A Couple of Nits to Pick...... | Syracusefan.com

A Couple of Nits to Pick......

newmexicuse

All Conference
our guys played with tremendous heart. They hung tough under Nova's pressure in the second half. As many others pointed out, there were innumerable bad calls by the rfes, but the bottom line is notwithstanding that the game was our for the taking & we did not get the job done.

I have a few nits to pick:

1. Start of the second half - I did not want McC out there w three fouls. Roberson was outplaying him anyways & deserved the 2nd half start.

2. At 69 - 64, all we need to do was not give up a trey - guard the friggin 3 point line. Instead Cooney dropped down low to help out & voila we are eating a trey.

3. At 69 - 67 - the imfamous inbound play. They had us well covered - no timeouts. One poster put the blame on Rak, but that was a tough catch. In that situation - GO OVER THE TOP. Even if we turn the ball over they are 80 feet away w less than 10 secs on the clock & maybe we even get a breakaway to ice the game.

our guys played with tremendous heart. They hung tough under Nova's pressure in the second half. As many others pointed out, there were innumerable bad calls by the rfes, but the bottom line is notwithstanding that the game was our for the taking & we did not get the job done.

1. Start of the second half - I did not want McC out there w three fouls. Roberson was outplaying him anyways & deserved the 2nd half start.

2. At 69 - 64, all we need to do was not give up a trey - guard the friggin 3 point line. Instead Cooney dropped down low to help out & voila we are eating a trey.

3. At 69 - 67 - the imfamous inbound play. They had us well covered - no timeouts. One poster put the blame on Rak, but that was a tough catch. In that situation - GO OVER THE TOP. Even if we turn the ball over they are 80 feet away w less than 10 secs on the clock & maybe we even get a breakaway to ice the game.

The guards chasing too far down low cost us against Michigan as well.

I don't know about the tremendous heart/hung tough part - a couple of our guards kind of collapsed in the second half imo. That hurt, not as much as the officiating, but it hurt.

The guards chasing too far down low cost us against Michigan as well.

I don't know about the tremendous heart/hung tough part - a couple of our guards kind of collapsed in the second half imo. That hurt, not as much as the officiating, but it hurt.
Kalebs missed 3 and g's missed ft were killers too. I cannot recall one time where we've gone long on the inbounds.

When they made the shot to get with in two points I couldn't understand why we took our time to get the ball and inbound it? We gave them 2-3 seconds to set up their defense. We should have grabbed it and passed it in quickly to any open player since Nova would have had to foul instantly. Instead one of our players waits for another to inbound the ball.

Kalebs missed 3 and g's missed ft were killers too. I cannot recall one time where we've gone long on the inbounds.

Well, I believe the guards played 40 mins each?

unrealistic

Per Point 3--I think if we had a timeout left (the one G blew) that would have been a play to set up in a timeout. On the fly that isn't something to execute easily.

Per Point 3--I think if we had a timeout left (the one G blew) that would have been a play to set up in a timeout. On the fly that isn't something to execute easily.

I'm not sure that he blew it. He didn't throw the ball inbounds to McCullough--who is only shooting 53% from the line, and had just missed one. So instead of passing in to CMac, Gbinije used a timeout there. At the time, I thought it was an interesting strategy--one that showed that Gbinije understood the game situation.

But we sure could have used it at the end.

I'm not sure that he blew it. He didn't throw the ball inbounds to McCullough--who is only shooting 53% from the line, and had just missed one. So instead of passing in to CMac, Gbinije used a timeout there. At the time, I thought it was an interesting strategy--one that showed that Gbinije understood the game situation.

But we sure could have used it at the end.
he had cooney come right to him in front of his face...that was who I was yelling at my television for him to pass it to.

he had cooney come right to him in front of his face...that was who I was yelling at my television for him to pass it to.

I'd need to go back and watch -- in real time, it looked like Cooney was covered and there wasn't a good passing angle. But again, that was several hours ago and I only watched the play during the live telecast.

I'd need to go back and watch -- in real time, it looked like Cooney was covered and there wasn't a good passing angle. But again, that was several hours ago and I only watched the play during the live telecast.
if i remember correctly, it seemed like cooney had the guy on his back and if the ball was thrown in front he would have been able to catch it. I could be wrong tho

if i remember correctly, it seemed like cooney had the guy on his back and if the ball was thrown in front he would have been able to catch it. I could be wrong tho

Same here--could be mis-remembering it. I thought it was a "smart" play [albeit, a dangerous one, since it used our last TO] on Gbinije's part, but honestly I'd need to rewatch to confirm what I saw earlier [or more likely, see what I missed].

Good points. Re #1 - The real problem with McC was letting him pick up the 3rd foul late in the first half. You have to save a guy after 2 fouls in the 1st half. Otherwise he gets the 4th early in the 2nd half and he sits almost the rest of the game. Don't know why JB lets guys get 3 in the first half. Re #2 - Up 5 you can't give up a trey. If you over play the line and just give up 2's they need 3 possessions not 2. We seem to do a very poor job in that situation. Did the same thing at Michigan.

Good points. Re #1 - The real problem with McC was letting him pick up the 3rd foul late in the first half. You have to save a guy after 2 fouls in the 1st half. Otherwise he gets the 4th early in the 2nd half and he sits almost the rest of the game. Don't know why JB lets guys get 3 in the first half. Re #2 - Up 5 you can't give up a trey. If you over play the line and just give up 2's they need 3 possessions not 2. We seem to do a very poor job in that situation. Did the same thing at Michigan.

No offense to you, Mad, but I think more importantly that the players have to be smarter earlier in the game and stop picking up stupid fouls. How many times does this same scenario have to play out before the players understand? It's a very simple idea" you can always get a basket or the ball back, but you can never get a foul back.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SYRtoBOS

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom