A great way to spend 16 minutes | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

A great way to spend 16 minutes

fair enough - i just went by the late great john saunders aying "25k plus"

26,474 still seems low. i realize 30k is hard to get on a school night...

Only reason I know is because in the “30k for UNC” thread, this was the first game I thought of when thinking about how hard it is to get 30k on a weeknight regardless of how big the game is.

Awesome. Remember this game like it was yesterday.

Serious question: when was our last transition alley-oop? I honestly can't recall one from this year or last.

Hammer Toes was good in the press. Etan was just on a different level.

Etan may have been one of the best shot blockers in college hoops history.
Yeah...I always remember the notes on him that he blocks just as many shots right handed as left. Surprisingly, a very rare skill!

Was at that game! 15 years old. Heaven on earth!

Lot of good players on that squad. Too bad how we fell against MSU in the tourney.

I miss those shorts. I remember drawing this symbol daily doodling my way through middle school.

834CD9C7-A617-4A35-8659-B2F185464D8E.jpeg

Was at that game! 15 years old. Heaven on earth!

Lot of good players on that squad. Too bad how we fell against MSU in the tourney.

I miss those shorts. I remember drawing this symbol daily doodling my way through middle school.

View attachment 123066

My all time favorite SU logo.

That. Was. AWESOME!!!

A couple of quick thoughts:
  • It is amazing how young JB / Calhoun looked
  • Sad to see Tony Bland, in light of recent circumstances
  • The mere sight of Khalid El-Amin still fills me with visceral disdain
  • What a waste DeShaun Williams ended up being -- what a talent

Nice find. That was a great student section back then. The students today would do well to review this tape and take notes.

Today even if they show up, they’re too busy holding their phones up to record anything cool that happens instead of cheering like that.

Some thoughts:
  • Burr!
  • Damone Brown was an underrated player
  • I loved watching Etan Thomas play
  • Jason Hart had such a weird jumper
  • Allen Griffin really doesn't look that different
  • I had totally forgotten how much I hated Jake Voskuhl
  • Kueth looked as happy at the end of that game as he did late on 4/7/03

Jake Voskuhl was a good guy, asked permission to come to the SU locker room and congratulate them and Etan in particular on the win.

Other thoughts, thanks to Orange DW for finding this in the other thread.

The blue curtain made the atmosphere in the building. They should've found a way to bring it back when they installed the new screens a couple years ago.

Great ball movement, both in the halfcourt and for pushing transition without the use of the dribble. We got a lot of free points that night. When you've got a 2-on-1 break, there's no defender you'd rather see than Khalid El Amin. He was hopeless in those situations.

Hart's first-half 14-footer miss before a Brown putback...wow. Wide left.

If SU's teams of that era had had the strength and conditioning that the current players benefit from, they'd have been unstoppable. Imagine Deshaun Williams with a positive mindset and 10 pounds lighter. He'd have been All America.

The last minute took about 10 minutes, and I remember that the excitement was building. Nobody wanted to beat the traffic. It was a celebration four years in the making...it'd been a long time since we'd had a great Dome win against a top-ten team, and we never caught a break against UConn (except for the one road win when they'd held out a bunch of injured players).

I miss John Saunders. He did a lot of things well, including playing straight man to Fun Dick Vitale. (Even those who criticize him ought to admit that it's fun to hear him calling a Syracuse rout in progress.)

Last edited:
2003-2004 was the last year.

2004-2005 it was gone.

Pretty sure it was gone for the '03-'04 Globetrotters opener, they'd installed the small video boards that summer and thought it'd block views of the one in the east end zone. Wish I could find a photo, there was a great shot of freshman Roberts going up for a dunk with a ton of empty space in the background.

Pretty sure it was gone for the '03-'04 Globetrotters opener, they'd installed the small video boards that summer and thought it'd block views of the one in the east end zone. Wish I could find a photo, there was a great shot of freshman Roberts going up for a dunk with a ton of empty space in the background.

I just remember guys like Cedric Ceballos making our players look like 12 year olds.

im not a huge court storming proponent, but cuse fans storm the court like none other.

that team had a lot of talent: hart, etan, Blackwell, griffin, damone, shumpert, deshaun, duany, bland (too bad he left)

I just remember guys like Cedric Ceballos making our players look like 12 year olds.

Yup, Ceballos and the size difference (and Z Sims playing with them) are what I remember, other than the missing curtain and Roberts generally looking like an unpolished potential star.

Found this, but no photos. Globetrotters 83, Syracuse 70

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SYRtoBOS

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom