8 NCAA teams fall below the APR (surprise surprise one of them is UConn) | Syracusefan.com

8 NCAA teams fall below the APR (surprise surprise one of them is UConn)

Alsacs

Living Legend
http://espn.go.com/mens-college-bas...nt-teams-fall-graduation-standard-study-shows

Currently, teams scoring below a 925 APR can lose up to 10 percent of their scholarships. Teams can also be subject to penalties for poor academic performance over time.

Teams in this year's field that would be subject to NCAA-imposed sanctions that could keep them from postseason play are: Cal Poly (925), Coastal Carolina (921), North Carolina Central (903), Oklahoma State (928), Providence (915), Texas Southern (900), Connecticut (897) and Oregon (918).

Beginning with 2012-13 championships, teams must earn a minimum 900 four-year APR or a 930 average over the most recent two years to be eligible for NCAA championships.

It appears we are fine for now, and while JB could have used that 13th scholarship on a 5th year FA or JUCO it appears giving it Nolan Hart should help our APR for the future. Hopefully that Devo, Paul Harris season will come off the books soon and we won't be close to threshold.

If a player leaves early to go to the league, how does that affect APR?

Heck walk-on senior Russ DeRemer in his 4 years had only one grade that wasn't an A. If the scholarship was given for APR reasons, he was the sure bet.

If a player leaves early to go to the league, how does that affect APR?
If a kid leaves early, but finishes the academic semester out and leaves in good academic standing it doesn't hurt the university. The APR doesn't care if you leave early it cares that you are making academic progress. It helps if you graduate, but Kentucky is losing kids early every year, but their Kentucky tutors are getting them thru the season without a problem.

MCW finished the semester out last year after he declared thanks to his mom and that helped our APR. Jonny Flynn and Wes Johnson did the same thing. We need the Devo and Paul Harris season to go away as their killed our APR we lost 2 scholarships for that season years ago.

http://espn.go.com/mens-college-bas...nt-teams-fall-graduation-standard-study-shows

Currently, teams scoring below a 925 APR can lose up to 10 percent of their scholarships. Teams can also be subject to penalties for poor academic performance over time.

Teams in this year's field that would be subject to NCAA-imposed sanctions that could keep them from postseason play are: Cal Poly (925), Coastal Carolina (921), North Carolina Central (903), Oklahoma State (928), Providence (915), Texas Southern (900), Connecticut (897) and Oregon (918).

Beginning with 2012-13 championships, teams must earn a minimum 900 four-year APR or a 930 average over the most recent two years to be eligible for NCAA championships.

It appears we are fine for now, and while JB could have used that 13th scholarship on a 5th year FA or JUCO it appears giving it Nolan Hart should help our APR for the future. Hopefully that Devo, Paul Harris season will come off the books soon and we won't be close to threshold.

I think Ennis and Christmas are honor students. I thought I read a couple of articles along the way that they were scholar-athletes-of-the-week or something like that.

If a kid leaves early, but finishes the academic semester out and leaves in good academic standing it doesn't hurt the university. The APR doesn't care if you leave early it cares that you are making academic progress. It helps if you graduate, but Kentucky is losing kids early every year, but their Kentucky tutors are getting them thru the season without a problem.

MCW finished the semester out last year after he declared thanks to his mom and that helped our APR. Jonny Flynn and Wes Johnson did the same thing. We need the Devo and Paul Harris season to go away as their killed our APR we lost 2 scholarships for that season years ago.
Is it safe to assume Fab Melo also didn't leave in good academic standing?

I would think that would be a safe assumption. Considering he had not 1 but 2 academic suspensions.

Kids who leave without finishing up their academic work end up screwing their former teammates and the program as a whole. If players have NBA aspirations, many of those workouts etc take place during the academic year. Players need to be almost a semester ahead by taking summer classes like CJ did to graduate on time.

Alsacs said:

What kind of classes do you think they are taking in their Frosh year at KU? Is there a minimum core classes that they can take?

The APR is a ridiculous measure of academic "success", because it can be manipulated through a variety of means. It punishes schools who lose transfers (have to stay a year and have above a 2.6 not to penalize former school), you can inflate numbers by awarding scholarships to walk-ons, and gives bonus points if schools graduate former scholarship players. It hurts sports with smaller roster numbers like hoops as one lost point has a greater impact on the score than in a sport like football (it's a four-year cohort used). It's also easier for 1 and dones to meet NCAA requirements, which keeps Kentucky well out of trouble, and since the formula is skewed, the 925 number doesn't equate to any kind of true graduation success.

What it does is allow the NCAA to continue the facade that it cares about academics in the major revenue sports.

It all rather reminds me of the NCAA's drug policy. If a university doesn't have a written drug policy that's okay but if you have one and don't follow it then you're in trouble with the NCAA. So if a university doesn't have proper internal controls on course standards, that's okay with the NCAA but if players don't get high enough credits/grades, then the NCAA cares. if your university has standards, then having some issues would be the natural result - no or low standards - no issues.

it sure makes it easier for universities to rationalize not having a drug policy nor have course/ grade standards in order to keep a distance from the NCAA.

Personally when I see that a university is having issues keeping all their students "eligible" , I consider that a normal problem and one that is universal for non athletes too because there are standards. The transfer requirement of a 2.6 accum is just plain ridiculous.

When a university's college athletes are always pure - year in and year out- that's an aberration from the norm and heck more suspicious to me. Yet it's those institutions and coaches that are praised.

I thought that Kevin Ollie had fixed all of that for UConn.

What kind of classes do you think they are taking in their Frosh year at KU? Is there a minimum core classes that they can take?

I don't know what classes Wiggins and Embid are signed up for, but I highly doubt they are attending any of them.

I thought that Kevin Ollie had fixed all of that for UConn.

I'm not trying to defend Ollie, but the article says UConn reported a 1000 for the 12-13 score. The numbers being used by the article are through 11-12, which isn't on him.

If North Carolina had fake courses for Student Athletes, Kentucky with all their one and done probably does the same.

I would think that would be a safe assumption. Considering he had not 1 but 2 academic suspensions.

But Chuck's LOVED him. He has good standing there forever.

I wonder if Enosch Wolf left UConn in good standing...If Daniels leaves (and not in good standing) they might have a problem..

Wonder if schools have ever denied a transfer because of the academic requirement that would punish them?

It's amazing how much harm Devo has done to this program and he still thinks he can get a job on this staff. Unreal to me

Wonder if schools have ever denied a transfer because of the academic requirement that would punish them?

Nothing has been made public in that regard, but I would imagine it has played a part in where students have been given a release.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SYRtoBOS

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom