A great night | Syracusefan.com

A great night

SWC75

Bored Historian
John Saunders on ESPN's Sports Reporters just said that if we had a playoff in college football, we wouldn't have a weekend like we just had with Oklahoma State, then Clemson, then Oregon, then Oklahoma going down. With a playoff they would all have just been battling for seeding and might expect some rematches next month.

It seems to me that baseball had a night like that alte in the regualr season where the eventual champion Cardinals completed their drive to make the playoffs, the Red Sox got eliminated and a couple of otther games mattered as well. They called it the greatest regular season night in baseball hsitory. And baseball has a playoff.

And what will we get if the favorites win out? An LSU-Alabama rematch. I guess their regular season game was meaningless.

What if Arkansas beats LSU? Would the Tigers be eliminated on the rule that whoever loses first laughs last while Arkansas plays Alabama for the title, a rematch of a 38-14 regular season game? What if LSU beats Arkansas loses to Georgia while Oklahoma State beats Oklahoma? What do we get then? Aalalbama vs. Oklahoma State- or Stanford- while LSU watches on TV?

John Saunders is a complete moron ... and I stand by that statement ... the Sports Reporters is a complete joke, its more like a sounding board for a bunch of jokers no one takes seriously. Lupika makes me want to vomit at times and don't even get me started on Rhoden ... the only guys I could ever stand in that group would be Bob Ryan and Mitch Album. If you have an 8 team playoff you still have a ton of teams battling just to gain entry ... heck look how hard it is to get into the BCS ... a tourney would be no different ... Saunders is best served keeping his thoughts to himself.

I would assume that if we had an 8 team playoff that Oklahoma, Clemson, and Oregon just got bounced from it

Right now playoff would be
LSU
Bama
Ark
Stanford
Osu
VT
BSU
Houston

Last week would have been
LSU
OSU
Bama
Oregon
Oklahoma
Arkansas
Clemson
Stanford

The excitement of the weekend (which I don't feel anymore) would pale in comparison to the excitement of 3 weekends of CFB playoffs.

Right now playoff would be
LSU
Bama
Ark
Stanford
Osu
VT
BSU
Houston

Last week would have been
LSU
OSU
Bama
Oregon
Oklahoma
Arkansas
Clemson
Stanford
If we had a playoff i believe right now it would look like this:
LSU
Bama
Ark
Stanford
Okie St
VaTech
Wisconsin
Some Big East School

If we had a playoff i believe right now it would look like this:
LSU
Bama
Ark
Stanford
Okie St
VaTech
Wisconsin
Some Big East School

Why a Big East school? That is the beauty of the playoff system, you wouldn't need to invite teams that don't deserve to be in a big bowl game. The top 6 0r 8, whatever is your thing play in the playoff.

Why a Big East school? That is the beauty of the playoff system, you wouldn't need to invite teams that don't deserve to be in a big bowl game. The top 6 0r 8, whatever is your thing play in the playoff.

Because we are a society of pantywaists that feel the need to include everyone in everything so as not to hurt feelings.

Seattle made the NFL playoffs with a 7-9 record when they won their division. Not sure they deserved it, but they won their "pod" and got in.

I also think people that like the idea of taking the top 8 regardless of conference are missing a HUGE point. There would be absolutely no incentive for top team to play any tough non-conference games. If you're in the top 10, load up on cupcakes and just worry about your ranking. That means there will be more garbage games, and it will be harder for a surprise team to break through since there would be such a priority on holding position for top teams through weak sauce scheduling.

Sounds great in theory. Would be a mess.

Seattle made the NFL playoffs with a 7-9 record when they won their division. Not sure they deserved it, but they won their "pod" and got in.

I also think people that like the idea of taking the top 8 regardless of conference are missing a HUGE point. There would be absolutely no incentive for top team to play any tough non-conference games. If you're in the top 10, load up on cupcakes and just worry about your ranking. That means there will be more garbage games, and it will be harder for a surprise team to break through since there would be such a priority on holding position for top teams through weak sauce scheduling.

Um have you looked at a bulk of the schedules now? So that means you are worried about rewarding teams like Rutgers for doing what they already do now? Look at who LSU, Bama or some of these other schools played this week.

I wish there was a way to require more of a challenge to OOC scheduling. It will never happen, but ultimately I'd like to see the five surving BCS conferences play 8 games in conference and the remaining four against other BCS teams (one from each conference). Getting to four superconferences would allow the same, plus an opening week patsy.

When you have to finish #1 or #2, you have a greater incentive to avoid teams that could give you a defeat than if you have an 8 team playoff.

If you only play cupcakes you won't be ranked in the top 8.

To try and maintain some hope of parity in college football, and keep a chance for smaller programs. One representative from every conference, and a few at-large bids. SEC can still get their 2 or 3 teams in.

To try and maintain some hope of parity in college football, and keep a chance for smaller programs. One representative from every conference, and a few at-large bids. SEC can still get their 2 or 3 teams in.

Unfortunately the SEC has 7 teams that would win the BE at a minimum ... so again you can forget parity ... LSU, Bama, Arkansas, UGA, USC, Auburn, Florida and probably even Tennessee and even Kentucky would probably win the BE going away ... a couple of those teams ... UK or Tenn might lose a game or two ... the others go through unscathed ...

Unfortunately the SEC has 7 teams that would win the BE at a minimum ... so again you can forget parity ... LSU, Bama, Arkansas, UGA, USC, Auburn, Florida and probably even Tennessee and even Kentucky would probably win the BE going away ... a couple of those teams ... UK or Tenn might lose a game or two ... the others go through unscathed ...

I mean parity in the sense that other teams get included in the dance. Without auto qualifiers, the biggest of the big will only be stronger, and everyone else drops off even more.

I mean parity in the sense that other teams get included in the dance. Without auto qualifiers, the biggest of the big will only be stronger, and everyone else drops off even more.

I know what you mean but would you rather watch a close fought game between two powerhouses or watch OU vs UConn again? Give me LSU vs Bama each and every time ... there will be teams that enter the fray that aren't traditional powers but really unlike college hoops George Mason won't make the semis in this tourney, in football the talent gap is harder to hide and compensate for than it is college hoops.

My vision of the playoff system would still include much of the same bowl system as well. You would have all of the same bowls in addition to a playoff system for the best teams.

I know what you mean but would you rather watch a close fought game between two powerhouses or watch OU vs UConn again? Give me LSU vs Bama each and every time ... there will be teams that enter the fray that aren't traditional powers but really unlike college hoops George Mason won't make the semis in this tourney, in football the talent gap is harder to hide and compensate for than it is college hoops.

The risk is that no SEC teams would ever play a Big East school, so there would nev be an opportunity to prove they belonged.

I think the biggest issue for college football right now is that they may be in the process of becoming a regional sport. The last five champions are all from the SEC, likely to have an SEC champion again this year. One reason the NFL is so popular is that everyone has a chance to win, even a small market team like Green Bay can win. If the only way to win a championship is to play in the SEC, why would somebody in California or Illinois watch that? It's like college football is becoming NASCAR circa 1976 - popular in the southeast, pretty irrelevant everywhere else.

When you have to finish #1 or #2, you have a greater incentive to avoid teams that could give you a defeat than if you have an 8 team playoff.

I'm not sure that would be true - you need to beat some decent teams to jump up to #1 or #2 right now (if you're ot an SEC team) - if all a PAC12 team needs to do is make the top 8 they should probably play all OCC cupcakes. And if the SEC didn't risk losing OCC games, they might have 5 of 8 in a playoff based solely on national rankings.

I dont get it, if we were to take the top eight teams in the country today there would be 2 non AQ schools and one with 1 loss that would be included. Not sure how the current BCS popularity contest doesnt help the big get bigger.

I dont get it, if we were to take the top eight teams in the country today there would be 2 non AQ schools and one with 1 loss that would be included. Not sure how the current BCS popularity contest doesnt help the big get bigger.

The entire purpose of the BCS is to limit the access of other schools to the big money. Any argument that the BCS benefits the non AQ schools is therefore a little strange.

Without a doubt if it's a playoff, I want every conference in there. Not a question about it at all.

The current system does favor the bigs. But a playoff would do so even more unless you have AQs.

The risk is that no SEC teams would ever play a Big East school, so there would nev be an opportunity to prove they belonged.

I think the biggest issue for college football right now is that they may be in the process of becoming a regional sport. The last five champions are all from the SEC, likely to have an SEC champion again this year. One reason the NFL is so popular is that everyone has a chance to win, even a small market team like Green Bay can win. If the only way to win a championship is to play in the SEC, why would somebody in California or Illinois watch that? It's like college football is becoming NASCAR circa 1976 - popular in the southeast, pretty irrelevant everywhere else.

False ... didn't LSU take on Oregon ... Bama took on PSU ... and now you are saying they won't play the BE ... you are killing me dude.