5.5 man rotation | Syracusefan.com

5.5 man rotation

PauliePeppas

Hall of Fame
coming off three games in 3 days? No
Coleman? Not ideal, Saturday might get ugly...Gtown is desperate for s big win, talented , and deep with some big boys down low. Oh and they beat this Wisconsin team by double figures.

Yep, forget this game by itself, if we only play 6 guys all year we will be beat and broken by the end. If we make tourney we are one and done

Yup, Coleman had sond nice boards in there tonight and was a good presence...think long term Jimmy please. If hes healthy play the kid, or do you want Lydon guarding Kennedy Meeks for 40 mins?

coming off three games in 3 days? No
Coleman? Not ideal, Saturday might get ugly...Gtown is desperate for s big win, talented , and deep with some big boys down low. Oh and they beat this Wisconsin team by double figures.

just like wisconsin was desperate for a win yet somehow we come out flatter than my kid sister (i don't have 1, just a figure of speech)

I had a great feeling going into today and a bad feeling going into bahamas. Now i have a bad feeling going into GTOWN, hopefully I'm wrong. But a loss will put us back on the "bubble" --- not that it matters this early, just saying, Id rather be on the good side and don't want to risk too many bad losses. and don't kid yourself, tonight was a bad loss.

Yep, forget this game by itself, if we only play 6 guys all year we will be beat and broken by the end. If we make tourney we are one and done

This is where a JB weakness (his extreme stubbornness) is exposed. I get that he wants to win every game, but he has to realize that playing Coleman & Howard makes this a stronger/better team come March.

This is where a JB weakness (his extreme stubbornness) is exposed. I get that he wants to win every game, but he has to realize that playing Coleman & Howard makes this a stronger/better team come March.

How do you know Coleman's knees were not sore and he needed to rest? He described over the summer in a Post article if he plays too much he gets sore. Maybe he was not able to play. Maybe Mike Waters crack reporting will find out.

How do you know Coleman's knees were not sore and he needed to rest? He described over the summer in a Post article if he plays too much he gets sore. Maybe he was not able to play. Maybe Mike Waters crack reporting will find out.

During the second half broadcast, Andy Katz said he spoke with the SU bench about same and how he was informed that nothing was wrong with Coleman's knees, etc., it was strictly a coaching decision to keep Coleman out.

and JB's "do whatever it takes to win the game" approach obviously went out the window - he really should have seen by midway thru the 2nd half that something needed to be done to strengthen the interior, and done something about it. Instead he went smaller :confused:

and JB's "do whatever it takes to win the game" approach obviously went out the window - he really should have seen by midway thru the 2nd half that something needed to be done to strengthen the interior, and done something about it. Instead he went smaller :confused:

Makes some sense when Lydon is stretching the floor, making shots, etc. like his fantastic performance in the Bahamas. But tonight he wasn't and struggled immensely...Coleman certainly should've gotten some run in the second half imo.

Our substitutions today were weak...

That freshman Happ had 15 rebounds , FIFTEEN...im scared what other ACC teams will do to us on the boards. Kids are maxing out with their effort but just not big enough, it stinks

Yup, Coleman had sond nice boards in there tonight and was a good presence...think long term Jimmy please. If hes healthy play the kid, or do you want Lydon guarding Kennedy Meeks for 40 mins?
"IF HE'S HEALTHY..." See, there's the thing. Is he? Is he okay?

Whoops, made my post about the same thing before I saw your post. If he's knees are hurting, I am not sure Sherlock Holmes could find it out. That is not information Boeheim would want to share.

Whoops, made my post about the same thing before I saw your post. If he's knees are hurting, I am not sure Sherlock Holmes could find it out. That is not information Boeheim would want to share.

Which Sherlock? Cumberbatch could definitely find out.

No surprises should be had about any of this.
JB & his "play em til they drop, because kids don't get tired", short benchitis, is just showing up earlier than usual.
Tonite 's coaching maneuvers inspire zero confidence for the upcoming year. Yes, maybe if we shoulda coulda woulda hit our fts then we win the game, but the old "shrunken bench trick" is really tired, IMO.

Atleast Kaleb Joseph entered the circle of trust. I would call it a 6 man rotation. G, Cooney, RIchardson, Lydon, Roberson and .5 Coleman/.5 Joseph.

No surprises should be had about any of this.
JB & his "play em til they drop, because kids don't get tired", short benchitis, is just showing up earlier than usual.
Tonite 's coaching maneuvers inspire zero confidence for the upcoming year. Yes, maybe if we shoulda coulda woulda hit our fts then we win the game, but the old "shrunken bench trick" is really tired, IMO.

I wish everyone would step back from the personal biases for a moment and consider this:

How, after all these years, has an excellent coach gotten so conservative that he will only play 5 or 6 kids while sitting a handful of guys who he recruited to play for his team, despite tons of evidence that athletes perform better with rest? It's truly bizarre. I remember 1992 and 1995 and all those other years when reserves played a positive role. That was a good thing.

That said, there's no way this is going to change, so I'm going to do my best to enjoy the team and not harp on what the coach could be doing better. Because that's only detracted from my enjoyment in recent seasons.

I wish everyone would step back from the personal biases for a moment and consider this:

How, after all these years, has an excellent coach gotten so conservative that he will only play 5 or 6 kids while sitting a handful of guys who he recruited to play for his team, despite tons of evidence that athletes perform better with rest? It's truly bizarre. I remember 1992 and 1995 and all those other years when reserves played a positive role. That was a good thing.

That said, there's no way this is going to change, so I'm going to do my best to enjoy the team and not harp on what the coach could be doing better. Because that's only detracted from my enjoyment in recent seasons.
To his credit the one year where we were stacked, he did play a long bench. But overall its gotten worse and worse, again as you stated, despite all evidence to the contrary. Cooney, not to mention Mal, G, and TL, will be absolute shells of themselves by March- why is that so hard for JB to see?
No one's saying to play kids who may not be ready, but what the hell does a win in Nov matter if they have NO PT experience when they're really needed, come the postseason? Champions of Oct-Feb doesn't mean squat...it never has!
I wish one of the gutless press corps would put this question before JB and get a straight answer on this philosophy of his. #frustrated

To his credit the one year where we were stacked, he did play a long bench. But overall its gotten worse and worse, again as you stated, despite all evidence to the contrary. Cooney, not to mention Mal, G, and TL, will be absolute shells of themselves by March- why is that so hard for JB to see?
No one's saying to play kids who may not be ready, but what the hell does a win in Nov matter if they have NO PT experience when they're really needed, come the postseason? Champions of Oct-Feb doesn't mean squat...it never has!
I wish one of the gutless press corps would put this question before JB and get a straight answer on this philosophy of his. #frustrated
I generally agree with you. But with JB I think it truly is about his mindset within each game. That is, "we have to do whatever it takes to win this game." And that's it. I think it's even possible that between games he considers playing more people, but then that goes out the window in the heat of game battle.
and, also, do you really think he would give any sort of straight answer if he were questioned like that publicly? I mean, don't get me wrong, it would be entertaining to witness such an exchange, but I can only imagine how he'd respond.

I generally agree with you. But with JB I think it truly is about his mindset within each game. That is, "we have to do whatever it takes to win this game." And that's it. I think it's even possible that between games he considers playing more people, but then that goes out the window in the heat of game battle.
and, also, do you really think he would give any sort of straight answer if he were questioned like that publicly? I mean, don't get me wrong, it would be entertaining to witness such an exchange, but I can only imagine how he'd respond.
Which is the opposite of a guy like Izzo who will sacrifice wins in the regular season to have his team ready by the postseason.

Hmm... Remind me again who is a Tourney overachiever and who is a Tourney underachiever?

So how will it feel if Battle for Atlantis is the highlight of our season, our players are ground up come March, and Uconn wins the NC with a 4 guard rotation?

Which is the opposite of a guy like Izzo who will sacrifice wins in the regular season to have his team ready by the postseason.

Hmm... Remind me again who is a Tourney overachiever and who is a Tourney underachiever?
Pitino is another example, and dare I say a JTII who literally had waves of players coming off the bench at GTown.
Maybe its a personal preference, but short of a team filled w/ lottery picks like Duke last year where you play the first 5-6, I prefer seeing teams w/kids who play and DEVELOP during the season, and then hopefully contribute positively come March. The 25-0 team faded, IMO, largely because of fatigue.
I don't expect JB to change his philosophy, he's won 100's of games w/ it. But he IS seen as an underachiever when it comes to winning when it matters, that's a fact. Another flame-out in March would just add to that perception, no matter how many OOC "championship " tourneys we win. JMHO

JB believes that with the TV TOs and the additional team TOs and other time stoppages, players can go almost the full boat without needing an extended rest.

If JB, or anyone, believes that, we'll see these short rotations.

It's won him a lot of games.

Personally, I would rather have an extended bench now that gets shorter around tourney time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Laxfan516

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom