30 For 30: The Tuck Rule | Syracusefan.com

30 For 30: The Tuck Rule

cliftonparksufan

Iggy Award Czar/Co 2020-21 Iggy Award Winner PPG
Anyone else watch it. I thought it was great. A few nuggets in there. Thought it was interesting that Walt Anderson, the ref, never reffed another Raiders game but he reffed 17 more Patriots games. I wonder if that was an Al Davis thing. Brady and Woodson definitely had fun doing this and it's just like any two old friends arguing over just about anything, but in this case, it was about a trip to Pittsburgh for a chance to play in the Super Bowl. I thought the ending was a little weak, but they did address whether Brady's legacy would have been the same if the play was ruled a fumble and he didn't go to his first SB.

I remember watching that game live after we won a HS basketball game.

That Raiders team was good, but they were on the road because they sht the bed at the end of that season. Wasn't really an upset like it was discussed.

And knowing BB there's no way he doesn't move on from Bledsoe even if they lose that game. I think Brady overplayed that part of the discussion.

Last edited:
Im like the biggest 30 for 30 guy out there until this one. Turned it off midway through. Watching Brady argue with Woodsen back and forth 100 times didn't do it for me.

That Raiders team was good, but they were on the road because they sht the bed at the end of that season. Wasn't really an upset like it was discussed.

And know BB there's no way he doesn't move on from Bledsoe even if they lose that game. I think Brady overplayed that part of the discussion.
I know the entire situation.
Jets went out to Oakland in the late game the last week of the season.

The Jets had to win to make the playoffs.
Raiders win and they were the 2 seed.
NE had won at Carolina earlier in the day.

Oakland gave that game to the Jets.
I remember it like yesterday. The Raiders had a backup kicker for some reason. He missed a XP and a chip shot FG.
Raiders had the ball with 3 minutes left and Gannon overthrew Roland Williams on 3rd down. Jets got the ball and drove down for a GW Fg.
Jets went back to Oakland the next week and lost.

They gave the Patriots a bye and the 2 seed.
Thar game was on a Saturday night during a huge snow storm and the Tuck rule happened. What is forgotten is the insane kick Vinateri made in a blizzard from 48.

Belichick moves on from Bledsoe no matter what.
Belichick didn’t like Bledsoe. He thought he was too careless with the ball and trusted his arm too much.

Belichick went all in during that season with Brady when Bledsoe was healthy.

Now winning the SB definitely made it easier but Bledsoe was gone.

I know the entire situation.
Jets went out to Oakland in the late game the last week of the season.

The Jets had to win to make the playoffs.
Raiders win and they were the 2 seed.
NE had won at Carolina earlier in the day.

Oakland gave that game to the Jets.
I remember it like yesterday. The Raiders had a backup kicker for some reason. He missed a XP and a chip shot FG.
Raiders had the ball with 3 minutes left and Gannon overthrew Roland Williams on 3rd down. Jets got the ball and drove down for a GW Fg.
Jets went back to Oakland the next week and lost.

They gave the Patriots a bye and the 2 seed.
Thar game was on a Saturday night during a huge snow storm and the Tuck rule happened. What is forgotten is the insane kick Vinateri made in a blizzard from 48.

Belichick moves on from Bledsoe no matter what.
Belichick didn’t like Bledsoe. He thought he was too careless with the ball and trusted his arm too much.

Belichick went all in during that season with Brady when Bledsoe was healthy.

Now winning the SB definitely made it easier but Bledsoe was gone.
They were rolling at 10-3 then they lost to 2 mediocre teams in Tennessee and Denver before losing to the Jets. It’s been 20 years at this point, but wonder if the Gruden rumors affected them down the stretch.

Gruden punting from the 50 on 4th and a foot up 3 with 2 minutes to go was incredibly stupid. Always thought he was a meathead as a coach and forgot that play until
last night. The Raiders deserved to lose the way they managed that game. Gannon was an elite QB at that time and he played that entire second half incredibly conservative.

Last edited:
Anyone else watch it. I thought it was great. A few nuggets in there. Thought it was interesting that Walt Anderson, the ref, never reffed another Raiders game but he reffed 17 more Patriots games. I wonder if that was an Al Davis thing. Brady and Woodson definitely had fun doing this and it's just like any two old friends arguing over just about anything, but in this case, it was about a trip to Pittsburgh for a chance to play in the Super Bowl. I thought the ending was a little weak, but they did address whether Brady's legacy would have been the same if the play was ruled a fumble and he didn't go to his first SB.

Rams would have won the Super Bowl, perhaps a third, and would still be in St. Louis.

NE also eeked out a 12-9 game vs a 3-13 team at the end of the season thanks to a ridiculous technicality/fumble that didn't count in OT.

NE also eeked out a 12-9 game vs a 3-13 team at the end of the season thanks to a ridiculous technicality/fumble that didn't count in OT.
He was out of bounds when he touched the ball after fumbling and getting jacked up that was the correct call.

He was out of bounds when he touched the ball after fumbling and getting jacked up that was the correct call.
That's nice. They still needed a ridiculous technicality vs a 3-13 team in OT.
Good thing there was no "common sense" enforcer like the 2019 wildcard in Houston.