4 or 5 point swings, plus some thoughts | Syracusefan.com

4 or 5 point swings, plus some thoughts

NineOneSeven

2018-19 Iggy Hoops Leader Scorer
Has any team ever had more negative 4 point swings than us in the last 3 games? I mean, how many times have we had a chance for a bucket just to either miss or turn it over, leading to points for the opponent? This happens for a few reasons imo:

1. Composure. They say the best teams are the ones that finish quarters (halves) strong. It's unbelievable how bad we are at closing first halves. Last night was an embarrassment. When you have the ball with the game clock under 20 seconds, under zero circumstances should the other team ever...EVER, get a shot up. I mean, the clock doesn't stop after a made basket!

2. Situational awareness. See the point above. We just completely lack this very underappreciated aspect of good basketball players/teams.

3. Focus. We lose it... a lot. Some of the lulls we go through are really, really bad. I think some of this comes down to coaching.

4. Effort. Why are we getting beaten in transition so much this year? Even on made baskets we struggle to get back. Far too many easy baskets for other teams. There was a stretch last night where GaTech scored a layup like 4 possessions in a row. Obviously interior defense with TT has been a problem all year, and when Lydon has foul trouble, but the lack of focus (see point above) and effort closing out on shooters in key moments (like the end of the first half) is tough to watch at times. I also think the rotations this year have been odd at times.

The last 3 games we missed golden opportunities to grab a much needed W, which has only made it more difficult for ourselves the final 3 games. That's what bubble teams do, though.

I want to see energy against Duke. If they simply outplay us and beat us, that's fine. They are a better team. I don't want to see the same constant mistakes that have killed us the last 3 games. We need this game. Play like it.

Agree, have been so many of these swings lately, and they are unbelievable frustrating.

Its been a long time since we've been poor defensively. It really is frustrating that this group of players simply hasn't improved in that regard.

Whole season has been frustrating. The last three losses have been incredibly frustrating, and could be post-season crushers.

Last night was an embarrassment. When you have the ball with the game clock under 20 seconds, under zero circumstances should the other team ever...EVER, get a shot up.
That was horrid. They let a kid who is shooting 38% on the season stand 5 feet behind the line and line up a set shot. There wasn't anyone within 10 feet of him.

That was horrid. They let a kid who is shooting 38% on the season stand 5 feet behind the line and line up a set shot. There wasn't anyone within 10 feet of him.

Has this team been coached on end of halves/ end of game situations? It really doesn't look like it. Either that, or we have the lowest collective hoops IQ of any team I've ever followed. Or maybe it's a combination.

This team can't afford any breakdowns like that. The margin for error is so slim, yet we keep giving teams points and momentum right before the half.

Has this team been coached on end of halves/ end of game situations? It really doesn't look like it. Either that, or we have the lowest collective hoops IQ of any team I've ever followed. Or maybe it's a combination.

This team can't afford any breakdowns like that. The margin for error is so slim, yet we keep giving teams points and momentum right before the half.

Yeah, outside of the heroic three we get at times - our execution with actual plays at the end of game/half situations has been amazingly bad. We might be better off taking a knee.

Yeah, outside of the heroic three we get at times - our execution with actual plays at the end of game/half situations has been amazingly bad. We might be better off taking a knee.

I almost was to that point after we screwed up the end of the first half. Just have Gillon hold the ball until the buzzer goes off. Nothing positive would happen but at least we'd limit the damage.

We need to take the ball out of Gillon's hands at the end of halves, he's a turnover machine in that situation. The problem is JB tells the team to clear out for Gillon to make a move to the rim.

Essentially- 5'9 go attack the rim.

Yesterday was different because he didn't get to make his move, but that's typically how it goes.

edit: I'd rather have white take his man and take a contested step back jumper.

The end of clock (half, end of game) execution has simply been horrendous. I hate to put it all on Gillon, but...

I was so mad at JB at the end of the 1st half. I can't believe he wouldn't put Robey in there to finish with Thompson when Lydon was so afraid to pick up his 3rd foul.

has lydon fouled out all season ? a 4/5 playing 40 + minutes ? pick your adj. not too aggressive or soft.

has lydon fouled out all season ? a 4/5 playing 40 + minutes ? pick your adj. not too aggressive or soft.
I think Lydon is very good at playing within what the refs allow as well as playing with fouls. He does play soft when he's picked up a few fouls, but that's because he knows JAB needs him to stay in the game. He's fouled out exactly twice in 65 career games despite playing 32.5 mpg mostly at the center position. That's crazy.

Its been a long time since we've been poor defensively. It really is frustrating that this group of players simply hasn't improved in that regard.

Whole season has been frustrating. The last three losses have been incredibly frustrating, and could be post-season crushers.

And if Battle didn't make that game winning shot...we'd be at 4 losses in a row. UGH!!!

I was so mad at JB at the end of the 1st half. I can't believe he wouldn't put Robey in there to finish with Thompson when Lydon was so afraid to pick up his 3rd foul.
And why leave 5-7 Gillon in on defense? Why not go with Howard and Battle at the top of the zone with 7 seconds left? If it all about wingspan? That made no sense to me.

You mean olé defense in the lane for the last 4 minutes isn't a good thing?

I think Lydon is very good at playing within what the refs allow as well as playing with fouls. He does play soft when he's picked up a few fouls, but that's because he knows JAB needs him to stay in the game. He's fouled out exactly twice in 65 career games despite playing 32.5 mpg mostly at the center position. That's crazy.
right. if you're a lottery pick playing at say 75% just to stay on floor , well then you're just another big body.

You mean olé defense in the lane for the last 4 minutes isn't a good thing?

Exactly.

Thompson was giving us more than enough offense in the first half. We could have survived.

That was a glaring mistake.

I really don't understand why we don't use Battle at the end in these situations or at least throw it to TT or Lydon in the post.

Ding ding ding. It's because for some reason, all of basketball in the last 15 seconds turns into a guard dribbling around. Doesn't matter if you've been scoring a certain way for 39mins. Last possession never seems to feature what has worked.

Ding ding ding. It's because for some reason, all of basketball in the last 15 seconds turns into a guard dribbling around. Doesn't matter if you've been scoring a certain way for 39mins. Last possession never seems to feature what has worked.

It's funny, one of the defenses for iso ball in late game situations is that it minimizes the chance of a turnover. Though that doesn't seem to be the case for us.

It's funny, one of the defenses for iso ball in late game situations is that it minimizes the chance of a turnover. Though that doesn't seem to be the case for us.
Agreed. I understand why it's done, but it's strange to treat the possession so differently from what you would do any other time.

battle is our immediate future. he should be on the floor to learn how to finish these games.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom