A changing perception of SU football? | Syracusefan.com

A changing perception of SU football?

boog7

Scout Team
A 4th grader dreams of playing QB for "Penn State or Syracuse." Does this A) represent the resurgence of SU football or B) the impact of Dr. Gross' intense marketing of the brand and calling Syracuse "New York's college team" or C) just one kid's particular goal?

My guess is that A & B have combined to help create C. The hope is that this kid's dream is the dream of many more kids his age in the region. and eventually outside it (success in the ACC would certainly help w/ that).

I don't really think its an indicator of anything, he just lives in the area. And he's 10.

That's a better step then what's his name from Rutgers that said in the article he never considered Syracuse even though he lives in Binghamton (area).

For the life of me I will never understand why most people from Binghamton who are sports fans don't give a rats ass wbout Syracuse football and basketball and many of them actually despise it if they are bigger sports fans, really really strange. ( Notre Dame and Penn St country) Obviously, my sample pool is about 25-30 people that I have come in contact with but it just seems odd

For the life of me I will never understand why most people from Binghamton who are sports fans don't give a rats ass wbout Syracuse football and basketball and many of them actually despise it if they are bigger sports fans, really really strange. ( Notre Dame and Penn St country) Obviously, my sample pool is about 25-30 people that I have come in contact with but it just seems odd
I came from there and grew up rooting for Syracuse. I really don't see it as much of a Penn State place unless you go to the boonies of the county or near the PA border. Those people are weird anyways.

What amazes me in Binghamton is how many people root for Syracuse in hoops...and ND or Penn State in football. I can understand the following for Penn State - lots of local businesses hire PSU grads so theres's plenty of alumni around...but the split fandom is weird.

I do think that the perception high school kids have of Syracuse is changing, but its going to require a few more winning season before the stench of the last decade is washed away.

What amazes ME is how they get all that cheesy flavor in a Cheez-It cracker!

But seriously, folks. One of my buddies and roommate for one year was from Endicott, and he and his family rooted for Syracuse. I guess that doesn't really help anyone's argument, I really just wanted to make that lame Cheez-It joke while staying on topic.

What amazes me in Binghamton is how many people root for Syracuse in hoops...and ND or Penn State in football. I can understand the following for Penn State - lots of local businesses hire PSU grads so theres's plenty of alumni around...but the split fandom is weird.

I do think that the perception high school kids have of Syracuse is changing, but its going to require a few more winning season before the stench of the last decade is washed away.

Like Nirchi's, Ponderosa, and Wegman's.

What amazes me in Binghamton is how many people root for Syracuse in hoops...and ND or Penn State in football. I can understand the following for Penn State - lots of local businesses hire PSU grads so theres's plenty of alumni around...

That just means they are a bunch of front runners

a little OT, but in terms of perception: are we at a point where "any news is good news"? a solid bowl season last year, switch to acc, and a schedule through the rest of the season that (injuries willing) looks like it has potential to offer 4 or 5 more wins (rutgers, tulane, uconn *though they did just name a starting qb 4 weeks in*, louisville... and could steal one other if the bye week is good to us) ... do headlines like the infamous PAT call serve just to keep us in the news? (we did win after all) just for the sake of keeping people talking about us?

Like Nirchi's, Ponderosa, and Wegman's.

And McDonalds. Pretty sure that Penn State grads all end up in the food industry; they do make some kick-ass ice cream there...

10 years old is when I got hooked on Cuse despite living in "Lion Country".

As a PA resident though, I could get my 4 year PSU degree for less than 1 year at Syracuse, So if I was paying I wouldnt be going to where I wanted.

I don't really think its an indicator of anything, he just lives in the area. And he's 10.

Define "area." If this kid lives in CNY then maybe it isn't indicative of anything out of the norm. But if this young fella lives in NJ or in the NYC metropolitan area, I think it does demonstrate a positive perception change of the program. And if that's the case, I guess the next question would be is it wide spread? And possibly growing?

I can say this: I live in the city and by far, I see more Syracuse apparel than any other college team w/ the exception of maybe Notre Dame and of course, SJU. The branding and marketing seems to be working.

Nirchis should be commended for their breakfast pizza though, solid

Agreed. Nirchi's is tremendous. They couldn't do it without you, Penn State. *applause*