4 pre season ranked opponents | Syracusefan.com

4 pre season ranked opponents

OCESIP

Walk On
Granted that preseason rankings have a limited value, but as of now
SU only plays 4 games against ranked teams (Tenn, Texas, Duke, NC).
A couple of conference teams will probably play their way into
that category during the season, but I would think SU needs 2 of the
4 against the teams mentioned to make themselves relevant. Winning
against like quality opponents only gets you so far.

That’s wild. When we were in the 2005-2013 Big East and the first few years in the ACC, we would play ranked conference teams all the time. The ACC teams need to step it up this year in non conference play in order to help the conference’s NET ratings.

That’s wild. When we were in the 2005-2013 Big East and the first few years in the ACC, we would play ranked conference teams all the time. The ACC teams need to step it up this year in non conference play in order to help the conference’s NET ratings.
The other ACC programs are probably saying the same thing about Syracuse... step it up and get ranked like this program should be. I can't even remember the last time the hoops program was had digits in front of the name for more than a week.

The other ACC programs are probably saying the same thing about Syracuse... step it up and get ranked like this program should be. I can't even remember the last time the hoops program was had digits in front of the name for more than a week.

Which in todays world means get your donors to pony up

If anyone has let down the ACC in it's decline it's us. And our one final four as a member we played another ACC school to clinch it.

Granted that preseason rankings have a limited value, but as of now
SU only plays 4 games against ranked teams (Tenn, Texas, Duke, NC).
A couple of conference teams will probably play their way into
that category during the season, but I would think SU needs 2 of the
4 against the teams mentioned to make themselves relevant. Winning
against like quality opponents only gets you so far.
Also, if we upset Texas we'll likely get a crack at a Texas Tech team that is expected to be better than most of our conference opponents, so there's another potential opportunity.

We need the ACC to do a fair bit better in OOC play than 23/24 and a whole lot better than 22/23 in OOC play so we can pile up more Q1 and Q2 victories, and so that Q3 losses are more easily avoided.

I know some don't like the system that so heavily rewards OOC performance as a group, and the downward impact it has -- which I can understand -- but it is what it is.

The last 2 years there has always been 2 or 3 ACC teams that crap the bed in OOC play, then come to the ACC regular season and play close to .500 ball. That hurts the conference. Think someone like Georgia Tech last year or even FSU the last few years

Last edited:
Last season, 21 of the top 100 recruits according to RSCI committed to ACC schools. This is a pretty good number, indicating recruiting is going ok.

This includes 7 of the top 20... Extremely good recruiting at the highest level.

Unfortunately, of those 21 top 100 recruits, 6 went to Duke and 3 went to Carolina, leaving 12 to the rest of the conference.

3 of the top 20 kids went to Duke and 2 to UNC, leaving 2 to the rest of the conference (Freeman and somebody to Miami).

Recruiting will determine success in college basketball, just as it always has.

Syracuse has picked it up the last two years, but the rest of the conference needs to get their recruiting and NIL in order.

Or the conference risks becoming "Duke, Carolina and the legion of hobbits" going forward.

I’m including Syracuse in the “need to step it up” comment.

If anyone has let down the ACC in it's decline it's us. And our one final four as a member we played another ACC school to clinch it.
Louisville too. And Pitt as a third former Big East school that should always be decent.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SyraFreed

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom