of happy farm boys. A lifetime ago, Indiana State made a splash, but nothing out of there since then - that I can recall.
Indiana St is actually not bad this year. They are 13-3(4-0) with wins @ND pre-Grant suspension and home to Belmont who should be a tourney team this year. I think they can give Wichita St a game and may be the only team in that conference with a chance to knock them from the ranks of the unbeaten.

I would say give it to Wichita State for the time being. They won't be a 1 seed come March, but rankings are irrelevant for the most part and if they help Wichita State's recruiting and get them more high profile games in the future a la Gonzaga reward the little guy in the regular season. The regular season rankings aren't important for the big boys, but they help mid-majors I wouldn't have a problem if Wichita State was #1 in the regular season because their is no BCS in college basketball.

Excellent post.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseGuy44

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom