A few position battles | Syracusefan.com

A few position battles

LeMoyneCuse

All American
I haven't seen this posted yet, so I'm passing it along. I was told by someone in the know that Raupers has beaten out Fisher for the punting job.

Also, Goggins will be the starting NT, with Crume backing him up. Boatman is now a defensive tackle.

I find it frustrating that Marrone clearly stated that either of the Punters would be fine and he would have confidence in them to do the job effectively. Then why not put the true freshman who is on scholarship do the duties and live with the results. I just think we would be in a much better situation for the future in knowing that we have a guy with seasoning and has been in the pressure situation.

And to be honest Raupers didnt show much of a leg at all when he was on the team a year ago.

Anyone else know anything about the competition between Lynch and Vaughnan? Is there any chance that after 5 games that Lynch takes over or is it really Vaughnan way in front?

I really like the fact that Marrone put Anderson ahead of Lyn, shows us some confidence that he has with his secondary...also when they go into there OKIE package, who are the 5 DB's?

During the Ernie Davis scrimmage it appeared that both punters were getting the same distance but Raupers appeared to get the punts off a little quicker than Fisher. That may have played a factor in HCDM decision.

Thanks again, I wasnt able to attend and I guess that is one of the key things...I remember when Casullo was first hired he said he had to work with Rob Long on taking a two steps instead of a three step and then also working on the fast twitch muscle to get the ball off faster...hopefully they redshirt Fisher that we can have 4 yrs out of him!

The punting situation will be an ongoing battle. I do not see Raupers holding the spot for the entire season. Thats just my honest opinion.

I find it frustrating that Marrone clearly stated that either of the Punters would be fine and he would have confidence in them to do the job effectively. Then why not put the true freshman who is on scholarship do the duties and live with the results. I just think we would be in a much better situation for the future in knowing that we have a guy with seasoning and has been in the pressure situation.

And to be honest Raupers didnt show much of a leg at all when he was on the team a year ago.

Anyone else know anything about the competition between Lynch and Vaughnan? Is there any chance that after 5 games that Lynch takes over or is it really Vaughnan way in front?

I really like the fact that Marrone put Anderson ahead of Lyn, shows us some confidence that he has with his secondary...also when they go into there OKIE package, who are the 5 DB's?

I think your questions regarding the punting job are somewhat answered in the rest of your post. By the looks of it Marrone has decided that, when appropriate, he is going with older guys who are good enough to do the job, but less likely to make errors than the higher upside guys. I think this is a good strategy. With the exception of the USC game we don't need the majority of the youngsters to win any games in the first half of the season. Let the more experienced guys go out and do their jobs, and when the bulk of Big East play roles around, the dynamic young guns will be ready to replace those who may be injured or under-performing. As far as the punting job more specifically, just because Raupers isn't on scholarship doesn't mean he can't stick around for an entire career.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DizzyNY

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom