4th and 9 Defensive Call | Page 4 | Syracusefan.com

4th and 9 Defensive Call

Brutal. Apparently Robinson is just another meathead coach who lacks introspection.

The obvious concern is that he clearly didn't learn anything from that debacle of a call. So something similar is going to happen again.

Very, very, very disappointing. Guy is gonna cost us another game for sure.

This is nothing more than a coach supporting Clarance Lewis and saying he has confidence in him in man coverage with the game on the line.

Don’t read too much into it. Coaches use these to send a message to their teams.

I said it in a different thread, but I can’t believe we’re still talking about this. Syracuse.com has now used three interview sessions (postgame, Monday and Tuesday) to write about one play from last Friday. Let’s move it along.
Disagree. This is a hardheaded guy literally saying he wouldn't change the call.

Fran said all the right things to defend Lewis. And I don't recall much fan outrage directed at Lewis to begin with.

Robinson is being obtuse. It's maddening, but typical.

That's the conclusion you came to?
Conclusion? How is 'He's losing me' become a conclusion? It's not a final opinion or final judgment. I didn't say he's completely lost me. But I do feel like he's a SEC coach who's used to coaching the cream of the crop and yeah those guys you can leave on an island. Our guys you don't, not when defending future NFL WRs. the fact that he refuses to consider that maybe he needs a new approach is hard-headed ego. Cmon man.

Disagree. This is a hardheaded guy literally saying he wouldn't change the call.

Fran said all the right things to defend Lewis. And I don't recall much fan outrage directed at Lewis to begin with.

I just see the staff defending one another and defending the player. They know they blew it, and are just trying to spin it as positively as possible. Losing your first game as a new staff, especially this way, has to be tough to navigate for everyone involved. I'd rather see this than a ton of infighting and fingerpointing.

Hopefully Robinson doesn't prove me wrong on this in the next several weeks...

Conclusion? How is 'He's losing me' become a conclusion? It's not a final opinion or final judgment. I didn't say he's completely lost me. But I do feel like he's a SEC coach who's used to coaching the cream of the crop and yeah those guys you can leave on an island. Our guys you don't, not when defending future NFL WRs. the fact that he refuses to consider that maybe he needs a new approach is hard-headed ego. Cmon man.

The article take-away.

Stanford ended up making the lowest percentage play they could've made considering all the stats in that article (which was very well written). Sometimes that actually happens.

I just see the staff defending one another and defending the player. They know they blew it, and are just trying to spin it as positively as possible. Losing your first game as a new staff, especially this way, has to be tough to navigate for everyone involved. I'd rather see this than a ton of infighting and fingerpointing.

Hopefully Robinson doesn't prove me wrong on this in the next several weeks...
Do they know they blew it? Robinson literally said he'd make the same call again. That seems like the complete opposite of knowing he blew it. It seems like hardheaded nonsense. Granted, that's the typical mindset of 95% of football coaches.

The article take-away.

Stanford ended up making the lowest percentage play they could've made considering all the stats in that article (which was very well written). Sometimes that actually happens.
I see. Let's do it this way. Forget the article. Let's go back to Friday night.
When I saw 8 drop back into coverage and us only rush 3, I screamed at my TV.
When i found out we had single coverage AND only rushed 3 I said 'what in the ever living fart!" but I didn't say fart.
When I heard the coach say "I wouldn't change anything" I got instant flashbacks to P's blowouts. "The gameplan was fine" but we still lost by 40 type of BS.
This coach has only coached SEC level talent. He needs to take a damn step back and not just say oh well the numbers backed me up.
Let's look at some other numbers. What was the completion percentage and average yards gained per thrown when we rushed 5 or more vs rushing 3? Let's look at ALL the numbers.

Do they know they blew it? Robinson literally said he'd make the same call again. That seems like the complete opposite of knowing he blew it. It seems like hardheaded nonsense. Granted, that's the typical mindset of 95% of football coaches.
Folks at the game with me who know nothing about football could tell that the defensive play call made no sense. The staff knows. ERob gambled that it was a low-percentage play for Stanford (I argue that his play call made it a much higher percentage) and got burned. It's easy to call it idiotic in retrospect, and while I disagree with him, I can see why he did it and respect that he's not throwing anyone under the bus.

If I'm wrong, it'll be painfully obvious soon enough.

I see. Let's do it this way. Forget the article. Let's go back to Friday night.
When I saw 8 drop back into coverage and us only rush 3, I screamed at my TV.
When i found out we had single coverage AND only rushed 3 I said 'what in the ever living fart!" but I didn't say fart.
When I heard the coach say "I wouldn't change anything" I got instant flashbacks to P's blowouts. "The gameplan was fine" but we still lost by 40 type of BS.
This coach has only coached SEC level talent. He needs to take a damn step back and not just say oh well the numbers backed me up.
Let's look at some other numbers. What was the completion percentage and average yards gained per thrown when we rushed 5 or more vs rushing 3? Let's look at ALL the numbers.

Stanford beat the blitz all day long. They did less well when we played coverage. Their QB's numbers stunk going downfield both in season and on Friday night.

So...we do something different and the probability of success for the Cardinal goes exponentially up this place would lose it's mind based on all the data presented.

Folks at the game with me who know nothing about football could tell that the defensive play call made no sense. The staff knows. ERob gambled that it was a low-percentage play for Stanford (I argue that his play call made it a much higher percentage) and got burned. It's easy to call it idiotic in retrospect, and while I disagree with him, I can see why he did it and respect that he's not throwing anyone under the bus.

If I'm wrong, it'll be painfully obvious soon enough.
I'd just push back respectfully that it was idiotic in retrospect. It was idiotic in real time. Particularly because they changed their call after the TO. Not only did the call make little sense, but if you're going to play that way then you have to challenge the WR off the line.

Regardless, he should have thrown HIMSELF under the bus, just as Fran did. Saying he'd make the same call again is absurd.

I've been pretty unimpressed with his D coordinating 3 games into the season. Robinson needs to clean this mess up quick.

Stanford beat the blitz all day long. They did less well when we played coverage. Their QB's numbers stunk going downfield both in season and on Friday night.

So...we do something different and the probability of success for the Cardinal goes exponentially up this place would lose it's mind based on all the data presented.
Did they? I mean beat the blitz all day. Anyone have any numbers regarding comp pct and avg yards gained when rush 3 vs 4 or more?

I'd just push back respectfully that it was idiotic in retrospect. It was idiotic in real time. Particularly because they changed their call after the TO. Not only did the call make little sense, but if you're going to play that way then you have to challenge the WR off the line.

Regardless, he should have thrown HIMSELF under the bus, just as Fran did. Saying he'd make the same call again is absurd.

I've been pretty unimpressed with his D coordinating 3 games into the season. Robinson needs to clean this mess up quick.
His defense gave up one offensive TD in the game. It's not like they allowed 50. You don't like the call, totally legit.

We can disagree on parsing through one quote five days after the game on its true intentions.

Let's slow down on crushing the defense. They lost their best player week 1 and a key DT after week 2. They held Stanford to one offensive TD and handled Georgia Tech's rushing offense better than any other team has so far. They're not awful.

Did they? I mean beat the blitz all day. Anyone have any numbers regarding comp pct and avg yards gained when rush 3 vs 4 or more?
the paper story said he threw much better vs the blitz all game long.

If we did blizt he probably just lobs it up and prays the kid makes a play.

His defense gave up one offensive TD in the game. It's not like they allowed 50. You don't like the call, totally legit.

We can disagree on parsing through one quote five days after the game on its true intentions.

Let's slow down on crushing the defense. They lost their best player week 1 and a key DT after week 2. They held Stanford to one offensive TD and handled Georgia Tech's rushing offense better than any other team has so far. They're not awful.
Fair enough.

One offensive TD that was only made possible by an insane NFL caliber highlight catch.

I agree with your take on this. But coaches say things. I don't think a lot of them are that introspective in general. His defense has been pretty solid the last two games. Just like I don't put much weight behind coaches saying all the right things, I wouldn't put much weight behind this. Just because he wouldn't change the call he made friday, that doesn't mean he'll do the same thing next time we're in that position.

the goal of the D is to get people in the right spots.

Some of the biggest plays this year against the D have come from players not making plays. Even last week some missed tackles led to some plays. Much like the first GT TD should have been a loss not a TD.

it wasnt bad coverage on that 4th down play. It was pretty decent. Hard to stop that play when the throws is decent and the WR makes a tough catch.

We're ranked 92nd nationally in team defense and 94th in the country against the run. This is against teams with a combined record of 7-5. Our defense is not good.

6 of 8 completes and a 7th was dropped. Do not know on yards.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tucker

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom