A couple questions on conference expansion | Syracusefan.com

A couple questions on conference expansion

buffalorange

2nd String
It is interesting following the speculation on conference expansion and what might happen with SU. What happens to those schools who do not become part of a super conference. For example, where does a school such as UConn go if not invited by a "major" conference? Does it become a MAC school? Or drop to FCS level?

We certainly worry about Syracuse first, but does dropping schools from the big boy conferences improve college football?

And, of course, the all important question...Does Notre Dame stay independent through another round of major conference expansion/realignment?;)

We certainly worry about Syracuse first, but does dropping schools from the big boy conferences improve college football?

I think there are a lot of "sports fans" out there -- not necessarily college football fans -- who think that a 64 team Division 1 would be ideal. Only the major players, four conferences, Texas, Michigan, Ohio State, Florida, ad nauseum. As an SU fan, and as a long-time CFB fan, I think that would be a shame. To simply jettison 56 teams who want to compete at the highest level is not good for the sport. It's only good to line the pockets of the big boys.

If you ultimately end up with 6 superconferences of 16 teams, you more or less are including all current 1A schools anyway. That's probably not going to happen, 5 or possibly four conferences is much more likely. But, I've wondered the same thing. Where does Iowa State go? Some schools are likely to be SOL.

I would think you have to be careful leaving out schools. Especially state schools.

If a state school stands to lose $17M per year, the politicos will definitely get involved, probably in Washington if need be.

This endless pursuit of money is not wrong, but there may be some issues for these not for profit institutions if teams get left out.