A great night | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

A great night

The risk is that no SEC teams would ever play a Big East school, so there would nev be an opportunity to prove they belonged.

I think the biggest issue for college football right now is that they may be in the process of becoming a regional sport. The last five champions are all from the SEC, likely to have an SEC champion again this year. One reason the NFL is so popular is that everyone has a chance to win, even a small market team like Green Bay can win. If the only way to win a championship is to play in the SEC, why would somebody in California or Illinois watch that? It's like college football is becoming NASCAR circa 1976 - popular in the southeast, pretty irrelevant everywhere else.

Oh wait ... didn't LSU just pasted WVU for the second year in a row as well ... you are way off on this one.

If you had to win your conference to be able to go to a playoff, yes...you would have games like this every week.

Or... if you had to win every game to stay in the top 8 to make the playoffs then you would have games like this every week too.

A playoff system doesn't diminish the value of any of the games during the regular season. The CFB season is so short that every game would still matter. You might be able to get away with losing 1 game and still make a playoff but probably not 2 games.

Or... if you had to win every game to stay in the top 8 to make the playoffs then you would have games like this every week too.

A playoff system doesn't diminish the value of any of the games during the regular season. The CFB season is so short that every game would still matter. You might be able to get away with losing 1 game and still make a playoff but probably not 2 games.

Exactly, I don't understand why people think a playoff diminishes the season, it does not it just proves who the best team is and keeps the polls out of it (which is why I want conference winners). College football is what the NBA big wigs and refs try to make the NBA, put the 2 teams that can give them the best ratings.

There are 11 conferences, so take the 11 conference champs and 5 at large teams for a 16 team playoff. Here's what the brackets would be. I'm using the BCS standings to determine the 5 at large teams:

#1 LSU (SEC) vs. #16 Louisiana Tech (WAC)
#8 Houston (C-USA) vs. #9 Oklahoma (at large)
#4 Oklahoma St. (Big 12) vs. #13 Louisville (Big East)
#5 Virginia Tech (ACC) vs. #12 TCU (Moutain West)

#2 Alabama (at large) vs. #15 Arkansas St. (Sun Belt)
#7 Boise St. (at large) vs. #10 Oregon (at large)
#3 Arkansas (at large) vs. #14 Northern Illinois (MAC)
#6 Stanford (Pac-12) vs. #11 Michigan St. (Big 10)

Bingo!

There are 11 conferences, so take the 11 conference champs and 5 at large teams for a 16 team playoff. Here's what the brackets would be. I'm using the BCS standings to determine the 5 at large teams:

#1 LSU (SEC) vs. #16 Louisiana Tech (WAC) (blowout why bother)
#8 Houston (C-USA) vs. #9 Oklahoma (at large)
#4 Oklahoma St. (Big 12) vs. #13 Louisville (Big East) (blowout why bother)
#5 Virginia Tech (ACC) vs. #12 TCU (Moutain West)

#2 Alabama (at large) vs. #15 Arkansas St. (Sun Belt) (blowout why bother)
#7 Boise St. (at large) vs. #10 Oregon (at large)
#3 Arkansas (at large) vs. #14 Northern Illinois (MAC) (blowout why bother)
#6 Stanford (Pac-12) vs. #11 Michigan St. (Big 10)

Need I even elaborate on this ...well if I must ... you can eliminate 4 games right off the bat ... gee looks almost like the BCS as it is ... stick with the top 8 teams ... period ... and why should UNI, Arkansas St., or La Tech get in over a team that could put up a fight (like GA who won the SEC East)? No reason for it at all. There would be at least 4 throw away games each playoff. If I had my druthers:

#1 LSU vs #8 Houston
#2 Bama vs #7 Boise St
#3 Arkansas vs #6 Stanford
#4 Ok State vs #5 Va Tech

That would be sweet and much more entertaining to watch with some really good matchups there. LSU and Bama are the antithesis of Houston and Boise (big physical nasty defenses vs high flying offenses)... Arkansas and Stanford in a shootout. And Va Tech's D vs Ok State O ... who wouldn't like that ... hypothetically leading to a second round of (going strictly by BCS seeding)

LSU vs Ok State
Bama vs Arkansas (rematch 1)

Championship
LSU vs Bama (rematch 2)

Now that is a tourney!