A couple of quick takes | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

A couple of quick takes

i was happy as hell when dajuan picked the cuse over the cats. but my expectations are somewhat tempered given his history here. can he stay healthy ? and he didn't exactly dominate even when he was. DUKE has 3 #1 recruiting in a row.
coach K has evidently adapted to the one and done model. and that is who we are fighting now. we need more beef.

On Coleman, I think it's entirely possible that A) he wasn't playing at a great level of high school competition (though with all the AAU people play that's much less of an issue than the second thing) and B) he just isn't physically the player he was coming out of high school; the injuries have just done him in. It's his first game in 2 years, I'm not writing the guy off yet, but I think that's definitely in play here.

I'm all for playing Lydon more at the 5. It's going to be an issue defensively against some teams, no question about it, but it also might be our best option. We're going to have to spread the court, open driving lanes, and make 3's. I'm also in on Kaleb getting more minutes at the expense of Cooney, maybe. Kaleb/G/Mal/Tyler/Tyler puts multiple drivers on the court and still has some length. JB is going to have to experiment.

Chino surpassed everything I was hoping for; but even saying that, he fouled out against Lehigh in 15 minutes. So I don't see him playing major minutes, but it's possible he can give 6-8 on an every game basis.

Agree with all of this basically. However, I guess I'd like to see Coleman at least get the opportunity to post up, carve out space, and score on the blocks at least a few times when he's in there.

I liked what Lydon did a lot. I'd like to see some high-low stuff with him and Roberson though. I realize we're not going to be a pound it inside team, but we need some balance.

Agree with all of this basically. However, I guess I'd like to see Coleman at least get the opportunity to post up, carve out space, and score on the blocks at least a few times when he's in there.

I liked what Lydon did a lot. I'd like to see some high-low stuff with him and Roberson though. I realize we're not going to be a pound it inside team, but we need some balance.

I'm not disagreeing with your main points. If Coleman is to play, he has to get the ball down low.

Our starting PF was a high recruit that's athletic and was said to possess solid offensive potential. He averaged close to 10 ppg as a sophomore even while still being pretty raw. 12-14 ppg this year would seem to be a reasonable expectation.

Our starting C was a blue chip recruit that the best recruiting team(UK) in the nation wanted. Obviously the injuries slowed him and he's rusty, but he's still a McDonald's AA recruit with great strength and the potential to finish around the basket.

I guess I don't see why we're apparently in a position where we can't score inside to where we don't even pass the ball to anyone that's not lined up around the arc. Why are our highly recruited junior and 4th year junior post players not capable of getting us 10-12 point a game each?

We had size and athleticism advantages all over the court last night, and all we did was launch. We played a style of ball that overmatched teams often do against us.
When the dust settles those two will each deliver about 10 ppg this season. Last night was an anomoly, with Coleman in early foul trouble, Roberson seemingly not himself, and the perimeter shooters trying out their new longer leashes. JB will certainly make adjustments to his offensive strategies as the season progresses and the opponents change.

When the dust settles those two will each deliver about 10 ppg this season. Last night was an anomoly, with Coleman in early foul trouble, Roberson seemingly not himself, and the perimeter shooters trying out their new longer leashes. JB will certainly make adjustments to his offensive strategies as the season progresses and the opponents change.

I agree. First game, only been practicing a few weeks, long season. I agree that adjustments will be made.

It was pretty alarming and jarring to watch last night though. The positive is I think we have more pieces overall that have offensive talent this year than the last few years, so there is potential to get a lot better on that end.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cusethunder

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom