9-2 with Boeheim at the helm | Syracusefan.com

9-2 with Boeheim at the helm

RF2044

Living Legend
Pretty impressive record. I think in the dismal aftermath of the 4-5 Mike Hopkins run, it was easy to lose sight of the fact that we were playing pretty good ball prior to the accelerated Boeheim suspension. We were coming off a couple of impressive wins over ranked teams in the Atlantis tournament, and stubbed our toe at home against Wisconsin in a game we should have won in regulation but blew at the FT line. That was disappointing, but we were 6-1.

Then the NCAA allowed us to move up the suspension, and Hopkins took over under not ideal circumstances. First game is on the road against our arch rival. We blow numerous close games that we probably win most of the time. And suddenly we look like a team fast tracking toward the NIT.

But when JB came back, we had top 10 UNC on the ropes, and just ran out of gas. Then we blow out BC and Wake, and win against Duke on the road. Depleted Duke, sure, but never easy to win at Cameron.

I have to believe that the committee will factor / take into account JB's absence as the reason for some of our losses. And I believe we can do enough to squeeze into the tourney, and be a tough out that some team will be sick to have to play in the first round as an underseeded team.

I'm not suggesting by any means that we're a lock, but we damn sure look like the team that played in Atlantis and looked like we could tough out wins and beat teams than we did in the 9 games when JB was absent.

Am I incorrect in suggesting that some may have written the team off too early? The team with JB on the bench versus him serving the suspension plays at a totally different level of execution.

I can't see how the committee could ignore the suspension at this point. The results have been so night and day different that it's impossible to ignore.

why would the organization that essentially wants him out consider anything to allow his team into their tournament?

Because the "organization" is not the same thing as the NCAA selection committee.

Orangemen said:
I can't see how the committee could ignore the suspension at this point. The results have been so night and day different that it's impossible to ignore.

They are on record saying it will be a consideration. The record with JB is a tourney team,

you mean the selection committee that uses criteria given them by the NCAA?
If they are on record as saying it, then please forgive me for just assuming that the NCAA will find some reason to "help" Syracuse

I understand your point. And ESPN has the one talking head show the graphic a lot now. I hope SU can get to a point where this point is not needed. That our record and resume takes us out of bubble talk all by itself. I don't want to have to have Hopkins as an excuse, he is the head coach in waiting, the less said of his less than spectacular start the better.

Am I incorrect in suggesting that some may have written the team off too early? The team with JB on the bench versus him serving the suspension plays at a totally different level of execution.

No. No you are not. The rumors of their death have been greatly exaggerated, but after some of those losses they suffered, in particular SJU and Clemson, I can understand the grim outlook. Winning cures all, keep it up boys.

you mean the selection committee that uses criteria given them by the NCAA?
If they are on record as saying it, then please forgive me for just assuming that the NCAA will find some reason to "help" Syracuse

What criteria is given them by the NCAA?

Each NCAA committee operates independently, emphasizing different evaluative criteria depending on what that particular group rates as being more important. The criteria might be basically the same, but they aren't told what to do by the NCAA. They are volunteers from member institutions who select the field on behalf of the NCAA "organization."

We're cleared to play this year. If we do enough to qualify, we'll be in the field.

Getting to 7-7 after the Louisville game was my realistic hope before this game; now get to 8-6 after that game and we can split our last four and be in great shape.

I just think winning at Louisville is a very tall order for us but if we can win at Cameron, maybe we can win at that chamber of horrors in Kentucky.

It's a house of cards. We have five guys who can make winning plays, like they did last night and against TAMU and UCONN. Each can also be pretty shaky in his own way, but it just takes a few strong plays down the stretch to cancel that out and come up with a win.

Boeheim's got them playing their best defensive basketball of the year right now, they get a short rest this week. There's a real opportunity to get a decent seed for the ACC and make a March run. Got to get better every game and get the supporting cast more comfortable.

It's a house of cards. We have five guys who can make winning plays, like they did last night and against TAMU and UCONN. Each can also be pretty shaky in his own way, but it just takes a few strong plays down the stretch to cancel that out and come up with a win.

Boeheim's got them playing their best defensive basketball of the year right now, they get a short rest this week. There's a real opportunity to get a decent seed for the ACC and make a March run. Got to get better every game and get the supporting cast more comfortable.

Agreed. This year, we need a full team effort every game to claw out wins. I'm encouraged by what we've seen these past four games--three wins, and we took a top 5 caliber team down to the wire before running out of gas the last 3 minutes.

Would love to see us knock off UVa on the road to complete this southern road trip...

Def will be a consideration if we keep it up. Still 11 to go however, but it is certainly a positive thing that ESPN keeps making a point of the night & day difference in our records and the way the team has played. Seth Greenberg using it as a personal crusade doesn't hurt as well. Now let's just prove him correct...

Agreed. This year, we need a full team effort every game to claw out wins. I'm encouraged by what we've seen these past four games--three wins, and we took a top 5 caliber team down to the wire before running out of gas the last 3 minutes.

Would love to see us knock off UVa on the road to complete this southern road trip...

if we beat uva on saturday we can start talking about our seeding instead of being on the bubble.

uconn, a&m neutral
duke, virvinia road

not many teams have 4 wins as good as those.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vegasnick

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom