9 game schedule when SU/Pitt join | Syracusefan.com

9 game schedule when SU/Pitt join

orange79

Internet Sleuth
McMurphy of CBS Sports tweets: Swofford: 9 game ACC schedule when Pitt/SU join; Atlantic will have 5 home gms in odd yrs; Coastal 5 home games in even yrs

Apologies if already posted.

McMurphy of CBS Sports tweets: Swofford: 9 game ACC schedule when Pitt/SU join; Atlantic will have 5 home gms in odd yrs; Coastal 5 home games in even yrs

Apologies if already posted.

That's good news. That means in 2013 we probably will not again have just 5 homes games total.

So that leaves us with 3 OOC games.We have gone from needing 5 OOC opponents to needing 3.

We have a 4 year series with Notre Dame starting in 2014. So that leaves 2 OOC games needed in those years. (14, 15, 16 or 17)

Not a lot of flexibility there and almost no opportunity to play Big East schools.

So that leaves us with 3 OOC games.We have gone from needing 5 OOC opponents to needing 3.

We have a 4 year series with Notre Dame starting in 2014. So that leaves 2 OOC games needed in those years. (14, 15, 16 or 17)

Not a lot of flexibility there and almost no opportunity to play Big East schools.

We have Navy scheduled for 2015 and 2017 ... assuming that they don't kill the series to accomodate their BE schedule.

One of the 3 OOC games will always be a cupcake. Maybe two. I can't see SU playing 11 BCS teams every season.

Really we have no room for any OOC games. There will always be a 1AA. So we have 10 games in the bag every year. I would like to see SU play a weak to mid level non BCS team every year and then the last game a BCS level team (ND is already scheduled for quite a bit of those).

Speaking of ND they will start to have trouble scheduling soon. All the big 5 conferences will have 9 games set in stone leaving only 3 OOC. Not many games especially in November for ND. That plus the possible conf champ Final Four and the implosion of the BE could force their hand.

I'd hope we'd be able to find a way to play Buffalo, Cornell or Colgate every year.

That is OR, not and. I'm not advocating we play all three every year so no need to hyperventilate.

Good.

We'll play 7-8 games in the northeast each year -- division home schedule in Syracuse (3 games), presumably they split up BC/Maryland on our schedule so 1 of them away each year (1), OOC home games (assuming 2), cross-division home games, including alternating w/Pitt (1-2).

We don't need to play anyone in the Big East, we'll be plenty "eastern" enough.

I sent SU a lead on some BCS and high mid-majors needing some games...they were appreciative. If we land any of these games they would be attractive for the Carrier Dome.

I'd hope we'd be able to find a way to play Buffalo, Cornell or Colgate every year.

That is OR, not and. I'm not advocating we play all three every year so no need to hyperventilate.

Ivies don't play against FBS teams.

Really we have no room for any OOC games. There will always be a 1AA. So we have 10 games in the bag every year. I would like to see SU play a weak to mid level non BCS team every year and then the last game a BCS level team (ND is already scheduled for quite a bit of those).

Speaking of ND they will start to have trouble scheduling soon. All the big 5 conferences will have 9 games set in stone leaving only 3 OOC. Not many games especially in November for ND. That plus the possible conf champ Final Four and the implosion of the BE could force their hand.

Somehow I think many of these schools will make room on their schedule --- even in Nov -- to play Notre Dame. The gate revenue on home games and the TV exposure on home and away games are very attractive.

This is yet another "the thing that forces ND to join a conference" (although it is more imaginative than most). I have always believed that rooting for something to force ND into a conference is suicidal if you are not in the conference that ND eventually joins.

If they do join a conference it will be the Big 10 --- IMHO --- and that that makes the Big 10 more attractive and that drains TV coverage, audience and money away from the other conferences. It's a zero sum game as the audience for TV football on Saturday is relatively inelastic.

I'm really hoping that the 9 game conf schedule will eventually squeeze out the 1AAs altogether. The Pac 12 has been playing 9 game schedules for awhile, and if I recall (I remember looking this up once) you rarely see a 1AA on their schedules.

Having to schedule 4 or 5 OOC games makes it understandable that you have to do that. But not with 3, especially if everyone is only looking for 3 OOC now.

We should be looking to Buffalo or, more attractively, Army to fill that void. Games we should win, in theory. Keeps us in NYS.

So for 2013, we will have 5 ACC home games, 4 ACC road games, 1 neutral game against PSU, 1 road game against Northwestern, and then TBD (home)? Scheduling will be such an easier job for the athletic department.

I'm really hoping that the 9 game conf schedule will eventually squeeze out the 1AAs altogether. The Pac 12 has been playing 9 game schedules for awhile, and if I recall (I remember looking this up once) you rarely see a 1AA on their schedules.

Having to schedule 4 or 5 OOC games makes it understandable that you have to do that. But not with 3, especially if everyone is only looking for 3 OOC now.

We should be looking to Buffalo or, more attractively, Army to fill that void. Games we should win, in theory. Keeps us in NYS.

So for 2013, we will have 5 ACC home games, 4 ACC road games, 1 neutral game against PSU, 1 road game against Northwestern, and then TBD (home)? Scheduling will be such an easier job for the athletic department.

I agree. Army and Buffalo would be great as staples of the SU schedule. We better start talking to Army as they may have a bunch of suitors. Since our dance card is almost full and BC won't play UConn, Army would theoretically be high on their list of desired OOC opponents. A welcome respite from trips to San Diego, Boise, Dallas and Houston.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom