489 | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

They list Carmelo as #12. Silly list.

rankings for the top guys are still from last year. they had lebron, howard, wade, paul, dirk, durant, kobe, deron, rose, griffin and gasol ahead of melo.

this year, i could see him passing gasol, maybe griffin, maybe dirk, but westbrook, love and maybe rondo could move ahead of him, so he's likely to be in the 10-14 range again.

this year, i could see him passing gasol, maybe griffin, maybe dirk, but westbrook, love and maybe rondo could move ahead of him, so he's likely to be in the 10-14 range again.

I can't see him passing Griffin. If you thought Griffin was a better player last year I can't see how Melo having his worst year since his first year or two would move him ahead of Griffin.

Are the rankings just for right now? I'd definitely rather have Dirk for this year than Melo. Gasol; maybe not.

LeBron, Durant, Kobe, Howard, Nowitski, Rondo, Pierce, Wade, Paul should be above Melo, and that's 9 right there. I don't think #12 is that big a slap in the face.

Agreed, no brainer.

I can't see him passing Griffin. If you thought Griffin was a better player last year I can't see how Melo having his worst year since his first year or two would move him ahead of Griffin.

Are the rankings just for right now? I'd definitely rather have Dirk for this year than Melo. Gasol; maybe not.

I think the rankings are for what is expected this year. Last year at this time, I think it was expected that Griffin would make a huge leap in his 2nd year. While he is one of the 2 or 3 most exciting players in the league, he's not a finished product yet.

Even though Melo had some bad stretches last year (mostly when he was playing hurt, which I suspect was partially caused by the condensed schedule), I'm expecting Melo to have a great year this year. I am basing this on how he played the last month of the year (Eastern Conf. player of the month in April), how he played in the Olympics this summer, and how well he did the following season (08-09) the last time he played in the Olympics.

I also think Dirk has to start to slow down at some point. He'll definitely drop quite a bit from his #4 ranking from last year - I would bet he'll be no more than a couple spots ahead of Melo this year.

Had no idea Dirk was #4 last year; that seems a little high to me and I'm going to assume he was ranked that highly because the Mavs beat Miami a few months before the rankings came out. It looks like he may have already started to slow down last year (though it's hard to know how much was the condensed schedule and the fact that he clearly came in out of shape and him declining due to age)

Griffin isn't a finished product, but I'll say what I said before; if you (not you, the rankers) thought Griffin was the better player before last year then I see no reason to move Melo ah ead of him after the season both guys had.

One thing I never realized; just looking the guys up on Basketball reference is that Griffin has a better ast% for his career than Melo. (Not much, it's 17.8 for Griffin and 16 for Melo, and also Melo had a career high last year at 21%, but I wouldn't have guessed that).