A lack of passers | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

A lack of passers

i suppose you can learn a lot about flying planes from reading manuals and watching tapes. me...i prefer a pilot with some actual seat time thank you.

Right. Guys like Kareem, Shaquille O’Neal, Bill Walton, and Hakeem Olajuwon didn’t learn anything from Pete Newell. Along with countless other NBA big men. Greatest big man coach ever and he didn’t play the position.

Get a clue man.

true. he did coach those above legends. for 1 whole week at camp. now name the big men he head coached in college.
but yes pete newell was well respected. let little gerry put on a big man camp next summer and see who shows up.
his .1 blocks per game and .5 offensive boards speak to his excellent knowledge, position and footwork in the paint.

Last edited:
true. he did coach those above legends. for 1 whole week at camp. now name the big men he head coached in college.
but yes pete newell was well respected. let little gerry put on a big man camp next summer and see who shows up.
his .1 blocks per game and .5 offensive boards speak to his excellent knowledge, position and footwork in the paint.
Darrell Imhoff. Won a national championship with him at Cal in 1960--beating WVa and Jerry West.

But to the larger point--you don't need to have played a specific position, at a high level, or even played at all, to be able to coach well, in any sport. You need to know the sport, how to teach, and how to reach the people you are coaching.

But to the larger point--you don't need to have played a specific position, at a high level, or even played at all, to be able to coach well, in any sport. You need to know the sport, how to teach, and how to reach the people you are coaching.

totally agree. i also believe you don't need to look down the bench and see 5 ex syracuse guards. some diversity might a positive thing.
and game experience at the position or skill you are teaching is most certainly a plus.

(funny found this thread from 2012...big man coach )

if nothing else i'm consistent in my opinion.

Last edited:
The offense is too stationary, and the fact we only have one player with >2apg highlights this fact. I'd like to see us work the ball into the high post to Dolezaj or Brissett more often. I think that would open up Frank and Tyus to do more off the ball rather than relying on them to create for themselves off the dribble or off weak screens.

Passing from the high post with Osh and Dole could turn our offense around. Dole needs to hit the mid range shot for us to beat the best teams.

Battle and Brissette need to find their teammates more.

totally agree. i also believe you don't need to look down the bench and see 5 ex syracuse guards. some diversity might a positive thing.
and game experience at the position or skill you are teaching is most certainly a plus.

(funny found this thread from 2012...big man coach )

if nothing else i'm consistent in my opinion.

Name those great big man coaches in college basketball that played the position. Do you even know any?

Who coaches the big men at Duke? Nolan Smith, Jeff Capel, Jon Sheyer or Nate James? I can’t believe they couldn’t get Christian Laettner, Danny Ferry or Carlos Boozer. What about Cherokee Parks?

Last edited:

Why was he well respected?