Game rewatch observations | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Game rewatch observations

I just didnt see Mcdonald fighting off blocks at all. If your gonna take on man up u gotta strike the sht outta that guy coming at u and he didnt do that much at all. He might wanna dipdown and rip bye the olinemen like michigan st used too with their backers.
Agreed

A lot of good stuff- some things/ notes that really stood out for me.

1- Ohio was well coached, physical and had good team speed. They played with an edge about them on both sides that was not something you see from a team coming in for a paycheck. They had a gameplan and that seemed to be focused on challenging our new staff with many different looks. I don’t know if they win 6 plus games or have a down year but it sure felt more like a bowl quality MAC team even with so many new pieces.

2- I won’t re hash the third down stats and tfls but the defense made a lot of plays that ensured control of the game despite not getting but one call of the many uncalled infractions Ohio got away with that should have put them in early down holes.

- first drive a 5 yd tfl to force a fg in the red zone

- second drive two tfls and a sack after Ohio got first and goal to force a second fg

-third drive stiffened up despite a bogus roughing the kicker penalty ( just an awful call) to shut them down twice and give the ball back after we took the lead.

-fourth drive once again made plays defending inside our 10 yard line to force another fg. Red zone defending was really good.

-7th drive after we went up 24-16, we did a good job baiting them into going through the air, as did the fact it was clear their defense wasn’t going to be able to shut down our passing attack. Forced a 3 and out

- 8th drive another really good stand / 3 and out to hand the ball back to McCord who then put the nail in the coffin for the most part going up 38-16

- 10th drive got great pressure up the gut to get the pick. Even with Ohio driving there was not a sense of concern.

- besides the safety play that’s been discussed at length- re watching it’s very noticeable that our DTs got a lot of penetration but were not shedding blocks to go after the ball. Hopefully correctable all the way around. Clean up the issues that will be obvious on film and hopefully things improve a lot on that side.

3 - So much to like on offense and with that the game plan seemed pretty basic- only saw a few wrinkles here and there and some nice plays made by Kyle and a number of wideouts. I’m curious to see how often this WR core can win 1 v 1 as the competition level steps up.

4- After a re watch I felt a lot better despite the many areas that need to be cleaned up. I think this was a much better game to start the year with vs a bottom feeder FBS program or FCS program. Excited to see how this staff adjusts both personnel wise and tactically. Sure hope Marlowes season isn’t over- the impact there very much a concern and a big tbd.
Yep. I felt a lot better too. I think it’s because I realized that we played a really good opponent, had an entirely new coaching staff, got hosed by the officials, and still came out on top. And it was apparent that on offense we are going to be near unstoppable. Hopefully we can make some good adjustments in defense.

Yep. I felt a lot better too. I think it’s because I realized that we played a really good opponent, had an entirely new coaching staff, got hosed by the officials, and still came out on top. And it was apparent that on offense we are going to be near unstoppable. Hopefully we can make some good adjustments in defense.
I think it’s fan bias at play when we declare a mac team a “really good opponent” after week 1. Could they be? Sure. But it’s also equally likely that they are very mediocre given their attrition. Remember how we pumped up Maryland after that 2019 embarrassment and they proceeded to lay an egg?

lets see how Ohio handles S. Ala this week first. They are not even favored at home in that game.

I think it’s fan bias at play when we declare a mac team a “really good opponent” after week 1. Could they be? Sure. But it’s also equally likely that they are very mediocre given their attrition. Remember how we pumped up Maryland after that 2019 embarrassment and they proceeded to lay an egg?

But we also had that same attrition

I think that something we forgot

Now why did you have to go and bring that up?;)

I should amend my post to say a really well coached team. I agree that we don’t yet know how good they are.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Alan.Oversl

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom