A line in the sand | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

A line in the sand

Simple for me to answer. I like the staff. I like the systems that have been put in place. I like the up tempo, multiple offense, and I like the aggressive, flexible D. I think these have become successful or us, and somewhat unique. They have carved out a personality for SU football again. And I think this staff has a good handle on what types of players can be successful at SUnin these systems. I believe you don't discard the equity built up over the last several years -- years which have seen SU go from pretty poor, and seemingly lost, to focused, aggressive, and successful. To me, THAT is a case study for hiring from within, just as it was in 1990.

Excellent argument for continuity. Those guys should be seen and evaluated in the same manner as other BCS coordinators,

Simple for me to answer. I like the staff. I like the systems that have been put in place. I like the up tempo, multiple offense, and I like the aggressive, flexible D. I think these have become successful or us, and somewhat unique. They have carved out a personality for SU football again. And I think this staff has a good handle on what types of players can be successful at SUnin these systems. I believe you don't discard the equity built up over the last several years -- years which have seen SU go from pretty poor, and seemingly lost, to focused, aggressive, and successful. To me, THAT is a case study for hiring from within, just as it was in 1990.

Along those lines, I like our coaching staff's ability to recruit--seems like they do an outstanding job of identifying the right kind of athletes, even when prospects are unheralded.

I also like their ability to game plan, and how they've made the team more competitive almost from the jump [even when our offense was anemic]. Under GRob and to a far lesser extent P, blowout What losses were all too common. Those types of games stopped happening when Marrone took over.

I'd prefer that he stay [along with the majority of the staff], because I believe in this core nucleus of coaches. I don't think it will be the end of the world if they leave, but it will undoubtedly create short term upheaval and could be disruptive to the program's momentum as we embark on transitioning to a new conference.

Lastly, I'm tired of sucking, and I don't look forward to the prospect of having to start over. Not suggesting that this will 100% be what happens if DM leaves, but I enjoyed the improved offense this year. I enjoyed having an OL that was a strength instead of a dreaded liability. I enjoyed beating some tough teams, like Louisville and Missouri. And I enjoyed winning a bowl game in dominant fashion. Would like to see the current coaching staff continue to build this thing and not have to take a step backwards.

Edit: just to be clear from the above, I am not in favor of promoting either Hackett [too inexperienced, running a program might be too big of an undertaking at his current experience level] or Schaefer if DM bails. I want someone with a proven track record of success as a HC.

I want to be on record as having said, I'd triple like this post if the system allowed.

It's my exact sentiments - almost word for word.

And for anyone on this board to feel that Marrone would let SU simply turn over the reigns to anyone on the current staff without his input is absurd - If he thought one of his assistants couldn't handle the promotion, he'd say so.

The guy 86'd a local legend in Dan Conley... He doesn't mess around.

If he leaves - and that's still a big if - Coach Marrone doesn't seem like the kind of guy who'd let what he built fall apart if he could help it.

And there's no doubt in my mind, he'd recommend a successor - if there was one who he felt could excel with the systems in place.
Trust me Doug will not have anything to say about our next coach other than his input to Doc on the current staff.

Trust me Doug will not have anything to say about our next coach other than his input to Doc on the current staff.

That's all I meant... People here were down on hiring from within as if they know anything about who'd actually be a good HC.

Doug will DEFINITELY tell Gross if he thinks one of his staff does or doesn't have the chops.

1. Tressel had coached at SU and OSU in the past.

2. He was at Youngstown St, he played in 6 championship games in a nine year span and was an Ohio legend.

Kelly was hired by Oregon to be OC. He was promoted by Oregon after a two years when teams started trying to hire him away.
It would be ironic if Doug gets another job because Chip turns it down.

I really hope he stays here though.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

We've finally got a staff that has built back inroads to our recruiting area's, and you want to hire another outsider like Greg, who might alienate every High School coach east of the Mississippi. If Doug leaves promote one of the current staff, and keep recruiting ties with the coaches.

We've finally got a staff that has built back inroads to our recruiting area's, and you want to hire another outsider like Greg, who might alienate every High School coach east of the Mississippi. If Doug leaves promote one of the current staff, and keep recruiting ties with the coaches.
No, I want to hire the best coach. I don't believe that means one of our assistants.

There is an irrational level of confidence in these guys being able to make the leap. I'm not saying to eliminate them from the candidate pool, but have a candidate pool. If you do the due diligence I doubt they prove to be the best coach we can hire.

Some of you want continuity. I want the best coach.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2

Or when Boise promoted Chris Peterson.

But for every JB or Peterson, there's a Bill Guthridge or Frank Spaziani.

SU just needs to be thorough when interviewing them, and comparing to other potential candidates.

Also Gonzaga and Mark Few on the good list.

I'm going to make a statement that's fairly dramatic, but that I feel is true:

If Marrone leaves and if we promote Hack or Shafer to be head coach, the University has given up on the football program and has decided to be content cashing checks from the ACC.
Why?

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

Why?

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2
We're in a stronger position than we were 4 years ago, and would be choosing a less attractive coaching situation.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
newmom4503

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom