5 guys, 3 spots? | Page 4 | Syracusefan.com

5 guys, 3 spots?

There are bound to be more dominoes toppling unexpectedly -- think: Gabe Horan.

So I'm sure these numbers will remain fluid through the summer.
Through the summer... Late departures would take grad transfers away, yes? Who do we still have targeted for GT's?

Last edited:
What other transfer offers do we have out there? Have to think one of the spots is going to an OT, but I only remember the south Alabama kid still being available/offered. Do we grab a TE, too? Do we find out if there are more departures soon?

yeah. the Alexander kid from S. Alabama is visiting in later March, we have a good chance of landing him. from there it depends on if we have other slots available. i would think a TE, LB and another OL would be the top three areas they would look at in the portal. if they have more room beyond the potential add of Alexander and Shy's spot is indeed held for him

We should see a roster before Spring Practice starts Sunday. I think that will be pretty indicative of who will be returning.

Barring the unforeseen.

yeah. the Alexander kid from S. Alabama is visiting in later March, we have a good chance of landing him. from there it depends on if we have other slots available. i would think a TE, LB and another OL would be the top three areas they would look at in the portal. if they have more room beyond the potential add of Alexander and Shy's spot is indeed held for him
Be nice to have more than 1 OL lined up, unless the staff thinks this kid is a lock. Call me crazy, but I'm not worried about LB, at all. Is the Alexander offer the only remaining offer out there for a GT? I dont recall a TE offer, and the staff knew about Horan a while ago.

Be nice to have more than 1 OL lined up, unless the staff thinks this kid is a lock. Call me crazy, but I'm not worried about LB, at all. Is the Alexander offer the only remaining offer out there for a GT? I dont recall a TE offer, and the staff knew about Horan a while ago.

I think at Babers's press conference in early February where he discussed the most recent crop of signees, Dino mentioned that the staff had a few more open scholarships and that they would look to bring in talent at OL, TE, and LB to bolster our roster.

I don't know who those players might be -- but I think that's why many posters point back to those positions as areas where the staff might be turning over rocks.

Thanks. I only remembered presser looking for GT OTs... Isn't it starting to get late, to not have some more of those guys offered?

In checking gradtransfertracker.com, the majority of transfers that transferred laterally, or up, for 2018 had found their new schools by now. Sure , some did later, generally by June 1... But there are less available.

Last edited:
I only remembered presser looking for GT OTs... Isn't it starting to get late, to not have some more of those guys offered?

No, because some of these players haven't graduated yet, or announced their intention to become grad transfers. We've already gotten involved with two who have -- one kid is visiting, the other signed with Florida State. Others will begin to shake free after spring practices, etc.

I only remembered presser looking for GT OTs... Isn't it starting to get late, to not have some more of those guys offered?
They could also be ok with the players they have now and perfer not to reach

I guess my concern is that there have only been 2 GTs that they offered/felt could contribute.. I know there's still time, but the pool is getting smaller, and we may need better players to become available. Then again, it could all be behind the scenes .

I mean it can also mean they are happy with the talent we have on the team and didn’t feel like there were really that many that could make an impact on the team

I guess my concern is that there have only been 2 GTs that they offered/felt could contribute.. I know there's still time, but the pool is getting smaller, and we may need better players to become available. Then again, it could all be behind the scenes .

I don't think there's any need to be concerned. If there's one thing Babers and his staff have consistently demonstrated, it is that they can identify and land talent.

They aren't going to reach -- no need to.

And we've had good luck with the transfers / fifth year transfers they HAVE pursued.

Checked gradtransfer.com for available OT, and TE .

OT's that started for their team, last year.

Ryan Alexander(South Alabama)
Drew Richmond(Tenn)

Injury: Justin Murphy(UCLA)

That's it.

2 guards
Parker Braun (GT)
RJ Proctor(Virginia)

TE
Tyler Mabry(Buffalo)

I'd say Alexander is definitely a priority.

No idea on Mabry, but he's a good player, and right down the road. ;-)

Checked gradtransfer.com for available OT, and TE .

OT's that started for their team, last year.

Ryan Alexander(South Alabama)
Drew Richmond(Tenn)

Injury: Justin Murphy(UCLA)

That's it.

2 guards
Parker Braun (GT)
RJ Proctor(Virginia)

TE
Tyler Mabry(Buffalo)

I'd say Alexander is definitely a priority.

No idea on Mabry, but he's a good player, and right down the road. ;-)
Or you could have just asked LeMoyneCuse ;)

Was curious as to the issue of transfers due to the Gunter "decommit" and found that someone within the coaching staff/recruiting staff was following the these guys (Twitter) that have yet to commit somewhere. This doesn't mean the parties are currently communicating but I can say that a majority of commits are followed by someone on the staff prior to commitment as it allows for Direct Messaging between the parties. Anyway, just thought it was relevant to your discussion.

Ryan Alexander - OL, Josh Imatorbhebhe - WR, Tyler Mabry - TE, Calvin Ashley - OL, Nasier Upshur - TE, Juwan Johnson - WR.

Of the above, I am hoping that Alexander commits on his visit to provide immediate OL help and would love to add Mabry (1st Team All MAC) who I think would be an instant plus to the offense.

Was curious as to the issue of transfers due to the Gunter "decommit" and found that someone within the coaching staff/recruiting staff was following the these guys (Twitter) that have yet to commit somewhere. This doesn't mean the parties are currently communicating but I can say that a majority of commits are followed by someone on the staff prior to commitment as it allows for Direct Messaging between the parties. Anyway, just thought it was relevant to your discussion.

Ryan Alexander - OL, Josh Imatorbhebhe - WR, Tyler Mabry - TE, Calvin Ashley - OL, Nasier Upshur - TE, Juwan Johnson - WR.

Of the above, I am hoping that Alexander commits on his visit to provide immediate OL help and would love to add Mabry (1st Team All MAC) who I think would be an instant plus to the offense.

I like the idea of trying to grab Upshur. He was recruited by Cuse out of high school too.

Ashley was a 5 star, #6 ranked ot. Jack Driscoll(2 star), UMass grad transfer, earned the RT over him at Auburn. Ashley filled in for injured Driscoll, one Game and struggled in pass pro. May become a great player, but he's going to have to sit a year.
Nasier Upshur. Mostly special teamer with 4 career receptions. Unless he graduated in 3, I don't think he could contribute this year, either .

If we had to wait a year, Ashley could be a better bet.

Good post!
Thank you for the politically-acceptable stalker skills. Very impressive.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DizzyNY

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom