48.3% | Syracusefan.com

48.3%

Trueblue25

Cali Award Magistrate; 2023 Cali Award Rushing Yds
Come on G that is an absolutely unacceptable free throw percentage. How the hell does Syracuse University have a guard shooting 38% from 3 and sub 50 from the line?

Does it come down to lack of practice? coaching? effort/focus?

I know he's having a solid season but that's a major flaw in his game that hurts.

I tweeted about this a few times vs va tech. He is absolutely a liability at the line (this was pre debacle).

His shots aren't even "close" like Buss'

And Chris is not much better.
Its not justifiable at all, but Chris is a 6'10ish growing forward whose probably not even entirely used to his body though blessed with athleticism.

Gbinije's been Gbinije for years. Get in the damn gym and figure out your shot. It's pretty aggravating. From my experience with basketball, though limited, failure like this at the free throw line from a guard just shows a lack of effort and discipline practicing.

I'm G's biggest fan, but he could help this team a lot more by hitting 70+% of his FT shots, that's not even asking much of a player like him.

Its not justifiable at all, but Chris is a 6'10ish growing forward whose probably not even entirely used to his body though blessed with athleticism.

Gbinije's been Gbinije for years. Get in the damn gym and figure out your shot. It's pretty aggravating. From my experience with basketball, though limited, failure like this at the free throw line from a guard just shows a lack of effort and discipline practicing.

I'm G's biggest fan, but he could help this team a lot more by hitting 70+% of his FT shots, that's not even asking much of a player like him.

I'm sorry but I don't understand why being a guard or a big should make a difference in how acceptable a 50% FT shooter is. I realize traditionally bigs tend to be weaker FT shooters, but that is still massively unacceptable. Nobody who is a legitimate basketball player should be under 60% and frankly being under 70% just means you aren't putting in the work to make FTs.

I once made 52 foul shots in a row goofing around in the gym - I don't get how D-1 players can't consistently hit foul shots, because I stink at the game.

I once made 52 foul shots in a row goofing around in the gym - I don't get how D-1 players can't consistently hit foul shots, because I stink at the game.

Yeah - I'm actually spectacular at the game, and I don't get it either. :)

I could hit 7 out of 10 shooting with about 15 feet of extra arc on a foul shot. I might be able to hit 50% left handed. Boggles the mind at times.:noidea:

Nerves.

Yeah - I always figure you lose a little in game situations - I think everyone does, but it seems like for most it should be maybe 10%, not 30%...maybe nerves are worse for some. Who knows. He needs to get that percentage up though.

Last week [redacted] around and got a triple double.

OttoinGrotto said:
Last week [redacted] around and got a triple double.

Get me on the court and I'm trouble...

44cuse

Anyone can get on a run and make a bunch in a row. The real test is to shoot two, run around a bit, and shoot two more. Do that 26 times and see how many you make.

I'm sorry but I don't understand why being a guard or a big should make a difference in how acceptable a 50% FT shooter is. I realize traditionally bigs tend to be weaker FT shooters, but that is still massively unacceptable. Nobody who is a legitimate basketball player should be under 60% and frankly being under 70% just means you aren't putting in the work to make FTs.

So your saying a player a 4 Time NBA Champion, a franchise player named "The Big Fundamental" who shot below 70% for his career simply did not work hard enough.

Gotta be nerves. He seems like a fragile kid when clutch time comes. Some kids are just wired that way. No surprise now that he starts strong and fades towards the end of a game. Still, this team is lucky to have him. If he can improve in end of game situations (big IF since the sample size is large enough now) then that would help us big time. I don't think Kaleb will see much end of game situation time moving forward so...

My little brother is a pretty good ball player and has trained with Gbinije at the same facility with the same trainer quite a bit. Before Silent G even stepped on the SU campus he told my dad and I that he's a good player but is terrible at the line. I believed him but I didn't anticipate him being this weak at free throws.

So your saying a player a 4 Time NBA Champion, a franchise player named "The Big Fundamental" who shot below 70% for his career simply did not work hard enough.
I remember a Shaq story where he was once considering the Rick Berry approach, but it looked uncool.

Yes I believe Shaq didn't work hard enough on his free throws. The dude was a dominant athlete who excelled in most other areas of basketball, but a piss poor free throw percentage that lead to the creation of a "hack-a-Shaq" defense that was capable of slowing him down is ridiculous. They are called "free throws" they are supposed to be easier to make, no one should be building a defensive strategy around forcing someone to shoot FTs over regular shots, and yet that's what teams did to Shaq for quite a while.

Shaq was one of the best to play the game, one of the most dominant at the position ever, but the dude was a terrible free throw shooter.

Someone is not working hard enough on their free throw shooting.

We always seem to have baffling FT numbers. I've never understood how it's possible to be so bad. There were a few good years, but generally speaking, we are an UNgood FT shooting team.

the reality most teams shoot about the same avg within 10%. the difference is which teams get the better shooters at the line. the best now shoots 78%, 200 teams shot better than 68%. we shoot 65% and there are 100 teams worse. that includes Lou, WV, FSU, Wash, Minn, Cal, UCLA, Wake, baylor, SH, VT, auburn several ivy schools too.

As bad as we think we are there are a ton of P-5 schools doing worse, so dont say its coaching, or kids not being smart enough to do better, or lack of practice..

if you shoot 20 a game that means we make 3 less than the best team on avg.

CM is all confidence, SilentG looks to me to be energy control. he is making more good shots from the 3 and looks rushed from the line.
Add in suddenly Cooney is throwing up bricks too.

Auburn was awful but the made them against us to almost pull out the game.

Gotta be nerves. He seems like a fragile kid when clutch time comes. Some kids are just wired that way. No surprise now that he starts strong and fades towards the end of a game. Still, this team is lucky to have him. If he can improve in end of game situations (big IF since the sample size is large enough now) then that would help us big time. I don't think Kaleb will see much end of game situation time moving forward so...

Honestly him and Rak seem like the most solid guys come crunch time. Gbinije's made multiple game shifting/tieing drives to the rack that have impressed all of us.

I don't think it's nerves, maybe its pre conference season exhausted, maybe the kids are still getting into shape. I miss the days when Joseph/Dion/Scoop/Triche/Rak etc. where every single game we looked faster and in better shape than the opponents.

When G lines up for 3 it almost always looks good, his stroke is really smooth. Then we steps to the line he looks like a 7'3 center who's never shot a FT before.

It kind of sucks because I think G has to the have the ball in his hands in crunch time (to drive himself or feed Rak/Cooney), but if he gets fouled I don't think anyone has confidence he'll hit the freebies.

Honestly him and Rak seem like the most solid guys come crunch time. Gbinije's made multiple game shifting/tieing drives to the rack that have impressed all of us.

I don't think it's nerves, maybe its pre conference season exhausted, maybe the kids are still getting into shape. I miss the days when Joseph/Dion/Scoop/Triche/Rak etc. where every single game we looked faster and in better shape than the opponents.

I hear ya re: Rak. He is money. Disagree with Silent G. Even JB has commented a few times how he starts strong then "reaches his quota" and stops playing. Quite possible regarding your second paragraph.