49-36 | Syracusefan.com

49-36

NineOneSeven

2018-19 Iggy Hoops Leader Scorer
Since the miraculous (and misleading) 25-0 run. 57% winning percentage, but basically going 10-7 over 17 game stretches.

Posted this in another thread but thought it would be interesting to get some more visibility.

Yup! Very concerning, not doing well lately, looking at JB.

Imagine if we got left out last year, things would not be looking good for JAB.

The buck has to stop somewhere. And he gets credit for last season, but I haven't been to a win since Iowa in November 2014. Between this and football, Im exhausted by spending money on losing. I'll keep doing it. But every game sucks just a little bit more,

Last edited:
I'll never forget the run last year. That UVA game was something I will never forget.

Doesn't change the fact we had a guy put the Dome on his back to lead us back. Or that we got a great draw with MSU losing (this is a fact, ladies and gents). Incredible run. But people here love to ignore the means and only focus on the end. It's not always about what you're doing but how you're doing it (and you're damn right I'll take those great draws and crazy miracle type runs).

I'll never forget the run last year. That UVA game was something I will never forget.

Doesn't change the fact we had a guy put the Dome on his back to lead us back. Or that we got a great draw with MSU losing (this is a fact, ladies and gents). Incredible run. But people here love to ignore the means and only focus on the end. It's not always about what you're doing but how you're doing it (and you're damn right I'll take those great draws and crazy miracle type runs).
here is where I disagree. it wasn't an incredible run. we beat two bad teams, a mediocre team, and one good team that never advances. it was fun, but never felt that amazing because actual good teams were looming, and we had no shot against unc. we were a mediocre team that got lucky and wound up in a final four somehow.

here is where I disagree. it wasn't an incredible run. we beat two bad teams, a mediocre team, and one good team that never advances. it was fun, but never felt that amazing because actual good teams were looming, and we had no shot against unc. we were a mediocre team that got lucky and wound up in a final four somehow.

When you're considered on the bubble but make the F4, I would call it an incredible run.

I agree with your premise though.

I agree, but for years we had great regular seasons and then flamed out.,.and people complained. Now we had a bad season with an insane tournament run following a good but not great 2013 final four season...and people complain about the bad regular season.

Disagree...Virginia wasn't just a good team that doesn't advance, it was a team that we haven't beaten since joining the ACC. It was the ultimate Syracuse buster.

When you're considered on the bubble but make the F4, I would call it an incredible run.

I agree with your premise though.

And getting back to my last point, I think the great regular season is more fun. Now that we've experienced both, the tournament run is fun, but it's a few games of fun. I'd. Kill for the 2012 regular season right now.

UVA is better than mediocre. They were almost very good.

And getting back to my last point, I think the great regular season is more fun. Now that we've experienced both, the tournament run is fun, but it's a few games of fun. I'd. Kill for the 2012 regular season right now.
I actually disagree. I don't remember that team. I remember Final 4 teams.

But this is the ultimate shell game. The tournament is much more luck than anyone cares to admit. We drew some rough matchups with solid teams in the mid-90s and when everyone blamed JB for not being able to win the big one, we were a missed FT away from actually winning the big one and had a tough loss to a nasty Illinois team that cost that group a second final four. then you a had the Fab and Onuaku situations. I don't know -- I'm not trying to be an apologist I'm simply saying you have to just accept the tournament for what it is and enjoy it thoroughly when it breaks in your favor.

The disconcerting issue isn't so much the overall record to me, as it is the way we've played. It's brutally ugly and uneven. We have looked lost offensively for long stretches of each of the past two seasons and so far through 8 games this year. The defense has come together at times for a tourney run but also had some really bad stretches with St. John's and G'town in particular early last year and the entire 8 game stretch this year, IMO. It's just been really ugly hoops.

But this is the ultimate shell game. The tournament is much more luck than anyone cares to admit. We drew some rough matchups with solid teams in the mid-90s and when everyone blamed JB for not being able to win the big one, we were a missed FT away from actually winning the big one and had a tough loss to a nasty Illinois team that cost that group a second final four. then you a had the Fab and Onuaku situations. I don't know -- I'm not trying to be an apologist I'm simply saying you have to just accept the tournament for what it is and enjoy it thoroughly when it breaks in your favor.

The disconcerting issue isn't so much the overall record to me, as it is the way we've played. It's brutally ugly and uneven. We have looked lost offensively for long stretches of each of the past two seasons and so far through 8 games this year. The defense has come together at times for a tourney run but also had some really bad stretches with St. John's and G'town in particular early last year and the entire 8 game stretch this year, IMO. It's just been really ugly hoops.

The offensive dysfunction is very worrisome. The three seasons before this one were our three worst seasons in terms of PPG in 30 years. Like the rest of you I lived through some of our more mediocre (by SU standards) teams in the 90s and 00s and there is no way the teams of the past 3 years should've scored 5-10 points less per game than them.

Since the miraculous (and misleading) 25-0 run. 57% winning percentage, but basically going 10-7 over 17 game stretches.

Posted this in another thread but thought it would be interesting to get some more visibility.
uh-huh, and there have been no circumstances for this, have there?

The offensive dysfunction is very worrisome. The three seasons before this one were our three worst seasons in terms of PPG in 30 years. Like the rest of you I lived through some of our more mediocre (by SU standards) teams in the 90s and 00s and there is no way the teams of the past 3 years should've scored 5-10 points less per game than them.

I'd argue that college basketball as a whole has gotten uglier in that time, but your point remains valid. This is the dark ages of offensive basketball on the hill under JB.

I watch those last 10 minutes against Virginia at least once every two weeks. I guess I just miss the dominating regular seasons.
We've basically had 3-4 dominating regular seasons.

We don't run at all. No easy baskets, which always covered up front court issues...

This is a very concerning number. To me, this boils down to recruiting. Some guys don't really pan out due to injury (DC, McColluh) and getting very few 5* guys.

We may never compete with the likes of UNC, Duke in recruiting, but why can't we bring in better players?

I'd argue that college basketball as a whole has gotten uglier in that time, but your point remains valid. This is the dark ages of offensive basketball on the hill under JB.

I agree. A lot of CBB is unwatchable.

And that 49 includes 15-16 early season gimme's......Colgate 3 times, cornell twice, holy cross twice, elon, kennesaw, montana st, etc......

This is a very concerning number. To me, this boils down to recruiting. Some guys don't really pan out due to injury (DC, McColluh) and getting very few 5* guys.

We may never compete with the likes of UNC, Duke in recruiting, but why can't we bring in better players?

We are way behind the curve in the ACC right now. We are just a mediocre ACC program since we have joined. The record speaks for itself and our "monster 2017" recruiting class certainly has not panned out. Very troubling signs all around.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
McCuse

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom