A line in the sand | Syracusefan.com

A line in the sand

OttoinGrotto

2023-24 Iggy Award Most 3 Pointers Made
I'm going to make a statement that's fairly dramatic, but that I feel is true:

If Marrone leaves and if we promote Hack or Shafer to be head coach, the University has given up on the football program and has decided to be content cashing checks from the ACC.

If Marrone leaves and if we promote Hack or Shafer to be head coach, the University has given up on the football program and has decided to be content cashing checks from the ACC.
I don't know how it could mean anything but this. You're absolutely correct... Or absolutely on crack!

I'm going to make a statement that's fairly dramatic, but that I feel is true:

I dunno...
It sounds like there are big ego's, broken promises and hurt feelings on both sides of this one. I'm not ready to give up on SU's commitment to football. They have plans to build the practice facility. They've made improvements. It isn't like they are the Florida Marlins...just cashing checks.

That tells me either (a) you don't think we currently have a good staff or (b) you believed that Marrone was the straw that stirred the drink.

For the record, if every other coach were to stay, I would have no issue with Hackett being HC. The only exception would be if you could get a home run hire, of which there are almost none out there.

You really would rather hire an FCS coach than keep our current proven staff?

You mean like in 1976 when Boeheim was hired to replace Roy Danforth?

Or when Boise promoted Chris Peterson.

But for every JB or Peterson, there's a Bill Guthridge or Frank Spaziani.

SU just needs to be thorough when interviewing them, and comparing to other potential candidates.

Question...

Recruits aside, why does it sound like people prefer Hack or Shafer over a guy like Fiore at SB who has actually won as a HC? Not saying I prefer him, I just don't understand why people just want to pencil in an unproven 34 yr old head coach or a coordinator that has had a defense underperform in the last 2 of 4 years?

Meanwhile you have a guy in Fiore who has won as a HC?

That tells me either (a) you don't think we currently have a good staff or (b) you believed that Marrone was the straw that stirred the drink.

For the record, if every other coach were to stay, I would have no issue with Hackett being HC. The only exception would be if you could get a home run hire, of which there are almost none out there.

You really would rather hire an FCS coach than keep our current proven staff?
I think (a) we have outstanding assistant coaches, but that is no guarantee that there's a good HC among them and b) I think that 4 years in Marrone is now an honest to goodness, 100% legit, bona fide college head coach and to expect one of our assistants to immediately be that is to put your expectation in something highly unlikely.

For the record, while at first I thought Hackett being HC was really interesting, the more I've thought about it the more I've realized any enthusiasm for that move right now is based on his last name and a very small sample size running a successful offense with an unusually experienced college quarterback.

I really would rather hire a specific FCS coach than keep our current staff, and I outright question how proven they are.

Shafer has proven he can put together above average college defenses. I don't know that means he's a proven commodity as a head coach.

Hackett has proven he can put together an above average college offense - once. His other two attempts were putrid. I'm fairly certain that means in sum he isn't at all a proven commodity as a head coach.

The question you have to ask yourself is this: are either of these guys the best head coach we can hire? I believe the answer is no. So the next question is this: if one of them is hired, what is the upside? I think the answer is that we maintain some continuity. So that sparks another question: is continuity to maintain .500 football performance and middle to lower ranked recruiting classes the best our football program can expect?

If Shafer or Hack become HC I believe that means that the University has decided that yes, that is the best we can expect and they've elected to invest accordingly.

And if that's true, we absolutely hoodwinked the ACC.

Question...

Recruits aside, why does it sound like people prefer Hack or Shafer over a guy like Fiore at SB who has actually won as a HC? Not saying I prefer him, I just don't understand why people just want to pencil in an unproven 34 yr old head coach or a coordinator that has had a defense underperform in the last 2 of 4 years?

It's pretty simple really.

Because people are losing their minds.

I have absolutely no faith that TGD can make the right hire. I sincerely hope he leaves.

The thought of Syracuse University hiring the football coach at Stony Brook is laughable. It would be a new low for the program. You need to have higher expectations.

If a guy is a lifetime FCS coach at the age of 50 +/- a couple of years) and hasn't spent a minute in D-1, let alone a BCS or NFL job at, it's probably for a reason.

um Ohio State hired Jim Tressel from Youngtown state, Oregon brought Chip Kelly in from New hampshire , the fact that syracuse might hire a coach from Stoneybrook is not far fetched although i think they hire somebody on the staff or better yet Coach marrone returns

You mean like in 1976 when Boeheim was hired to replace Roy Danforth?

Or like when SU promoted Coach P to replace Coach Mac? The fact is, we are all guessing. There are people who have a better handle on this than those of us here. IF HCDM leaves, I don't think that hiring from within means anything more than the Administration tried to her the best guy for the job.

Question...

Simple for me to answer. I like the staff. I like the systems that have been put in place. I like the up tempo, multiple offense, and I like the aggressive, flexible D. I think these have become successful or us, and somewhat unique. They have carved out a personality for SU football again. And I think this staff has a good handle on what types of players can be successful at SUnin these systems. I believe you don't discard the equity built up over the last several years -- years which have seen SU go from pretty poor, and seemingly lost, to focused, aggressive, and successful. To me, THAT is a case study for hiring from within, just as it was in 1990.

um Ohio State hired Jim Tressel from Youngtown state, Oregon brought Chip Kelly in from New hampshire , the fact that syracuse might hire a coach from Stoneybrook is not far fetched although i think they hire somebody on the staff or better yet Coach marrone returns

1. Tressel had coached at SU and OSU in the past.

2. He was at Youngstown St, he played in 6 championship games in a nine year span and was an Ohio legend.

Kelly was hired by Oregon to be OC. He was promoted by Oregon after a two years when teams started trying to hire him away.

1. Tressel had coached at SU and OSU in the past.

2. He was at Youngstown St, he played in 6 championship games in a nine year span and was an Ohio legend.

Kelly was hired by Oregon to be OC. He was promoted by Oregon after a two years when teams started trying to hire him away.

Let's remember one of those teams was our beloved Orange.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk HD

exactly the point good coaches can came from any level and dont have to have had prior head coaching experience either or they could come from a current staff without ever having previous head coaching experience . to eliminate a potential head coach just because he is at a lower level or is a current member of your staff with no head coaching experience makes no sense

Simple for me to answer. I like the staff. I like the systems that have been put in place. I like the up tempo, multiple offense, and I like the aggressive, flexible D. I think these have become successful or us, and somewhat unique. They have carved out a personality for SU football again. And I think this staff has a good handle on what types of players can be successful at SUnin these systems. I believe you don't discard the equity built up over the last several years -- years which have seen SU go from pretty poor, and seemingly lost, to focused, aggressive, and successful. To me, THAT is a case study for hiring from within, just as it was in 1990.

Well said. Co-sign. Especially considering the unique circumstance that we are moving to a completely new conference.

The only exception? If you can somehow hit a HR (i.e Jim Tressel, even with his baggage).

I want to be on record as having said, I'd triple like this post if the system allowed.

It's my exact sentiments - almost word for word.

And for anyone on this board to feel that Marrone would let SU simply turn over the reigns to anyone on the current staff without his input is absurd - If he thought one of his assistants couldn't handle the promotion, he'd say so.

The guy 86'd a local legend in Dan Conley... He doesn't mess around.

If he leaves - and that's still a big if - Coach Marrone doesn't seem like the kind of guy who'd let what he built fall apart if he could help it.

And there's no doubt in my mind, he'd recommend a successor - if there was one who he felt could excel with the systems in place.

Well said. Co-sign. Especially considering the unique circumstance that we are moving to a completely new conference.

The only exception? If you can somehow hit a HR (i.e Jim Tressel, even with his baggage).

The last thing I wanna watch for the next 15 years is Jim Tressel's ho-hum offense... Talk about boring.

Yeah, he won as Ohio State with that "ground and pound" offense, but a lot of that had to do with the fact that he was at Ohio State.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
newmom4503

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom