7 SU Coaches From 2001 On Detroit Lions' 2018 Staff | Syracusefan.com

7 SU Coaches From 2001 On Detroit Lions' 2018 Staff

Symphony Steve

All American
I'm rooting for 'em. Here's the list: Matt Patricia, PP, Brian Stewart, David Walker, Chris White, David Corrao, and Erik Kunttu.

Here's a quote:

""That Syracuse connection is really tight," Patricia told MLive. "In fact, at the combine, we'd always try to have a Syracuse night, and we'd have like 45 guys show up. We'd just get together and talk about stuff and maintain those connections, and that was important to us."

And here's the article:

The Lions will have at least 7 coaches from the 2001 Syracuse team. Here's why.

Tres cool!

I'm rooting for 'em. Here's the list: Matt Patricia, PP, Brian Stewart, David Walker, Chris White, David Corrao, and Erik Kunttu.

Here's a quote:

""That Syracuse connection is really tight," Patricia told MLive. "In fact, at the combine, we'd always try to have a Syracuse night, and we'd have like 45 guys show up. We'd just get together and talk about stuff and maintain those connections, and that was important to us."

And here's the article:

The Lions will have at least 7 coaches from the 2001 Syracuse team. Here's why.

Tres cool!

Wait, I was told with authority that Patricia's ties to Syracuse were minor.

New York Football Giants 2017 Title Quest Thread

But then again that's the same guy that Marrone was never going to get hired as a HC again.

Last edited:
Wait Coach Pasqualoni put together a coaching staff of quality? I'm shocked based on what i've read on here. If only Jake Crouthamel had held on for 3 more years. Maybe he could have righted so many wrongs that Gross created for this university. Gross forever will be the guy who destroyed SU football. Complete boob who lived off the success of Pete Carroll.

Wait Coach Pasqualoni put together a coaching staff of quality? I'm shocked based on what i've read on here. If only Jake Crouthamel had held on for 3 more years. Maybe he could have righted so many wrongs that Gross created for this university. Gross forever will be the guy who destroyed SU football. Complete boob who lived off the success of Pete Carroll.

That wasn't an AD-level decision

The school is still paying for it's failure to invest and TGD and TW1 caving to pressure and a panic move. A more rational transition probably would have avoided the extended disaster that the Grobian error crater has created.

That being said the staff was getting insular and weren't doing enough to adapt. As I understand it when some of those guys joined Orgeron at Mississippi they were shocked about how recruiting was being done in the 21st Century.

They should bring in Freeney and then they’re all set.

I think Patricia is going to do very well but obviously time will tell. I have always liked the guy

While the whole nostalgia thing of having all these coaches on my beloved Lions sideline is pretty cool, I have no idea how they will perform together as a group and just wish for the best. I'm not going to convince myself that this is the answer. The only place harder to win than Syracuse is Detroit. Well Cleveland then Detroit.

David Walker leaving Pitt to join them all in Detroit is pretty big news for us right now.

The school is still paying for it's failure to invest and TGD and TW1 caving to pressure and a panic move. A more rational transition probably would have avoided the extended disaster that the Grobian error crater has created.

That being said the staff was getting insular and weren't doing enough to adapt. As I understand it when some of those guys joined Orgeron at Mississippi they were shocked about how recruiting was being done in the 21st Century.

Marrone got us back on the path though.

But then we deff'd up the end game.

I'd like to think it won't happen again, even if the 87-98 era isn't possible here in today's landscape.