4th in the coaches poll | Syracusefan.com

4th in the coaches poll

Personally I think that is kind of low considering we won against the best team in the country on the road. I don' t think Duke should be Number 1 either.

Personally I think that is kind of low considering we won against the best team in the country on the road. I don' t think Duke should be Number 1 either.

4th is very fair to me. Our win against Louisville is the most impressive of the college basketball season thus far, but the rest of our schedule has been very weak.

Ahhh it doesn't really matter. I figured we be 3 or 4 thats just the way things work. There is no clear cut #1 team this season take your pick of 5 or so and then the next 5 are pretty damn close to them as well IMO.

Who are the two poor souls that voted for us for #1?

I'm a little surprised that Duke got the majority of #1 votes (20/31). I thought it would have been closer, esp with Kelly being out.

I'm a little surprised that Duke got the majority of #1 votes (20/31). I thought it would have been closer, esp with Kelly being out.

That was my exact thought a well. I fully expected it to be distributed pretty evenly and not so top heavy.

That was my exact thought a well. I fully expected it to be distributed pretty evenly and not so top heavy.

Maybe we got dinged a bit because of the Southerland issue.

Not that it really matters at this point, although it doesn't hurt recruiting to be #1 at this point, I'm sure.

We will get the job done on the hardwood floor. We have shown that we can beat another top level team and perhaps no other team in the Nation has as much potential to improve as we do. Hopefully DC2, Cooney, & Grant continue to take advantage of increased playing time and we continue to improve heading toward tourney time.

Duke isn't the number one team overall without Kelly, with Kelly maybe.

How about Kansas being #2 by the Coach's? Very surprising, I expected them to be behind Michigan and very close to Syracuse in both polls.

Hard for me to see any reason why Kansas should be ahead of Mich but they did beat OSU who beat Mich sooooo whatever. Take your pick any of these teams may be the best Duke, Mich, SU, Lville, Kansas, Florida.

I definitely feel disrespected, but these things really don't matter. You're as good as your last game.

All that matters is that we're in Philly and DC come March.

All of the top 7-8 teams will lose additional games during the course of the season...except for probably Kansas as the Big 12 is weak weak weak this year. If KU doesn't go down at K State this week (the only somewhat tough road game they have) they'll probably run the table. While being #1 is an ego trip and maybe gives a little boost to recruiting, I actually think SU is better off laying at number 2-5 and not having the big bullseye on it's back and the extra pressure. Meanwhile let's win today, that's more important.

It is funny that the coaches moved us up two spots. The same as if we hadn't played this week (with #1 and #2 losing). Of course #1 wouldn't have lost if we hadn't beaten them... I actually predicted the reverse of what happened, 3 in coaches and 4 in AP.

Nutshell arguments for #1 (in alpha order)

Arizona - only loss is to under-appreciated Oregon team; beat solid Florida team; #4 SOS
Duke - Best schedule (other than Miami apparently), 4 top 20 wins
Florida - #1 in defense, #1 in defense according to KPOM
Kansas - 6 top-50 wins; longest winning streak among the contenders
Michigan - Best team in best conference; 3 top 25 wins
Syracuse - Best road win of season; 20 pt. scoring margin

Nutshell arguments against being #1 (in alpha order)

Arizona - not really dominant in wins; lucky vs. Colorado
Duke - not as full strength with Kelly hurt
Florida - 2 losses
Kansas - only 1 win vs. ranked opponent (@ OSU)
Michigan - most recent team to lose; # 16 SOS
Syracuse - weakest SOS of group (#38); worst loss of group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CB277777

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom