5 guys, 3 spots? | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

5 guys, 3 spots?

Watts is not on board. Its gonna be Linton and Johnson tomorrow and we will pocket what we have left for Transfers/late qualifiers/Shy.
Didn't think he was. Was more looking for opinions on a 5th db this class versus an rb. It seemed from the time Greenwood committed leading up to early signing the staff was set to take 5 dbs this class, which I found a little surprising. It seemed like if Hewitt or Watts committed, that's who we would take with the last spot over Johnson at rb. Just wanted some other takes on the calculus there. Both Hewitt and Watts seemed like solid gets, but I wouldn't call them transcendent. While I think Johnson is a solid prospect, he's the closest thing to a reach I've seen by this staff. Add that the depth at rb is looking solid for the next cycle, I'm just scratching my head a little.

Didn't think he was. Was more looking for opinions on a 5th db this class versus an rb. It seemed from the time Greenwood committed leading up to early signing the staff was set to take 5 dbs this class, which I found a little surprising. It seemed like if Hewitt or Watts committed, that's who we would take with the last spot over Johnson at rb. Just wanted some other takes on the calculus there. Both Hewitt and Watts seemed like solid gets, but I wouldn't call them transcendent. While I think Johnson is a solid prospect, he's the closest thing to a reach I've seen by this staff. Add that the depth at rb is looking solid for the next cycle, I'm just scratching my head a little.

Just because Johnson isn't a big need doesn't mean hes a reach. I think he's actually a pretty good prospect and he has a bunch of offers. This staff has offered many more questionable kids then this one.

Just because Johnson isn't a big need doesn't mean hes a reach. I think he's actually a pretty good prospect and he has a bunch of offers. This staff has offered many more questionable kids then this one.

Agree 100%. The PS article today indicates that Johnson has the following offers:
  • Syracuse
  • Nebraska
  • Virginia
  • Indiana
  • SMU
  • UTSA
  • South Alabama
  • North Texas [where he was previously committed]

Solid group of P5 offers -- not a reach at all.

OK I'll commit. ;)
I think it all depends on if they hold Shy's scholarship for him.

So if they do and we get Linton and Johnson tomorrow, that would not leave any room for a grad transfer OL, and that would surprise me

So if they do and we get Linton and Johnson tomorrow, that would not leave any room for a grad transfer OL, and that would surprise me
In that scenario there would need to be movement. If they don't hold a scholarship for Shy then no one else would need to leave.

No...LOL.

I read the title of the thread " 5 Guys , 3 Spots" right after having lunch at the restaurant and my first thought was that there was now three Syracuse locations. Lame attempt at humor.

Very lame

So where are those extra scholarships coming from? Even cordy being gone is not a foregone conclusion. Interesting.

So where are those extra scholarships coming from? Even cordy being gone is not a foregone conclusion. Interesting.
It means there are a few more leaving and they probably are not holding Shys' scholarship for him and Cordy is gone.

I know that I've posted this in other threads, but every single year there is attrition. Every year, there will be events that unfold that are unexpected [to some degree].

A player or two might decide that they don't want to play football anymore.

Some might decide to drop down a level in search of PT / an opportunity to start.

Someone might flunk out.

Someone might get injured and / or medically disqualified.

Somebody might opt to pursue a fifth-year transfer to head off in search of greener pastures.

The two things that seem to be universal constants are: unexpected stuff will happen every offseason, and the numbers always have a way of working themselves out.

I imagine a lot of one on one conversations will be taking place this week since the coaches have been on the road and focused on recruiting since the start of the spring semester. Would have thought an underclassman transferring out would have announced by now so they could start their year in residence with the spring semester and be eligible to play in any bowls their new team participates in. And with the exception of Cordy (and Berry?) there have been strong indications that all fifth year seniors intend to return.

I attended the taping of the ACC DN signing day special and it was interesting to hear Dino list several positions where we might be looking for help - OL, TE, LB and another safety all mentioned I believe.

I know that I've posted this in other threads, but every single year there is attrition. Every year, there will be events that unfold that are unexpected [to some degree].

A player or two might decide that they don't want to play football anymore.

Some might decide to drop down a level in search of PT / an opportunity to start.

Someone might flunk out.

Someone might get injured and / or medically disqualified.

Somebody might opt to pursue a fifth-year transfer to head off in search of greener pastures.

The two things that seem to be universal constants are: unexpected stuff will happen every offseason, and the numbers always have a way of working themselves out.

This. The fishes loaves discussion cracks me up b/c unless you had some crazy good inside sources you’d never be able know what the numbers will look like by he start of next season. Always have to assume attrition.

I imagine a lot of one on one conversations will be taking place this week since the coaches have been on the road and focused on recruiting since the start of the spring semester. Would have thought an underclassman transferring out would have announced by now so they could start their year in residence with the spring semester and be eligible to play in any bowls their new team participates in. And with the exception of Cordy (and Berry?) there have been strong indications that all fifth year seniors intend to return.

I attended the taping of the ACC DN signing day special and it was interesting to hear Dino list several positions where we might be looking for help - OL, TE, LB and another safety all mentioned I believe.

Berry? First I've heard of this...

It means there are a few more leaving and they probably are not holding Shys' scholarship for him and Cordy is gone.

not totally sure in regards to Shy, but no doubt that Cordy and a few others are leaving. If Dino says they have scholarships left, then they have scholarships left, and attrition is the only way for that to be the case. Now we wait and see who won't be coming back, and who we pick up. Grad transfers at OT and LB(especially if Shy isn't coming back) and the DL kid visiting this weekend seems like a good list.

I feel bad for Berry. Kid came in and put on some good weight and was pretty good. He just didn't get much run last year and doesn't seem likely this year. We have some guys that are playing really well ahead of him. I wouldn't be surprised if he left.

not totally sure in regards to Shy, but no doubt that Cordy and a few others are leaving. If Dino says they have scholarships left, then they have scholarships left, and attrition is the only way for that to be the case. Now we wait and see who won't be coming back, and who we pick up. Grad transfers at OT and LB(especially if Shy isn't coming back) and the DL kid visiting this weekend seems like a good list.
I have confidence in Shy to make it back... they just probably aren't holding his scholarship.

Shy will be eligible to return to Syracuse this summer. He is doing great in his classes and is working out and eating the way I want him to. I will be having him working out with a combine training instructor in the coming weeks to improve his speed. He has free tuition to any mass state school something we knew about thru his adoption but got approval for a couple weeks ago. He is dying to get back with his team mates and it’s killing him to see every picture they post. That said the scholarship situation and what I’ve seen in press conferences I am afraid returning to Syracuse may not be financially possible. We will see when the grades are final if the staff wants him back. He will need one class to graduate at Syracuse but the cost of one semester may be out of reach. It will be a stressful few months for sure.

Shy will be eligible to return to Syracuse this summer. He is doing great in his classes and is working out and eating the way I want him to. I will be having him working out with a combine training instructor in the coming weeks to improve his speed. He has free tuition to any mass state school something we knew about thru his adoption but got approval for a couple weeks ago. He is dying to get back with his team mates and it’s killing him to see every picture they post. That said the scholarship situation and what I’ve seen in press conferences I am afraid returning to Syracuse may not be financially possible. We will see when the grades are final if the staff wants him back. He will need one class to graduate at Syracuse but the cost of one semester may be out of reach. It will be a stressful few months for sure.
Hoping the best for the family Bam... Hope everything works out the way he family wants it to.

Well if Dino doesn’t save a scholly I will be pissed. If he is looking to keep this team a family, he has to save one. I could see if we didn’t need Shy but we do and bad. Glad he is doing good and has he even talked to the staff about his situatuation. He needs to talk to them personally and figure this thing out.see ya doon

Gosh darn it. Life as we all know isn't a straight line and often not fair. My heart goes out to you and your Son.
Im not telling you anytime you dont know but focus on what you can control and SU or no SU its going to work out for Shy. Keep positive and know that he is in my thoughts and prayers.

Thanks for your candid info as always Bam. I really hope it all works out and he can come back to SU

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DizzyNY

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom