6 OT Big East QF game from ‘09 against UConn... | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

6 OT Big East QF game from ‘09 against UConn...

The Flynn - Devendorf back court slightly better than what we have now.

LOL! I assume you forgot the sarcasm font. ;-)

But yeah... this isn't even close to one of our most talented teams, and yet we yearn for it. Smh.

Is it weird that i still get pissed at Paul Harris for missing so many gimmes? I’m yelling at my TV right now!!! :mad:
That power dribble of his was so unnecessary

Substitution pattern is interesting. Through regulation only used 7 guys. But oh so flexible: Jackson plays the 4 & 5, KO & Harris the 3 & 4, Andy the 2 & 3. Flynn the only 40 minute guy

7 guys has pretty much always been the high water mark of JB’s comfort zone.

I was at that game. I don't recall the Garden being that electric, for so long.
Interestingly, SU never led in OT until the 6th OT. Think about the heart that takes. Down each extra segment to the #4 team in the country, and battle back each time to tie it, then play again.
On of my all time basketball memories.

Great memories of that game. Tried to get tickets outside of MSG, but didn't want to pony up the $150 for a scalped ticket. See back then you thoughts the finals were a possibility, and wanted to save some money for the finals.

Ended up at a bar near MSG with a table of about 10 people. Bar was supposed to close down, but stayed open for all the overtimes. That was very cool of them. All the yelling and screaming. I had zero voice left at work the next day. Probably had a beer for every overtime due to the stress.

Other funny part. My brother was driving back to Cuse and expected to miss the game. He got home right when the overtimes started and saw all the drama!

Substitution pattern is interesting. Through regulation only used 7 guys. But oh so flexible: Jackson plays the 4 & 5, KO & Harris the 3 & 4, Andy the 2 & 3. Flynn the only 40 minute guy

I thought I saw Flynn sit in the first for at least a moment, with Andy and Devo up top?

Sanctions aren’t why our talent has gone downhill.
Look at this team. It wasn’t even close to 13 scholarship players.
1. Jonny Flynn
2. Eric Devendorf
3. Paul Harris
4. Arinze Onuaku
5. Andy Rautins
6. Rick Jackson
7. Kris Joseph
8. Kristoff Ongenaut
9. Mookie Jones

1 transfer for next year and then 3 scholarships for projects who never panned out or walkons.

Look at this roster.
Look at our roster now.
Our problems aren’t sanctions. That excuse is bullchit spin by the people on here who make excuses to shut people up.

Our program doesn’t get the talent it used too. That is on the coaching staff to recruit.

Sanctions aren’t why our talent has gone downhill.
Look at this team. It wasn’t even close to 13 scholarship players.
1. Jonny Flynn
2. Eric Devendorf
3. Paul Harris
4. Arinze Onuaku
5. Andy Rautins
6. Rick Jackson
7. Kris Joseph
8. Kristoff Ongenaut
9. Mookie Jones

1 transfer for next year and then 3 scholarships for projects who never panned out or walkons.

Look at this roster.
Look at our roster now.
Our problems aren’t sanctions. That excuse is bullchit spin by the people on here who make excuses to shut people up.

Our program doesn’t get the talent it used too. That is on the coaching staff to recruit.

not all of those kids were that good in HS. Jackson was a top 100-50 kid and Arinze was an after thought and viewed as a bit of a project. He played 1000x times better than his ranking. People were as down on Rautins as they are Boeheim. Rautins developed into +1000x his rankings to. Those two kids were barely recruited and both ended up 5th year seniors.

You had the perfect storm of two McDs guards and two inside guys who ended up could really play. (and both were big bodied bangers.)

you have to wonder though with the success of Arinze why we didn’t even bother to recruit his brother Chinanu Onuaku

Last edited:
not all of those kids were that good in HS. Jackson was a top 100-50 kid and Arinze was an after thought and viewed as a bit of a project. He played 1000x times better than his ranking. People were as down on Rautins as they are Boeheim. Rautins developed into +1000x his rankings to. Those two kids were barely recruited and both ended up 5th year seniors.

You had the perfect storm of two McDs guard and two inside guys who ended up could really play. (and both were big bodied bangers.)

you have to wonder though with the success of Arinze why we didn’t even bother to recruit his brother Chinanu Onuaku
I like Jim Boeheim as a coach.
I think he needs his assistant coaches to recruit better.
GMac gets crap but has been better at recruiting.
We need all 3 assistants to get better.

We need talent.

That was one of the greatest games of all time. Sucked to be on the losing end, but proud to be a part of it.

There is nothing like SU/UConn at the BET in the Garden. I hate you guys, but that's what makes it awesome. It felt like a heavyweight fight every single time.

Going to Greensboro feels like a Bantamweight sparring match.

You had the perfect storm of two McDs guards and two inside guys who ended up could really play. (and both were big bodied bangers.)

AO’s brother wanted to follow his own path.
No Syracuse interest either way.

I think enough time has passed, so this shouldn't be that inflammatory to discuss.

Apparently, the family was a little displeased with how Arinze's injury was handled at the end of his senior season, and that sentiment drove a wedge between the family and coaches. When the coaching staff kicked the tires with Chinanu early on, they were politely told that the younger brother wasn't interested in SU and wanted to blaze his own path, so the coaches said thank you and didn't waste their time on it anymore.

When he was playing at louisville, it got brought up a lot how our coaching staff dropped the ball by not recruiting Onuaku II -- but in actuality they hadn't overlooked him at all, they just knew it was a battle they couldn't win, so they didn't bother expending any resources on a pointless battle.